Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Local dealer has an RC51 on the showroom floor calling my name. I know how hard they are to come buy so I'm thinking of jumping on it. How is it as an everyday commuter though?? Also, what's the max range you can ride it in a day??? I currently have a '99 F4 that I love, but I love the 51. Any thoughts? Oh, I have yet to tell the wife so this just may be wishful thinking :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,510 Posts
Drew said:
...Oh, I have yet to tell the wife so this just may be wishful thinking...
I don't know about the comfort of an RC51, but I can tell you about the other part.

DON'T TELL YOUR WIFE, JUST BUY IT, AND SURPRISE HER! Let her know that you did it for the both of you. Here's a little story:

I told my wife I was going to buy an NSR500V2. She asked, "are those nice?" I said, "yeah, they're alright. They're sort of small, being a 500 and all." Then without a blink, she lowered her brow, and calmly asked, "how much?" So of course, I started to try and save myself from this inevitable confrontation by stating, "It's used, so it's way cheaper than if I bought it new. And, they only have 2 left." No reaction from her, except another, "How much?" Not wanting to dig the hole any deeper, I mumbled under my breath so it was barely audible, "around $60K." She said, "Sixteen thousand for a used 500? That seems a little expensive." After she confirmed the sixteen thousand dollar price about 3 more times, I couldn't stand it any longer, and blurted out, "S-I-X-T-Y THOUSAND!" No need to go into further details...

Don't tell her, just get it now, pay later!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,093 Posts
748_abuser said:
Drew said:
...Oh, I have yet to tell the wife so this just may be wishful thinking...
I don't know about the comfort of an RC51, but I can tell you about the other part.

DON'T TELL YOUR WIFE, JUST BUY IT, AND SURPRISE HER! Let her know that you did it for the both of you.


Better yet....Valentines day is coming up, buy the RC51 and tell her it's her present and that you'd like to enjoy a sport that you're so passionate about with her. Act deeply hurt that she doesn't like it and get rid of the F4; problem solved.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
EH?

Had to add here. My question....what does anyones wife have to do with the purchas of a bike???? Buy the bike...or dont. If its your money do what you want with it. If she has anything to say about it simply put her in her place. Problem solved
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Oh...now thats not a good guess. Not married in any case. :D

Here the thing. After dealing with many many women and coming to the conclusion that 90% of them were just plain crazy I came to a startling realization that I have been using these past couple of years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,474 Posts
I okay all large purchases(aka over $150 ;)) with the wife. She controls the money and always has. She is good at it too. :cool:

As for the real question. The RC-51 is definitely not a daily commuter. It was meant for the track, meaning very tall first gear and pretty aggressive riding position. The seat is very hard. I have done about 350 miles in one day before and 90% of that was curvy mountain roads. I can handle the curves better than the straight stuff. I am not small so that plays some part in the comfort thing. I would say that I could do more miles than that but I normally don't. I never did much more than that in a day on my VFR if that helps you with the comfort comparison. I do love the bike and it is everything that I was looking for. I was not interested in touring. :)

Good luck with the wife. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excuse you?

Well, I hate to admit it but the wife brings home more bacon that I do. Also 11 or 12 large is nothing you can just go buy and hope the wife understands....atleast not on my limited income. Also, I would not trade in my wife for a new ride......Errrr....No I wouldn't. :D...
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Re: Excuse you?

Drew said:
Well, I hate to admit it but the wife brings home more bacon that I do.
At a boy!!! Good man!

Oh and don't worry about Omni, He's a tough guy... You know tough forearms,tough wrists,tough palms :D:D:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,429 Posts
RC John, don't read this...
Go to any big HSTA rallly and you'll see enough RC51's to make you realize how "hard to come by" they really are(not). Hopefully that will be enough to steer you away from this ugly, overweight, overpriced bike. If you want to try a twin, go with a VTR, TL, or Mille/Falco. The RC trades too much torque for top end (and still comes up way short of inline fours).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm....I'd never seen one in person til now. All the dealers said I'd have to put down a deposit etc. I wouldn't say it's ugly either...unique yes..ugly no. I think I'll likely save the cash, keep the F4, and see what's new in 2003/2004. I have definetly not out grown the F4 so maybe it's wise to wait.

Omnipresence said:
Had to add here. My question....what does anyones wife have to do with the purchas of a bike???? Buy the bike...or dont. If its your money do what you want with it. If she has anything to say about it simply put her in her place. Problem solved
Omnipresence said:
Oh...now thats not a good guess. Not married in any case. :D

Here the thing. After dealing with many many women and coming to the conclusion that 90% of them were just plain crazy I came to a startling realization that I
have been using these past couple of years.
Man, speaking of crazies :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,474 Posts
I agree with some of what Tristan says but I don't think the RC is ugly. It sure as hell is not uglier than the TL, VTR or Falco. Mille yes but not the others.

The RC has comparable weight and same horsepower as the TLR and has a much better power to weight ratio than the VTR. VTR and TLR are damn good bikes for the price though.

The Mille and Falco are as hard to come by in this area as the RC and they are quite a bit more expensive. RCs are not that hard to come by. You just have to shop around and find honest dealers. If you call around you can get the RCs for less than MSRP. If you put the $16K(price of Mille) into an RC it would eat the Mille alive on the track.

The only in-line for that is in its class that it won't beat is the '00 GSXR-750(and '01). It of course is a small list which includes the ZX-7R.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
what beats the honda....

lets look at racing for a second,

WSBK SP1(RC51) #1
AMA Formula extreme 929RR #1
AMA Supersport CBRF4 #1
Canadian Superbike RC51 #1
Canadian Supersport CBRF4 #1 (i think)

does anyone see a trend here?

ps - so i'm not way off topic i've heard that they aren't that comfortable on long straight drives.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,429 Posts
Re: what beats the honda....

MEHLMAN said:
lets look at racing for a second,

WSBK SP1(RC51) #1
AMA Formula extreme 929RR #1
AMA Supersport CBRF4 #1
Canadian Superbike RC51 #1
Canadian Supersport CBRF4 #1 (i think)

does anyone see a trend here?
It's the old "Win on Sunday, sell to impressionable sheep on Monday" philosophy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,474 Posts
Re: Re: what beats the honda....

Tristan said:
MEHLMAN said:
lets look at racing for a second,

WSBK SP1(RC51) #1
AMA Formula extreme 929RR #1
AMA Supersport CBRF4 #1
Canadian Superbike RC51 #1
Canadian Supersport CBRF4 #1 (i think)

does anyone see a trend here?
It's the old "Win on Sunday, sell to impressionable sheep on Monday" philosophy.
Whew, I'm glad I had mine before it won on Sunday so I can't be an impressionable sheep. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Ok listen....
I find it too funny...and I know you guys are trying to be funny...so its no big deal. But I find it too funny what you are implying.
Every guy that cant stand up and tell his wife\girlfriend the way it is a bit spineless isnt he? If you WANT to consult your wife on such things...well thats cool and more power to you. But if your scared of your wife and how she will react..and you dont do something because of that...in this case buy the bike. Then buddy you need to get yourself some balls.
Sorry but thats the way it is...
Women are meant to be loved and nutured. But the relationship has to be 50/50. She gets to go out and buy whatever she wants. And you take her out all the time spend money on her ...blah blah. Then damn right you should get to have what you want every now and then. Sure discuss it with her. Help her say yes. But in the end if she doesnt ...too bad. Buy the damn bike anyway. LAY DOWN THE LAW.
:D :D :D
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Top