Sportbike World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I re-geared my Falco last week. I went from a 2.56 (16 up front, 41 in back) to a 2.8 (15 in the front, 42 in back) ratio. I was expecting my speedo to be way off. I verified it by being paced by my wifes Volvo at 15, 25, 30, 40, 55, 65, and 75 mph (I know her car is reading the correct speed). At any given speed I was no more than 2 mph off. As far as I can tell, the speed is not read off the front wheel, so I was expecting an error. Does anyone have any insight as to why this did not occur? Was my speedo in error before the change and I just happened to correct it (this seems unlikely). Hmmmm.... :confused:

·
Registered
37 Posts
speedo error

When I think about it, why would the speedo be off unless you changed the size of the wheels?. The speedo sensor reads off the bolts on your rear brake rotor. You have not changed the brake rotor so bolt revolutions would be the same.

As far as your rear wheel and speedo are concerned it takes X amount of wheel (not sprocket) revolutions to propel the bike at Y speed, why would changing sprockets be a factor?. Regardless of the gearing you use to reach a determined speed, the wheel is still turning at a comparable rate.

If that is confusing, think of it this way. If you switched off engine, removed the sprockets completely and rolled the bike down a hill the speedo would show a reading, even though the engine speed and sprocket gearing are completely out of the picture.

The difference of course would be if a bike's speedo sensor reads off the front sprocket in which case it is computing engine RPM to arrive at vehicle MPH. This means you could remove your chain, start the bike up and run it through the gears and the speedo would show speeds even though the bike is going nowhere :)

hope this helps,
Gregory

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Since it wasn't read off the front wheel, I assumed it was read off the sprocket, which is where the confusion came in. Thanks for clearing that up. (file this under things the owners manual should tell you) :cool:

·
Registered
455 Posts
What you will notice with bikes is that your speedo accuracy can vary with tire wear. By putting the sensor in the back Aprilia have just magnified this problem.

·
Registered
37 Posts
speedo

lucifer said:
By putting the sensor in the back Aprilia have just magnified this problem.
But in doing so they have solved the problem of knowing just how fast you were going when you clicked into 6th gear while riding a wheelie :)

Take care,
Gregory

1 - 5 of 5 Posts