·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard much contraversy on raising the
fork tubes in the triple clamps. I think I
am going to raise the front about 2 mm to
quicken the steering. I have heard that you
may loose a little high speed stability.

Does anyone out there have any expirience with
raising the forks? What did you find. I have
heard arguments both ways.

Thanks in advance!
Yours Truly,
Squid_y2k_r1

------------------
Anyone got a rear tire I can borrow?

·
Registered
16 Posts
the more you raise the forks, the smaller your trail becomes, and then you come to a point where steering ceases to have positive stability becoming neutral and then to the point that steering has negative stabiliy (completely unstable - has a natural tendency to to turn fully in either direction from centered). You better invest in a good steering damper if you're gonna change the front end geometry.

------------------

·
Registered
16 Posts
also bear in mind your front end squats under weight transfer, so though the bike may be ridable at cruise it can get hairy entering the turns if you screw up the trail too much.

------------------

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I don't think that 2mm will have all that much impact on the high speed stability but the idea of a good steering damper is good. Don't want to take any chances. ;)

Especially with those rear wheels exploding. :p :D

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
you may wanna try shimming the rear instead.

though not sure the effect on traction with a bike like r1.

scott, john, team mong.? wanna offer up some more details you guys have more brains than i do. even though john says i'm a momma's boy.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
LMAO Tony... momma's boy. :D

------------------
John

·
Registered
5,474 Posts

I'll have to defer to Mongrel and the others. I only have scetchy knowledge of suspension setup and none of it is Yamaha specific. ;)

------------------
John

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I figured I would need a stabilizer.
The bike was really bad when I first bought
it but since I have played with it a little it
is rock solid so if it goes back to way it was
before with these changes I can deal with that.

Thanks!

------------------

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RCjohn:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

and he posts it twice!!!!

at least i don't live in tn, where i could be momma's man!!!!! YIKES!!!! :)

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

·
Registered
503 Posts
w/everything suspension.. start small.. 2mm should be good. i raised my gsxr about .5in & i know another guy that raised them almost a full inch.. race track only though. lately ive been getting very awkward front end feed back.. dont know if this is the cause but i swear its tucking &/or sliding when its not supposed to be. on the track i get some mean fish tail action goin on in the rear too. the other guy is on the same bike & out weighs me by about 30+ lbs & has none of these probs.. but i also have a slight tweak in my lower triple clamp.

bust out your suspension notebook & make a base run through some twisties & highspeed straits. write it down. raise the forks a smidgen.. run the same course.. write in your own words the diff.. raise em some more.. run & record.. repeat until u go past your comfort zone & go back to the one u like the best.

------------------

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks speed (Damn that reminds me of some childhood cartoon)!

------------------

·
Registered
525 Posts
I raised my forks 4mm, part of the reason was to quicken steering, the other is because my race tires are taller than my street tires. It only seemed reasonable to do, but I'm no expert....just clever.

Trevor

------------------

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I was gonna buy me one of them R1's, but didn't like their super-slow steering. Let me know if raising the tubes helps that truckish steering.

------------------
'98 Superhawk

·
Registered
328 Posts
Chris,

You can play with the fork height if you want to, but I don't think it's really even necessary with a bike like an R1.

The main reason to adjust fork height is to compensate for a taller tire. This is standard procedure on a race bike. You can raise the forks as much as 10-15mm, depending on the tire in question. For instance, on my R6 with Michelins, I went 10mm, but with Dunlops I use the stock height.

A 2mm change? You'd have to be Nori Haga to notice any difference. Try it at 5mm and see what you think. It should make the bike steer slightly quicker, but it may be slightly less stable as well. If it seems okay to you, try another 5mm. I wouldn't really recommend going any further unless you're running a really tall front tire, like a Michelin.

Also, you can run into clearance problems between the tire and engine/radiator if you go too far.

An alternate way to change the angle is to buy a rear shock with adjustable ride height, such as Ohlins, but... $$$!

------------------
A fool and his money are soon partying.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well here's what's up:

I raised the forks 4 1/2 mm in the triple
tree and I also put a 180 an the rear.
Wow~! HUGE diff. Initial turn-in is much
faster. S-turns are definitley easier to
negotiate, even slapping back and fourth to
warm the tire has gotten much much eaiser.
AMAZING. I can't wait to hit Shamokin now!
I have noticed that under hard exceleration
out of corners and over bumps the front wants
to get a little more slappy then before.
Steering dampner in the works. I also looked
at the rear setup - I think I could change the
ride height myself with some very minor mods.
I have a access to a hige mill and laithe and
a CNC machine is on the way so I think that I
can come up with something. We'll see, who knows -
Maybe I'll make a couple of them for all you R1
owners out there!! Thanks for all the info!

Chris :p :cool: :p

------------------

1 - 15 of 15 Posts