Sportbike World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The idea: To compile a USEFUL list of terms used by motorcyclists, both recreational and professional.

The point: I have just begun reading this particular forum. The writers of the thousands of posts and hundreds of threads no doubt know what they're talking about when they make a specific post/reply. A considerable amount of intelligence is needed however to make sense of a number of these posts quickly. Keep in mind, it doesn't take a genius to figure these terms out and I am not saying the authors of posts that use slang and various widely-used terms cannot write. Most of them can, 100%. What I am saying is that a compilation of terms that remains easily accessible to new riders/forum visitors would benefit their reading immensely. When a reader comprehends what he/she is reading, the maximum attainable value from the post is reached. This is just an idea and if it is fully rejected, I wouldn't find myself in tears. Thanks in advance to all who participate.

The method: Using copy-and-paste (to maintain a format somewhat similar to previous posts in this thread), a person replying to the previous post would copy the existing list and paste it into his/her reply, then simply add terms/slang of their own. This extra step would be necessary to maintain a full list of terms "per post", that way a new rider/forum member has only to read the very latest post to obtain the current list for themselves.

The format:

Fork - pistons connecting front wheel (on either side) to handle-bars, etc

This doesn't have to look like in any way like a dictionary, but it DOES need to be useful. Give it a try. And again, thanks in advance to those who participate.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Hmm, do a search we had one of those dictionaries a while back. Even with motorcycles as a subject it was about as fun to read as well, a dictionary. Plus it had a bunch of british terms there, that only smitty uses.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will do a search for something similar, however, I would expect the information inclosed to be as boring as reading a dictionary. Boring reading is also very ineffective as far as helping the reader obtain something useful.

That isn't what I asked the readers to create here. In fact, I would like to steer away from that as much as possible. Simply copy what exists, paste it to your reply, then add a word or two of your own.

Lastly, any expected excitement factor for this thread should come from the replies being unique and humorous. For example: I'd like someone to post exactly what a "fairing" is. I've narrowed it down with the little research I've done (busy schedule), but am still not sure of its definition. This could be included in the list.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts