Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What Is the difference betwen these bikes? I noticed the tale looks diff. but is that it? Is an RC51 a bike to buy if you were going to use it as a daily driver?

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Have you not taken the time to look in the m/c mags for they spell it all out to you & duessel is 100% correct.

Unless things change the RC-51 will be a bike of the past that many praised even if they never had one.

·
Registered
241 Posts
RC51 Not a good daily ride bike

I would go with the CBR1000 if you want to use the bike for commuting. The RC51 is very uncomfortable for long saddle time.

·
Registered
153 Posts
both bikes are race replicas..... some people just love that v-twin and others can't live without the inline 4. It comes down to preference.. If you get a chance to ride each of them you'll know what you like. Two different worlds!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Back in '00 the AMA allowed anyone with a twin to race a 1000cc against the 750cc fours. That was the main purpose of the RC-51 for the bike had less power then the Honda 929 & weighed more as the 929 was designed for fast hwy use & would then be the ideal bike if it was switched to 1000cc fours in racing. Get the thinking of Honda?

If you put out the money for all the kits, offered to RC-51 bikes then you could keep on upgrading the bike to be next to factory bikes. Most would not because of the price was simply ghastly plus being so late & so did their own. Then the advantage of the 1000cc twin against the 750cc four was dropped by the AMA & so the 1000cc fours took over as they have in AMA racing.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Hang onto the words of LDH for he does not sling any bull & knows his bikes.

Oh & LDH I see you have the CBR1000 with the best of gripers on the petrol tank. I will have to get at least two if not three sets for my bikes, but lost the e-mail address of the firms that handle them. Hink, Hint.

·
Honda Moderator
458 Posts
Brad at Superbike Supply got me my last set of Stompgrip. His prices are generally some of the best on the market & if you tell him I sent you he will probably charge you double ;)

Brad or Mary 828-252-2280

It comes in opaque colors now too

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
I'd never even seen something like that. Does it degrade your ability to move around on the bike when on the track? It would just seem you'd occasionally get "stuck" moving from one side to the other.

·
Honda Moderator
458 Posts
Oh hell no... Stompgrip is the best $40 mod you can put on your bike. Unlike Fender Eliminators & stupid poserific flushmount turn signals etc this stuff actually is performance enhancing.

It allows you to grip the tank with your legs to help alleviate the strain on your wrist & back from heavy braking & for short little dwarfs like me allows us to hook a leg onto the tank at high lean angles & pull myself back across the bike when making the transition back out of the turn. In some cases my foot won't even be reaching the footpeg at all when I am coming out of a turn hard on the gas & the Stompgrip helps me stay planted on the bike & move around until I can get back into position.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Thanks LDH. As for the stompgrip back in the early 50s & even later we were bonding on rubber like the old KNEE GRIPS of the pre-war days & sometimes after. The lack of knee grip & ESPECIALLY a slippery petrol tank is a terrible deficite if you tend to shift your body around on the different road bends let alone racing.

I actually cut mine out of inner-tubes & some held weld with glue. Used them mainly in road racing, but also in MXing, Enduros, to cross county events, but not in Observed Trials. Note most of our road racing bikes were modified street irons & the ideal bike to modify was the Triumph Tiger 100 with dual intake manifold. Oh yes they were bonded on my various Vincent HRD 1000 bikes to even the Grey Ghost 500 & definately on my Norton Manx 500 DOHC single to my 7R AJS 350 DOHC single.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts