Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into buying new ramps for loakding and unloading the bike on the truck. Anyone have suggestions of which ones they like.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
whatever truck you have, just make sure you have a long enough ramp so that the angle isnt too steep or else you will have a lot of trouble.....my pop's chevy 2500hd duramax is like way tall, and the ramp i have is too short for that tall of a truck, and we had to lift the back of my bike in as to not scrape the fairings and exhaust.

i dont know what brands they are, but i really like the ones that are wide enough to walk up on with the bike, i think you can get them in aluminum and i looked at rockys in flint for them and they were like $150, so not too bad.

·
Registered
963 Posts
DocThee said:
I'm looking into buying new ramps for loakding and unloading the bike on the truck. Anyone have suggestions of which ones they like.
I actually have a second one that you could purchase off of me if you want.. I bought a set for $200 last december when I bought my bike...

·
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph
6,322 Posts
I recently bought a nice ramp that folds in the middle and is wide enough to extend from one side of my trailer to the other so riding it up and down is easier :D $ 79 bought off the internet and got them 2 days later ... If interested can look up the papers for it to get the website addy...

E.

·
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph
6,322 Posts

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Ducati1 said:
That's a nice one, but your not buying that for $79
No I paid 3 times that, it was expensive. But heavier duty, and curved so you don't drag the bottom...I can also use the wings for ATV loading. Straight ramps are cheaper..and all you need for loading into a low trailer or loading an ATV.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I would definately not go cheap... is saving $100 worth the risk of dropping your $10K bike? Not really...

On the flip side... your bike weights less than 500# EASY! So even with you on it, for example and not recomending, say 700#. Take that into consideration. Although you need to pay attention to the work rating of the ramp vs the max rating.

http://www.motorcycleramps.com/

They seem to have the most selection.

I had one of these, bed extender ramps, prior to selling it. it worked really well and of coarse had a double use, that I liked sense my crew cab truck had a short bed and the tailgate remained down.

I also recomend a second ramp if you are going with a single track style. I always loaded my bikes with 2 ramps. 1 really good one for the bike and another one for me.

Then, Start the bike, get it warm, line it up... then simply put it in gear and idle the bike up the ramp while you follow it. You can do this by yourself. Why not let all that horsepower do the work for you. You're not going to go anywhere but to the front of the truck bed. I have done this dozens of times and even on trailers.

Do it at work with the backhoes, excavators, bobcats, ATVs, ect... you don't think we push a 10 ton piece of equipment up onto a trailer do you?

However, I must stress, that unless you have one of those big 4 foot wide ramps, don't try to ride it up! I know some that have and dropped the bike from about 2-3 foot off the ground! NOT GOOD!

·
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph
6,322 Posts
well for my lil ol cheap price .. mine handles 1200 lbs :twofinger

and it's light weight enough that even I can carry it :p

as for riden them up... that's why I got the wide ramp.. have two of the narrow ones that are long and curved to use on the back of tail gates for bikes and 4 wheelers... love them but wouldn't trust ridin one up even with the extra one next to it for footing... :eek:

E.

J

·
0 Posts
I can have my brother make you a bike carrier...
The kind that you slide into your hitch..

He made me one for my MX bike and it's trick..
He uses really thick stock and has the channels bent and then he welds them up.. They are not the unsturdy kind that you see for sale, key is to drill and tap one side of the hitch to run a bolt through, this stops the wobble...

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
DreamRyder said:
Remember that's distributed load. Your ramp is designed to hold larger loads under the wheels of the quad on the edge of the ramp rather than the middle. So no big running starts...even tho your angle of approach on a trailer is pretty low. ;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
DreamRyder said:

and it's light weight enough that even I can carry it :p

as for riden them up... that's why I got the wide ramp.. have two of the narrow ones that are long and curved to use on the back of tail gates for bikes and 4 wheelers... love them but wouldn't trust ridin one up even with the extra one next to it for footing... :eek:

E.
As I said... don't ride it up...

I idle the bike up the ramps...while I walk along side it... kinda like loading a horse... you walk it into the truck/trailer... just with the MC it don't help to smack it on its arse! :D

·
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph
6,322 Posts
Bluto said:
Remember that's distributed load. Your ramp is designed to hold larger loads under the wheels of the quad on the edge of the ramp rather than the middle. So no big running starts...even tho your angle of approach on a trailer is pretty low. ;)
DAMN Bluto how much do you think I weight :twofinger

besides I had a buddy weld me on extra runs of aluminum poles to close the gaps even more so... heeee.heeee... this way I ain't gotta worry about my feet gettin caught between the gaps... I'm sure that had to add some more strength to them ;)

Gas Man said:
As I said... don't ride it up...

I idle the bike up the ramps...while I walk along side it... kinda like loading a horse... you walk it into the truck/trailer... just with the MC it don't help to smack it on its arse! :D
I was agreein with ya darlin about the not riding them up the narrow ones.. hell I won't even walk mine up the narrow ramps... worries me too much reachin up and trien to keep the bike balanced while not given it too much throttle LOL.. that's why I usually had the fellas do it for me when I had just the single narrow ramp... :D

E.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Anthony, the ramp that Eunice posted up is too short and the angle will be to steep and the bottom of the bike will scrape.
...sorry E...for a low trailer it's fine, but not for the high truck tailgate.

The kind that Chuck has is really nice....nice and wide, long and curved. The bed of my truck is pretty high (03 dodge ram 1500 quadcab) and Chuck was able to easily ride the busa up when we had to go back to Ohio and get it. The only problem is that his ramp is too long to close the tailgate, but it had to be down anyway because of the bike.

·
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph
6,322 Posts
GixxerChris said:
Anthony, the ramp that Eunice posted up is too short and the angle will be to steep and the bottom of the bike will scrape.
...sorry E...for a low trailer it's fine, but not for the high truck tailgate.

The kind that Chuck has is really nice....nice and wide, long and curved. The bed of my truck is pretty high (03 dodge ram 1500 quadcab) and Chuck was able to easily ride the busa up when we had to go back to Ohio and get it. The only problem is that his ramp is too long to close the tailgate, but it had to be down anyway because of the bike.
geesh what is it with the selective reading of what I type???? LOL... I told him the same thing.. that the same company had longer ramps and ones with arches that mine would be too short for a high truck :twofinger

E.

·
Registered
90 Posts
As I said before, I have a new set (2) of aluminum folding ramps, long enough and arched in the middle to avoid hitting, used approx 3 times to load bikes onto a Dodge Ram, and they work great.
There are 2, I used to start the bike up , stand next to it and put into gear, and walk it up the ramps, the bike on one, you walking up the other.
Then just fold up slide onto bed, and done.
I live in Mad Hts, give me a call or come see them, make a reasonable offer.
Tried others , looked around , and liked these.
586-202-9907

·
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph
6,322 Posts
It's all in what you're comfortable with ;) as for smart or not... seems like everyone here has suggested safe methods :dunno: how is that not smart?

E.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I personally ride my bike up and ride the bike down on the ramps...it's wide enough to put your feet down and walk it up. The only time you can't touch is when you first start the front wheel up the ramp...before the rear gets to it. Personally I think it's safer to ride the thing up...but I guess that's just me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts