Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fortunate enough to have the sweet pink graphics on my 91 F2 and as lovely as they are would like to get rid of them. My question is how do you get 11 year old graphics off of the bike? Using a heat gun wouldn't be the best idea on plastic panels I"m sure...so are there any plastic safe products to use, or just by hand, or will a heat gun work ok if I'm very careful? Basically I don't want to ruin the panels on my bike in the process of taking off the graphics.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've used a hairdryer on low setting in the past for those stickers on the fairing. Worked well and didn't damage the plastic. Just took a little longer than my heat gun did on the metal. If you're worried about damaging the plastic, outline the target with insulating tape. that way the tape should protect the plastic and the heat will focus on the sticker.

Just need to get the sticker warm, not hot. It should then peel away easily. I haven't tried it for stickers as old as yours though.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
Keep in mind that stickers that old, there may be some fading of the plastics around it. Are you replacing them with other colors, or just taking them off?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Pink?

I dunno about you but ill will take faded plastic over pink stripes any time. Pink graffics on motorcycles are like motorcycle mullets.
And by the way, we puilled the pink stickers of my buddys fzr600 just by letting each side get like 2hrs of colorado sun, pelled of in one piece both sides. And if that dosent work just take a sharpie and color it black, no one will know!! Good Luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
I used a hair dryer on low setting to remove mine also. There was some adheasive(sp?) still on there and I used Goof-Off to remove the sticky stuff. If you use Goof-Off do not let it sit on the paint or plastics. I sprayed it on and wiped it off right away and it worked perfect, can't even tell.

·
Registered
1 Posts
tool

I know at body shops they have this tool that hooks up to the compressor and spings a rubber like circle. It takes the stickers off really easy, and didnt seem to hurt the paint at all either. When I took them off my bike to get it painted, I used that at the body shop. Took almost no time at all. I'd find a local one and be cool to the guys and see if you could use it really quick. Just a thought...

·
Registered
41 Posts
We use those here at our body shop their called an eraser wheel and you need to be carefull because they can eat into plastic very quick and will get hot and melt if you leave in in one place to long. But yes they work very well and they cost about $15 ea at an automotive paint supply store.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 90 FZR400 and couldn't get the stickers off for anything, I tryed goof off,,,heat gun,,paint remover,,,and finally found something from NAPA called DECAL And GRAPHIC remover, tryed that and it ate thru my fairing,,,,so in no case, buy this stuff,,,its scary how it ate through...I ended up using wet sand paper and taking the whole panel off then repainting.

·
Registered
15 Posts
W-D 40

I had a can-o-tuna once and just about tried everything to get the stickers off and just messed everthing up. On one of my CBR's I used W-D40 and worked like a charm. It took a little elbow grease, but it was worth the result.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey man, I'm in the same boat you are. I also have a 91 F2 with those same silly pink stripes. They're just nasty. I've seen soem pics with them changed to silver though, and that looks real nice. Anybody got any ideas on painting or replacing the vinyl stickers. As for taking them off, a hairdryer and and patience is the best way to go.
Cheers!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I used "Bumper Sticker remover" on my truck to remove the badges (its a 96) last summer. It worked fine. I also just recently used it on my bike to get rid of that "Always wear your helmet" sticker on the gas tank of all new bikes. I'd recommend that stuff, a hairdryer, and a good rag and soap.

·
Registered
88 Posts
bikerboyfromto said:
Hey man, I'm in the same boat you are. I also have a 91 F2 with those same silly pink stripes. They're just nasty. I've seen soem pics with them changed to silver though, and that looks real nice. Anybody got any ideas on painting or replacing the vinyl stickers. As for taking them off, a hairdryer and and patience is the best way to go.
Cheers!

He posted the question in July of 2002, I bet the stripes are long gone :laughing:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts