Sportbike World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody here have any experience raising the fork tubes in the triple clamps? How big of a job is it?

I switched from a 65 series front to a 70 and my bike is just every so slightly more hesitant to turn in now becuase of the slight change in geometry. From what I've been reading raising my fork tubes 6-8 mm's in the triples will bring my bike back to near stock geometry.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Its real easy. you need an allen set, a caliper, and maybe some WD-40. Do one tube at a time.
Loosen the pinch bolt on the clip on, upper tree, and the two on the lower tree. Grab ahold of the outer fork tube and start turning it back and forth, the bikes weight will slowly push the trees down on the tube. Measure with a caliper untill you are at the right height. Then tighten everything and do the other fork. The thing to remember is that the fork tubes will spin one around the other.
If you overshoot, and have to lower the tubes, either use a front stand that lifts the bike by the steering head, or use some ratche straps and wrap one around the front of the frame near the steering pivot. Do not lift by the bars, since this will lock them around the outer tube.

·
Registered
452 Posts
vashipedia:laughing:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Vash, I have a triple tree stand and I was going to use that to do this. So is it easier to do it with the bike off the stand so the weight of the bike can push the tubes up like you mentioned?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Its pretty easy either way. Without the stand forks slide one way real easy, but abit more of a pain to get them to go the other (but still doable, even without help). With a stand it shouldnt be any problems at all. Just dont forget to loosen everything, and apply some oil, and the tube should slide with no more effort than taking off an oil filter by hand. Sometimes you have to take off the screw that locates the clip ons to the upper tree.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just took my first ride after the adjustment and I really noticed a difference in the ease of turn in. The bike definately turns in much easier than it did before the adjustment. The wierd thing is that I dont remember feeling like the steering was that much slower when I first made the change to the 70 series front.

The real test comes on May 12th to see if it improves my lap times at all at the track.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts