Sportbike World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to buy another bike soon and i wanted to know what the forum has to say about these 2 bikes. Ive narrowed it down to these. I want the good and the bad. Thanks in advance.

jay

·
Registered
298 Posts
I assume you've read all the road tests, so you're familiar with the specs, the dyno and drag strip numbers, and the subjective evaluations.

I've recently ridden both an '00 RC51 and an '02 R1. Here's what I think of them:
  • I liked the R1's motor a little better than the RC51's because of its wider powerband. The difference wouldn't be enough to change my decision.
  • I liked the RC51's brakes better than the R1's. They're the best brakes I've ever used.
  • I didn't ride either one very hard through turns (to avoid crashing my buddies' bikes), but I think I would feel more comfortable at 8/10s+ on the RC51.
  • The RC51 was a torture rack. The R1 was a little better, but after a 10-mile freeway leg, I was ready to get back on my own bike. And, the R1 felt "buzzy" while the RC51 felt "rumbly". I.e., both vibrate, but at different frequencies.
Don't try to "objectify" your decision too closely. They're both terrific motorcycles, and there simply isn't enough difference in specs or measured performance between them to make one "better" than the other. Go with your gut.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Like everyone says they are both excellent bikes. Considerations:

R1:
. Good Overall Street Bike, not bad in comfort.
. Broad powerband kills some of the motor "personality", what gear was I in?
. Pretty good stock. Not lots of mods needed to get it sharp.
.R1s are fairly common

RC51:
. Not a good all around street bike. Excels in the mountains
. Best power on a V-Twin. If you have ridden a V-Twin you know that you are riding a motorcycle. Cool sounding, lots of motor personality.
. Can make a lot of improvements over stock to make a superb handling machine. Not cheap to do though but fun. Excellent support and knowlege base (especially RC51.org) Good Vespa support also!
.RC51s are not seen around alot.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm with Duckhunter on this one, I've got my I4 bike now I want to see what the twins all about! Plus the thing just looks and sounds awesome. SP2 is on the way! (well at least for me 2 weeks) :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts