Sportbike World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a general question. How do some of you guys or ladies line your rear wheel after adjusting your chain? I always use the marks or notches on the rear wheel. Or is it rear wheel swingarm? Oh well... anyways.... I have read in the magazine not to use the marks and that they are not accurate. I use them anyway. I have tried to use the string method, but I have yet to figure it out.

I have seen the professional alignment tools, but I really do not want to spend any money on this. Any suggestions? How do some of you guys or ladies line your rear wheel up? Thanks for any response!

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I measure from a fixed point on the back of the swingarm on each side. Usually the welded in fitting that the axle goes through. It should be more accurate than the marks since it is machined from billet.

We used the string method on the Kawi race bikes if they were taken apart or we questioned the alignment. Normally we would do it with the string method once in a weekend then use the aforementioned measuring method the rest of the weekend. Since we didn't do it all that often, I wonder how necessary the string method is. I question its accuracy anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts