Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got my touch up paint in the mail a few days back, decided I would go ahead and try to touch up my problem areas, which were mostly small accept for a big one on the tank where my psp remote rubbed against itand took off a big inch by inch piece of blue paint. I ordered a primer, paint, and clear coat touch up pens. I must say I fucked it up royally, it would have looked better if I had left it be. What do you guys suggest I do to fix these problem. Should I get some sand paper and try it again, only this time use a paint brush or what? I mean its all shitty and caked on there like someone stuck a piece of gum to my bike :(. I suck at life. I havent applied clear coat to pretty much any of the problem spots.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I'd sand it and cover it with bedliner... but thats just me :D

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Have you thought about air brushing it? Those pens dont work well at all and neither do the touch up ones with the little brush, atleast in my experience. It might just be easier to get a little air brush kit and do it that way.

Sepias

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will probably just wait until I have more money and bring it to a shop to have it fixed properly, anyone have any idea how much that would cost?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
If its just a small spot, I wouldn't think it would be more than $50 if its a small single color spot and they dont have to do much blending.

Sepias

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well actaully its a lot of small spots :), like 5 or 6. The biggest one is right on the tank though :(.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well not sure if this will help, I got touch up paint before but this is what you may have to do it work great for me, after the paint dry let it set over night to get better results, get some 2000 grit paper wet sand the area dont work the shine well come back, afer sanding smooth, next use some kind of rubbing compound not the heavy duty but light, try not to rub to hard you can go right through the paint, you should have a high lust shine, last step apply some wax and you're all set. good luck

·
Registered
258 Posts
I will probably just wait until I have more money and bring it to a shop to have it fixed properly, anyone have any idea how much that would cost?
I am a painter and for a Sportbike I could do the touchup for under $200 and you wouldn't see it. But if you go get an estimate, they may tell you that they have to repaint the whole tank, etc.. I'm guessing they will start at 250 and up, but if you're lucky enough to find a Sportbike friendly painter, you might get an honest estimate. There are alot of options for your case, but if you can handle saving up to have it done right, you will save some regrets.

Sepias is on the right track with the Airbrush touch up. Masking the area, blending, and buffing is a good option. If you look in your local phonebook for Airbrush artists, you might get one who is still refining his/her skills and won't outprice your budget.

Truth is, you get what you pay for, just don't pay too much.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi slick1537-

Where on the tank is the damaged paint located? If you've successfully covered the exposed metal and it's located at the rear of the tank, you could just get a tank bra and solve the problem completely.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't really like tank bras, but I suppose it is no big deal since the side of my bike is scraped up now anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts