Sportbike World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went for a ride today and stopped to get a bite to eat. In the middle of lunch, a guy comes in and asks "Is that your bike outside?"

YEAH! WHY! was my reply.

"It's laying on its side" he said.

AWW F*&K! says I and run out to see what happened. There was my baby laying on it's side. Nobody saw it happen, but I'm guessing somebody screwed with it and it fell over. Unfortuantely, it didn't pin them underneath.

Anyway, the damage is pretty minimal. There is a slight scuff on the edge of the fairing. The frame slider took most of the fall. The bolt for the bar end is bent. The worst damage is to the Micron CF can which hit the edge of the curb. It has some scratches in it which you can see in the picture below.

Is there any way to get these scratches out? Sanding maybe? Any hints would be appreciated.

If you want to see the rest of the pics. then look here.
http://members3.clubphoto.com/don264150/Tipover_Damage/

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I have no idea, but that sucks. Someone should be shot. I agree, I hope to find someone pinned if I ever see my baby laid over, hopefully they would help prevent damage by cushioning the fall.

·
Squid
2019 Ducati Monster 1200s
813 Posts
I'd have to say the best advise is to get a hold of Micron to se what they to say about touch up on CF.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Don, Thats a big ol bummer!

Maybe Micron will sell you a replacement outside CF skin for the can???

Hey, are'nt you glad you had those frame sliders on! PHEW! I dropped mine in the garage not more than two weeks after installing the sliders and it saved everything except the mirror and a minor scuff on the left tail cowl.

·
Squid
2019 Ducati Monster 1200s
813 Posts
Another good idea is to pull down your passanger pegs when you park it incase it's accidently/intentionally knocked over . Saved me once. Bent the peg a little but I didn't get a scratch on pipe or rear cowl.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jk-

The passenger pegs were down, but the edge of the curb hit the can right after the peg. The rear peg never actually made contact with the ground. I'm not sure that would have helped too much anyway, it seems like the rear peg would fold up just as easily as the fronts.

Kyle-

Good idea, I've got an email in to Micron to see about repair/replacement. Yes, frame sliders a re a marvelous thing.

For the time being, I have colored in the scratches with a Sharpie permanent marker. They aren't as visible, but I know they are there :(.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Word from Micron

This is the reply I got from Micron.

Don:

Carbon fibre is a fabric, with epoxy resin as the binding finish. Thus,
scratches cannot be removed, or fixed in any real way, all you can do is
purchase a new sleeve and slide it on...

The carbon fibre sleeve sells for $189.95, and the new colored carbon fibre
sleeves sell for $289.95.

Do you think they want to sell me a new cover? ;)
For that kind of money, I think I'll just live with the scratches.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
You could TRY and polish it out with NO 7 polish, but I would try it on the back of the pipe first just to make sure it's not going to scratch the hell out of the finish. As far as the Resin comment - that's what makes me think you could polish it out because clear coats are nothing more than a resin.

Just my 2cents.

P.S. No 7 comes in a green can and can be found at most auto parts supply stores.

Chris

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
chris_y2k_r1 said:
.. No 7 comes in a green can and can be found at most auto parts supply stores...

Do you know who makes No 7? It seems to me that I have some No 7 in the garage, but it is a chrome polish. Is that the same stuff you are talking about?

G

·
Don,

First of all I am ashamed of you. You should make a better story up ! Say you were draggin your pipe at the track !! ;)

Try one of those super 29zz polish scratch removers, they fill in the scratches ,.. just match up your color and no more scratches :D

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
I'm not sure who makes it.. I actually think that No 7 might be the name of the company and the name of the product I am thinking of might actually be called "White".

I know what you are talking about, the chrome polish, and no that's not it. It comes in a flat can that looks sort of like car wax cans. It has a press on lid and is decorated with the same colors as the bottle you are speaking of.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Squidwannabe said:

First of all I am ashamed of you. You should make a better story up ! Say you were draggin your pipe at the track !! ;)

I might have tried cooking up a story like that but I didn't for 2 reasons.
1) I was way too pissed off to be creative.
2) It would have been hard ot pull off with the scratches being on top of the can instead of the bottom/side :D.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give them a shot and let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
How about removing the Micron label, filling in the holes w/epoxy, then rotating the sleeve to a less visible position (180 degrees)? Those replacement prices are insane!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts