Sportbike World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of installing a rear seat cowl.
I went to Targas's site and found a color matched one,but, they want $169.00 for it!!:mad:
Is this the best I am going to do as far as prices???That seems a bit steep to me.
Any suggestions??
JIM

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
I've got a targa for my 98ZX9R. And while I admit it was a little expensive. The fit and finish are 100% better than any of the others I have seen. The color matches EXACTLY and it lines up EXACTLY.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I said the same thing.. but I ended up getting the seat cowl from Targa and it does looks awesome. But the contact points where the cowl rubs against the body created some spots where the paint got rubbed down to the body from the vibrations. I also dont like the way its installed on my Y2k ZX-6R also.. You have to install a post for one of the supports and then have to remove that post to get the rear seat back on. I have to wrap the bottem edge of the seat cowl with some felt liner so it doesnt rub the body anymore. I also payed $165.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hey Robert, I've been thinking about a seat cowl for my 9R. I'm not too familiar with them. Does it completely replace the passenger seat? Also, what about the grab rails? Do you still have them on? If not, when removed, are there big holes left in the tail section? Sorry for so many questions, I'm just pissed because it's to cold to ride here and I've got all these ideas running through my head. Thanks buddy!

·
Squid
2019 Ducati Monster 1200s
813 Posts
I bought the stock rear seat cowl that Yamaha offers for the R1. I like the fit, look, and of course the fact that it's well built.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Cowl

I also have a Targa seat cowl for my 98 ZX9R. I bought it second hand from a dealership in BC Canada. I paid $100 for it since it had a very small scratch on it. They shipped it here (New Brunswick) which is across the whole country for $15. The paint matches perfectly because they use factory paint from Kawasaki's supplier Colorite. I haven't seen cowls for this bike by anybody else.
It follows the lines of the tail section perfectly and provides for a little extra storage than is available under your rear seat. The grab handles remain on, but I would suggest removing the bungie hook posts that have those cloth loops on them. This will give you a little extra room if you never use them like me. You can also remove the two steel brackets that the rear seat hooks into to give some more space for long hauls (I managed 4 days at Louden with everything I needed packed in there). If you remove the grab handles you will have four ugly holes, I've just left mine on, besides putting the bike on a swingarm stand by yourself without them is alot tougher. Remove your pegs and get an exhaust hanger too if you can, it helps keep your girlfriend off the back... If she likes it so much why can't she get her own?... And besides, chicks on bikes rock!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts