Sportbike World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey just recently i've noticed a ratteling at about 5500 to 6000 rpm. no powerloss or anything and its not the key ring or anything. it seems to be louder when its not up to temp. any ideas?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Meat_Shield said:
hey just recently i've noticed a ratteling at about 5500 to 6000 rpm. no powerloss or anything and its not the key ring or anything. it seems to be louder when its not up to temp. any ideas?
you'll have to poke around and see if any nuts and bolts are loose somtimes things work loose on new bikes.:2cents:

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Try to isolate where its coming from.. could be anything...

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
It is most probably your CCT. It's a common problem with Hondas. Does it stop rattling at around 6k? Check the windscreen first though, mine used to buzz at around 5-6k rpms unless I grabbed it with my hand. If it is the CCT, I suggest replacing it with the APE manual instead of the Honda CCT (J23) because it will most probably start rattling again eventually.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I actually have the same problem with my F4. It starts at around ~5200 and ends at ~5700. I don't have any power loss or anything but I hate sitting there and hearing the sound. It's hard to describe, so I am not sure if it is the same thing you are getting. It's just a slight rattle or tinking sound, but pretty fast so it seems to be related to the engine.

If it is the CCT, is there any down side to it doing this? Like chain wear or anything?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Z_Fanatic said:
does this CCT problem end up happening to EVERY cbr600s?
During a certain year range.. virtually everyone..

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
You don't have to replace the CCT. There are detailed instructions on this board on how to "fix" the problem. Search on "tensioner", go back about a year to 18 months.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Mikespike2 said:
I actually have the same problem with my F4. It starts at around ~5200 and ends at ~5700. I don't have any power loss or anything but I hate sitting there and hearing the sound. It's hard to describe, so I am not sure if it is the same thing you are getting. It's just a slight rattle or tinking sound, but pretty fast so it seems to be related to the engine.

If it is the CCT, is there any down side to it doing this? Like chain wear or anything?
Yes, that's the CCT.

The APE manual CCT is only $50 and installation is quite easy. The APE is better then the Honda J23 part because it won't crap out like the J23.

The CCT does NOT rattle on every CBR, and it isn't related to what year your bike is.. but it is a common problem. Some go after only a few thousand miles, but others never have any problems with their CCT.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey thanx for the info, i had suspected the CCT. and yes it does stop at almost exactly 6k rpm. its been doing it for about a week maybe a week and a half, i need the bike for at least the next 5 days. can u see anything going wrong with it till then if i leave it as is? oh and one last question. the bike is only 5 months old, could this be covered under the warrenty? if so i can drop it off b4 work and get it done for free :)

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Meat_Shield said:
hey thanx for the info, i had suspected the CCT. and yes it does stop at almost exactly 6k rpm. its been doing it for about a week maybe a week and a half, i need the bike for at least the next 5 days. can u see anything going wrong with it till then if i leave it as is? oh and one last question. the bike is only 5 months old, could this be covered under the warrenty? if so i can drop it off b4 work and get it done for free :)
I haven't heard of any damage ever being caused by the CCT after it starts rattling, and I know some people who haven't bothered to replace theirs even though it's been rattling for a long time. Basically the sound is just really annoying, and it's a cheap fix. I'm not sure about the warrentee.. call up the Honda dealer but keep in mind they'll just put another Honda CCT in that might go bad in another couple thousand miles.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Unas_the_Slayer said:
I haven't heard of any damage ever being caused by the CCT after it starts rattling, and I know some people who haven't bothered to replace theirs even though it's been rattling for a long time. Basically the sound is just really annoying, and it's a cheap fix. I'm not sure about the warrentee.. call up the Honda dealer but keep in mind they'll just put another Honda CCT in that might go bad in another couple thousand miles.

i'll call em up tommorow and find out about the warentee, but its sunday so they might not be in so i'll probabaly find out for sure on monday. but ya i realize that they will just put another honda in it but if they'll do it for free then i'm just gonna let em do it cause i dont got the time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts