Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all,

I was just wondering if anyone out there has done their own rear fender reducing/removing/tricking with a hack saw? I checked the lockhart and phillips price for a fender trick kit and it was like a hundred bucks :p If you have tried your own rear fender reducing how did you attach the turn signals?

Thanks all!
zepper

Cause I got a sickness for quickness

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Bobbit-ize it

I used a dremel on mine, that was the hard part. The lights and brake light are one on my VFR (no need to relocate). What kind of bike you got?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 95 Kawa zx6r

It is my second bike i had a Yamaha YSR 50 first! :}

I think i can cut off abunch of the fender and leave just enough to mount the turn sinals and bolt the license plate?

But i am still interested in other ideas,
enlighten me o great ones :)

-z

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
My 900ss. It unbolted straight off. Blinkers will be integrated in brake light soon. Tag is ziptied on through the empty boltholes. Cant even see them unless you get down low and look up.
My old F2. Dremeled down the fender. Integrated brake lights. Metal strips that were angled to bolt the tag on at an angle and screwed into the bottom of the storage area.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I used a dremel on my 900RR also. I integrated the signals into the rear light and hacked off as much of the fender as I could, it came out just dandy :D I think most people take the dremel/ hacksaw method, the prices on the fender eliminators is rediculous!

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
if you follow the link below, and go to the pictures section, you can see my f2 that was hacked off and had flush mounts put and my gsxr which still uses stock turn signals.

G

·
When or IF you use a dremel or saw to hack up your fender, You might find the edges a little rough. Heat up your soldering iron and smooth the edges out ... Leaves a smooth edge

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow thanks alot guys! Where did you find brake lights for sale that integrate turn signals? Catalog or website?

Thanks again!

zep

sportbike....its like shaggin

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
anyone i know who has done them used a 'trailer kit' from an auto parts store. be careful, they are hard to see.

the only time i ever saw the tail light blinkers work good was on my friend's r1, but he has diamond lights (which are round led tail lights). they are very trick and pricy.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Used the Dremel to cut off all of the ZX12's fender, and installed an integrator kit. A word of caution - If you do remove the entire fender, you will want to reinforce the area which supports the taillight, otherwise cracking of the bodywork around the taillight could occur.
Some people here made their own integrator kits, but I felt more comfortable buying mine. I installed it over a lunch hour, and still had enough time left over to eat lunch.
I don't have the name of the company handy, I will post it tonight if no one else does, but try http://www.integrator.com. The price was 59.99, and the owner of the company called me to see if I was satisfied, and if I had any problems with the install. Nice touch.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
DoubleAught said:
I installed it over a lunch hour, and still had enough time left over to eat lunch.
I also had mine done with a jig saw for hacking, a dremel for finishing, and a piece of fine sandpaper for smoothing. It looked better than my buddies bought from catalog kit and I saved $60 - $120. My only expense was prob. .10$ of electricity and 10 minutes it took me to finish.

Do it yourself bro, although if you ultimately do decide to purchase one, the afore-mentioned company sounds like a winner. I like that the owner called to check on the level of satisfaction. Nice touch...:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good sugestion Tony, thanks. Funksouljon, how are you incorportating the turnsignals in to the brake/tail light??

Any one have any other ideas?
tanks much,
zep :)

G

·
CBR Brutha said:

I also had mine done with a jig saw for hacking, a dremel for finishing, and a piece of fine sandpaper for smoothing. It looked better than my buddies bought from catalog kit and I saved $60 - $120. My only expense was prob. .10$ of electricity and 10 minutes it took me to finish.

Do it yourself bro, although if you ultimately do decide to purchase one, the afore-mentioned company sounds like a winner. I like that the owner called to check on the level of satisfaction. Nice touch...:)
Nick, I think 00 (my abbreviation for DoubleAught) bought a turn signal integrator kit, not a fender eliminator kit. I thought I told you to lay off that crack! ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didn't even know that this post went to two pages i am new at this. SO thanks Nick and DoubleAught.

-z

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Pete said:
Nick, I think 00 (my abbreviation for DoubleAught) bought a turn signal integrator kit, not a fender eliminator kit. I thought I told you to lay off that crack! ;)
That's what happens when you're at work and only supposed to be using the internet for "business purposes". I was in a hurry as I read it through and didn';t read it thoroughly. How'd I do at covering that time Pete? ;):rolleyes:

Back to the topic...I personally don't like the turn signal integrator idea because of the fact that unless you have LED lights, ala r6, you will most likely not be seen, ESP. during the day. That's why I went with rear cowl-mounted flush mounts. It eliminated the awkward look of the stock signals, and made it easier to see me than integrating. Yet I still totalled it...DAMN that pavement sealer! :)

BTW: I like crack, especialy from the back! :D

·
Registered
987 Posts
BTW, I wouldn't argue with CBR about the better visibility of flush mounts. One thing that the kit does do is turn off the other light completely when you first hit the signal. I haven't noticed any confusion from other drivers when I've signalled, and the cops are so happy to see anyone use their signals (rare here in AL), that they haven't given me any problems at all.
Personally, my driving philosophy is built around the premise that other drivers wouldn't see me even if I covered my bike with money & naked women, so I don't worry that much about them properly interpreting my signals.
Bottom line - if you want to be pretty, do what I did, but if you want to be safe, do what CBR did.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I did mine easily with a hacksaw and a file on my Y2k ZX-6R. Remounted the license plate frame all the way up under the rear light and got flush mount rear blinkers mounted up near the tail. No need to spend so much money on a fender eliminator kit when u can do it for free or $30 with flush mount blinkers. Took me about 1.5 hrs total.. well worth it.

Here's the pic of the rear..

http://www.geocities.com/stylin328i/Bikes/ninjarear.jpg

And some more pics of my bike and friends

http://www.geocities.com/stylin328i/Bikes/

1 - 20 of 23 Posts