Sportbike World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to replace my chain yesterday (the 1st time I've tried to do this myself) & found I need to use a rivet tool to fasten the chain together. For $10 my dealer will do this but I was wondering if others had done this & was sucessful (read the chain didn't come flying apart @ triple digit speeds:crying:)
Of course the chain company recomended only an expert do this but it would be a pain in the ass to load my bike up into a truck just to get my chain fastened together.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Did My chain and sprockets two nights ago (my first time too) but My master link had a clip (599cc bike) nice and easy, I used motionpro's mini press tool to press together the master link and a pair of pliers to put the clip on.
I think motionpro sell a rivet tool. some folk talk about riveting with pliers, but I wouldn't trust that! (that's just me:) )

Or ask your dealer if he has a rivet tool over the counter, once you buy it, you have it for life

Ride Well:cool:

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked with the dealer & it's a special order tool, probably doesn't want to give up too much business to the do it yourselfers & doesn't keep it in stock. I appreciate the company name (motionpro) & I'll check it out.
I would still like to know that others have done this without a disasterous result. I can't imagine what it would feel like to have your chain come apart @ triple digit speeds :eek:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Marietta Motorsports (The Fastlap trailer you see at the races)carries a combination tool that will break the chain and rivet it back together for $69.00. Marietta Motorsports

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GaBandit12 said:
Marietta Motorsports (The Fastlap trailer you see at the races)carries a combination tool that will break the chain and rivet it back together for $69.00. Marietta Motorsports
GaBandit12,
Thanks for info, I appreciate it. Do you know if it's a no-brainer type of fix that the tool does it well enough to make up for my lack of experience or do I need to be able to gauge the results in order to feel secure about the chain not coming apart ?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Steve,
It comes with instructions that are pretty easy to follow. It's really not a difficult job if you have the tool....you don't want to try to do it without it, though. If you have trouble, you can call those guys and they are pretty helpful, or someone on here can help you. I wouldn't be afraid to try it if I were you.....

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GaBandit12 said:
Steve,
It comes with instructions that are pretty easy to follow. It's really not a difficult job if you have the tool....you don't want to try to do it without it, though. If you have trouble, you can call those guys and they are pretty helpful, or someone on here can help you. I wouldn't be afraid to try it if I were you.....
Thanks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just got my chain and sprocket kit, and I found out that it comes with rivet-type master link. So, can I just take the chain to the dealer and have them rivet the master link on for me and then throw it on the bike? According to my manual, you don't need to have the chain open to put the chain on. I don't feel like paying a lot of money to have the dealer install the chain for me just because I don't have the rivetting tool...

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I have a rivet tool kit that I was able to purchase. Since I had no luck with a clip on masterlink I would highly recommend a rivet master link. It is not too terribly hard to do once started. Steve, I would have no problem loaning you this kit of mine if you need it.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AirKnight said:
According to my manual, you don't need to have the chain open to put the chain on. I don't feel like paying a lot of money to have the dealer install the chain for me just because I don't have the rivetting tool...
If you replace the sprockets & have the dealer stick the chain on it shouldn't cost much. A friend trailered his bike down to the dealer & had them rivet the chain on & it cost $10. pretty cheap. Took them about 5 mins

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
AirKnight: To put on a one piece chain (once that link is rivetted) you will need to put your chain adjustments to the slackest ever, move the wheel forward, pull out the left side of the axle, slip on the chain, back with the axle ----- now roll on the chain n to the sprockets & finally adjust the proper slack.
One probem is your sportbike requires the use of a rear stand to perform the above, so it might be better to pay the dealer TILL you obtain your own rear stand.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have no problem getting the rear of the bike off the air with jack stands. If that doesn't work, I can borrow a rear stand from someone. So, I think I'm going to tackle this myself.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Marietta Motorsports Kit

I purchased an Emgo rivet kit from Marietta Motorsports a couple years ago and it works great. Good price also. Just a bit of advice: I always grind the down the rivets on the old chain to make flush with teh plate before using the breaker (included tooling in the kit). This makes it a lot easier on the tool.

·
Registered
580 Posts
At 30K my Superhawk chain is finally starting to bind up a bit, and the sprockets have a little "hook" to the teeth. I've ordered the motion pro mini press tool to assemble the master link on my new drive train, and the motion pro rivet tool to lock it in place. I've got the chain and sprockets but no tools yet. When the tools arrive in a week or so I'll post back with the results.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well I just got an Email this morning that 'nick_nolastname'
replied to this thread. So I figured that I would give everyone an update. on the Rk Quick Acceleration kit (520 front and rear sproket and chain, with -1 tooth in front) that I installed a little over two years ago. the chain is held together with a clip type master link. She is still going stong, I have been to 150mph(indicated) many time since installation, and no problems yet. I do, however, lube the chain religously, with chain wax.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I put my chain on with a clip-link, so far so good.

As for getting the chain riveted first - I thought about that, but when I looked at the bike it didn't seem possible due to the routing of the chain, you milage may vary.

My plan was to buy a clip-link for like $3 from a dealer, install that myself. When I have time I'm gonna ride the bike down to the dealer and get them to install the rivet-link that came with my chain for the $10. $13 later I have a safe, speed-ready rivet chain w/out the need to trailor my bike.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Thats a damn good idea speedboy... where were you when I was dropping 90 bucks on a motion pro rivet tool? Oh well. Tools are still on the way, Im driving on the old chain/sprockets still. ill post when I get them and the tools.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts