Sportbike World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend of mine has an 88 Honda Hawk GT that he just bought pretty cheap. It has what I think is a full Muzzy system on it but it may just be a slip on.

Anyway his packing is all ate up and it sounds like S#[email protected] his can is held together with rivets. Is it common practise to drill out the rivets and repack it or would it be better to try and find a new exhaust? I wouldn't have a problem with drilling them out but I was wondering if there was more to it than that.

Thanks in advance,
Luke

------------------

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I have never repacked a street can but the race cans I've dealt with(FBF Forza and Muzzys) it is about as simple as you are assuming. Drill out the rivets and the rest will be pretty obvious. :)

------------------
Ride Hard!

John

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think that you are on the right track. I might be wrong, but I though that any end can could be repacked if needed. I have seen kits for specific brands, but any can in theory should be re-packable.

Good Luck

------------------
GSX-R750 -- If speed kills, do brakes give life?

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
GSX,

I believe you are correct. The only aftermarket "street" can I have purchased was a Vance & Hines and their's are designed for repacking and they sell the kits for it.

I would think that all of the aftermarket cans could be repacked. I think the endcaps on OEM pipes are typically welded instead of riveted. I wish I could modify my stock cans.

------------------
Ride Hard!

John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts