Sportbike World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you use the rear brake? I don't, but wonder how many do use it. I do if I want to make the rear slide, but only when I am messing around. Also, how many of you actually touch down when going through turns? My 900SS has good clearance and I can ride off the edges of the 170 metzlers but damn, I don't rub metal! Am I just that much of a sissy? Go ahead with the jokes!

------------------
If if if....
If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass every time he jumps!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Nah dude, you're not a sissy. I scraped the pegs when I had my CBR, and felt cool as he--. In reality, yes I was low, but the clearance on the bike wasn't stellar either. SO that had a lot to do with it. The way I see it: ride with how you're comfortable. The first time I scraped, I wasn't even trying. I was leaning hard 'cause I love doing so, but the scraping was an unexpected occurence. You can bet your a$$ that after that I did it purposely, just because I LOVE TO LEAN!!!

I just read that little problem in the "Who rides the most?" thread. Check back in a little bit and you'll have your answer. I'm at work, but am working it out in my free time. Why you're testing me, I'm not sure. You'll have an answer soon enough though.

------------------
~Nick
Hey squid, wanna race? No, not down that straight road...we're gonna hit the twisties. Hey, where ya' goin'?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Lately, (whenever I've been able to ride...been raining here for a week straight :()I've begun to only use the rear brake when gradually slowing to a stop at a light or stop sign. My bike isn't exactly light and transfers weight big-time to the front wheel when braking hard. The rear tire gets very light, and I've locked it up more than once while applying relatively light pressure to the pedal. So, when riding fast (for me!) i.e. racing from one corner to another and braking hard to slow for the turn, I used to use both, but now try to only use the front. Too easy to lock the rear. Locking the rear isn't as bad as locking the front, but it still is no fun for me.

As for the "dragging pegs" part of the question; I've dragged the pegs quite a few times on my bike. However, my bike has a 150 rear (you may now cease your chuckling!) and I find that I run out of tire sometimes before I scrape the pegs. Also, my bike has a centerstand, which for now I refuse to take off for reasons of laziness, and it drags fairly easily on the right side. I don't quite understand this because the little "foot" that you put your foot on to lower the stand to the ground is on the left side, but the stand more easily drags on the right side. Eh, I'm no Duhamel (sp?) and my bikes not a WSB machine, so I guess I'm happy for now. Cheers.

------------------
Cosmo
"You have some options to choose from: You can lead, you can follow, or you can get out of the way!"

S

·
0 Posts
I used to be able to scrape the pegs on the little cb125 's !! Those are great bikes!!
I've done it a few times on my bike. I usually use the rear brakes a lot (around town) But if I'm riding hard the front's seem to work better.

------------------
Don't hate the PLAYER, Hate the game !!!

Adam

·
Registered
380 Posts
I use the rear (lightly) pretty much exclusively when coming to stop signs or traffic lights, and never really for any other part of the ride.
I have never scraped the pegs or any hard parts on any bike I've ever owned. Not for any lack of trying, my tires are evidence of that. Maybe I'm a big wussy too. Of course, then again, I don't wheelie a Superhawk (intentionally) do does that make me an even bigger wuss? :D

------------------
the reverse side always has a reverse side-
japanese proverb

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, not wheelieing (sp?) doesn't make you a wuss. But that is cause I don't wheelie either. If I did, you would be! I look at my bike and it seems to have really high clearances and I am not trying to drag, but can ride my 170 to the edge.. and BEYOND!

------------------
If if if....

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I use the front and rear brakes. You just have to know when to let go of that rear brake. It keeps you from loading up your front end up as quickly.

As for scraping pegs....I can scrape the peg on the left and the pipe on the right. keep in mind it is an R6.

Noone is a wuss for not doing wheelies. I wouldn't do them for the longest time. I decided I would learn how to corner as to not be called a squid. In fact I learned to do wheelies last weekend. Big long stand up wheelies in 1st and 2nd gear. Man they're fun!!

------------------
You get the best thrills on two wheels!

Damn rice burners!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I use both front and rear brakes almost all the time. This way when I really need it in one of those true emergencies (you know, those left turning idiots and their kind), I will be able to get maximum braking power without thinking about it.

As to scraping my pegs, been there, done that. Wheelies too. Now I enjoy being smooth and riding within my imposed limits. Suits me to a tee, but YMMV...

------------------
Richard M. Poniarski
'00 Kawasaki ZR750F2, a.k.a. ZR-7
AMA #674623
NY S666C
ZR7OA #3

·
Registered
468 Posts
I use the rear brake when I am not braking hard. The harder I am braking, the less I will use the rear. When I am braking REALLY hard, the rear wheel is in the air (or very close to), so using the rear brake would just lock up the rear wheel, and make it hop or slide. as for scraping foot pegs, I scrape mine every once in a while, but maybe your Duc has more ground clearance than my CBR. If it really bothers you , you can always reduce your preload to soften your suspension, then they will scrape for sure. That was a joke, by the way. Don't do it (just in case you took me seriously), although it would work, it might also make the bikes handling dangerous and unpredictable.

------------------
Rossco.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I also brake pretty hard and that is why I don't use the rear. It squirms around on the brink of locking up and that is prep for a corner, not a stoppie. I was taught to ride by friends who race and most of them don't use the rear. I don't want to scrape, do you know how much replacement parts cost for my bike? Just curious, thats all. Now the track is different but my duc wont see a track.

------------------
If if if....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts