Sportbike World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok long story short. I have a 2000 buell lightning x1. I went out with some buddies and we went downtown to get some food. Needless to say it's busy down there and we have to park at meters. Well as my luck would have it someone parking in the stall next to me hit my bike and knocked it over and left(dam cagers!!).
only a lil bit of cosmetic damage but i had my stearing head lock on and well it wont unlock now. I got it home (thanks AAA ) and finally got it undone by the lil screw on it, but my question is in the manual it says in order to get it out you have to raise the front end and and drop the forks about 1.5 milimeters in order to remove it. First is there any way to get it out easyer or how and what should i use to get the front off the ground?? it seems it would be rather hard to being the shock is right there and my pipes as well, i can take the pipes off but i dont wanna mess with the shock. Maybye im making this harder than it sounds some info would be helpfull, so i dont have to carry this huge log chain aroud ne more.:

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
phatkidwit1eye said:
ok long story short. I have a 2000 buell lightning x1. I went out with some buddies and we went downtown to get some food. Needless to say it's busy down there and we have to park at meters. Well as my luck would have it someone parking in the stall next to me hit my bike and knocked it over and left(dam cagers!!).
only a lil bit of cosmetic damage but i had my stearing head lock on and well it wont unlock now. I got it home (thanks AAA ) and finally got it undone by the lil screw on it, but my question is in the manual it says in order to get it out you have to raise the front end and and drop the forks about 1.5 milimeters in order to remove it. First is there any way to get it out easyer or how and what should i use to get the front off the ground?? it seems it would be rather hard to being the shock is right there and my pipes as well, i can take the pipes off but i dont wanna mess with the shock. Maybye im making this harder than it sounds some info would be helpfull, so i dont have to carry this huge log chain aroud ne more.:

·
Registered
11 Posts
It is easy.Get a length of 1/2 in.steel rod 20 in. long,2 jackstands,and a 9$ bottle jack.
Put the steel rod through the rear axle,place the jackstand under the right side,and the other next to the left.tilt the bike to the right[this puts the rod end on the right stand]and push the left stand under the rod.then put the bottle jack under the motor[there is a flat spot you will see]then jack it up.
I do this to polish my wheels,cause i just sit and spin them.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the tip it worked like a champ:D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts