Sportbike World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped my bike and put a nice scratch on the pipe. I was just wondering if there are any products that would be able to remove or at least reduce the scratches.

Anyone have any experience with this?
I'm not sure what metal the pipe is made out of, but it's a stock pipe on a ninja 500R

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
If they are stock pipes, they're chromed steel. Not much you can do with that except chrome polish for the bigger areas. If there are scratches that are through the surface and starting to show rust, you can rub some aluminum paint into the rusty spot with a rag. It will silver color the rust making it far less noticeable but it will never be the same as the chrome that was there. It will also need touched up every so often but it's easy so...

One other alternative if the finish bugs you that much would be to find a sheet metal shop that can shear a sheet of stainless or aluminum to wrap the pipe with, holding the covers on with hose clamps hidden behind. If you use aluminum you can put a brushed finish on it by using a typical body shop scratch pad, rubbing lengthwise to keep the scratches running one way looking brushed. If you're ambitious, you can polish the aluminum too but that's a pain initially and a pain for maintenance. Especially if it's a soft aluminum as sheet will often be. 3003 is a typical alloy often used in sheet for its formability but it corrodes easily, leaving that typical white powder you'll so often see on aluminum. That's what you're likely to get at a hardware store. 6061 is another fairly common alloy that's much harder and may be found readily at a fabricator or a metals supplier. It will hold a finish much better but still requires regular maintenance for a top finish.

Then there's E-Bay. With all of the non-stock exhausts you may be able to get a used one in good shape for a very right price. This or the aluminum paint would probably be my two considered alternatives. Good luck.:thumb:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts