Sportbike World banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
No it's been moved, but we're having trouble getting the stupid domain registrar to point to the new ip address that the site is on.
Did they move it to India? :huh:

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
damn, this is takin a bit of time to move a box and wire it up, huh?

i hate this site, and im really surprised i can actually post and not have to log in 30 times to actually be able to post.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
damn, this is takin a bit of time to move a box and wire it up, huh?

i hate this site, and im really surprised i can actually post and not have to log in 30 times to actually be able to post.
We had your acct fixed to do that, but decided to suspend that in lieu of the new site being down to give you a break :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hopefully it takes less time to move the site to another provider that knows what the hell they are doing. Don't give me the boo-hoo story about the power problem either. Any reputable company would be able to recover from an outage like this by now. Just imagine the lost revenue from any commercial sites that were or still are down. I guess that's what you get when your hosting provider has the server up on milk crates in his basement!

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Hopefully it takes less time to move the site to another provider that knows what the hell they are doing. Don't give me the boo-hoo story about the power problem either. Any reputable company would be able to recover from an outage like this by now. Just imagine the lost revenue from any commercial sites that were or still are down. I guess that's what you get when your hosting provider has the server up on milk crates in his basement!
Is that really necessary? The servers were not sitting on milk crates, they are at a reputable company. The site for all intensive purposes is up. The problem right now is our domain registrar which was selected years ago. They are old and outdated and aren't picking up the new ip and name servers properly.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Is that really necessary? The servers were not sitting on milk crates, they are at a reputable company. The site for all intensive purposes is up. The problem right now is our domain registrar which was selected years ago. They are old and outdated and aren't picking up the new ip and name servers properly.
A disruption like this is inexcusable, thus my take on the company sucking. They should have redundant EVERYTHING, so this shouldn't ever been an issue. Multiple power sources, UPSes, generators, etc were made for situations just like this.

Just so we're clear, I'm ripping on the company, not you, so relax. :D

Why the hell do we need a new IP anyway?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
A disruption like this is inexcusable, thus my take on the company sucking. They should have redundant EVERYTHING, so this shouldn't ever been an issue. Multiple power sources, UPSes, generators, etc were made for situations just like this.

I completely agree it's regrettable, and their disaster recovery plan obviously sucks. Not to mention now the rumor mill is flying, everything from the FBI raided them to they attempted to a power upgrade and F'ed it up without notification to the customer base. They are talking refunds however since we only pay $100 a year that's really only $8.33 a month. I'm negotiating with the hosting company.

We need a new ip because we moved the server from building H1 to H2 which is 3 miles away in Houston. This is a 2 fold problem, The Planet has not completed the setup on Techy Geeks names servers properly and StartLogic (our domain registrar) is not propagating the the ip change I made to our domain. I'm seriously considering moving our registration to godaddy.

·
Registered
354 Posts

:laughing:

That costs a shit ton. Not even Valve (Half-Life, Counter Strike Source) has this installed. The kicker is you need access to the server to even initialize the game, single OR multiplayer. So when a tornado hit their login servers no one could play the games they paid $50+.

Acts of God happen nothing can totally prevent failure.

·
Registered
132 Posts
:laughing:

That costs a shit ton. Not even Valve (Half-Life, Counter Strike Source) has this installed. The kicker is you need access to the server to even initialize the game, single OR multiplayer. So when a tornado hit their login servers no one could play the games they paid $50+.

Acts of God happen nothing can totally prevent failure.
The difference is that Valve doesn't make a living providing hosting services and taking reasonable measures to ensure those machines stay up. Besides, I'm sure they have some combination of those things in place if not all of them. Redundant electrical and fire supression systems should take care of most things. Torandoes, earthquakes, etc fall into a different category.

If you want to bring religion into it, what did we do to anger him? Ah yes, some of us grossly inflated our post counts. I would smite the whole Redline community for that if I had the power too! ;)

·
Premium Member
4,824 Posts

Attachments

41 - 57 of 57 Posts