Sportbike World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike was getting super hot in highway traffic. After I checked the fluid I realized the fan wasn't running. I ran a search and the only one i found was by duckhunter a year ago. Is this about how you test it for all bikes?

Lord Duckhunter said:
Testing the fan is super simple. You run a jumper/lead from the positive side of the battery (or any 12v source) to the poower terminal on the fan & then ground the other lead that goes to the radiator switch to any part on the frame.

If the fan spins when you manually supply power, but doesn't on it's own then I would start checking the wiring between the fuse box & the fan for a pinch/break

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JBaz said:
yeah my fan doesn't work. I remedy the problem by just speeding and not stopping... :D
That works until i get owned by city traffic. Going 2 miles in 20 mins is bad for the bike.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I replaced 2 switches on 2 different bikes over the years. Almost certainly your problem. Price is around 90 - 110 if I remember right....

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Tippy, yes, that's a great way of narrowing where the problem is. If its in the wiring, there's an electrical switch that would be logically tested next.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My fan only turns on when the temperature reaches 220F, and I dont think it ever goes that high when i am riding - only when standing....

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
So igorek82 yours is working like it should. They are NOT to come on earlier nor is there a manual switch you can use to turn the fan on. Like yours mine does not come on when on the hwy, but in town & crawling I can hear the fan going on around the same temp---well 112 to 113C to be exact.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Smitty said:
So igorek82 yours is working like it should. They are NOT to come on earlier nor is there a manual switch you can use to turn the fan on. Like yours mine does not come on when on the hwy, but in town & crawling I can hear the fan going on around the same temp---well 112 to 113C to be exact.
Maybe I'll let it idle at home to see how high it gets. It was up around 100C, maybe a bit over, when i turned it off and assumed it wasn't coming on.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Tippmann check with your MOM & it will show the max for the coolant gauge. I know mine reads 270F---132C & personally I have noted at 112 or 113C the fan will come on either of the Honda 929 & 954 bikes. So your MOM will be the answer.

Though believe me at 112--113C the engine is hot due to in city crowded riding terrain.

I set up the Honda 929 myself & first fright was when I noticed ALL the slow cage drivers for I was only doing 60mph only at a red light did I realize I was reading MPH when I should be on the metric so I was scooting around 100mph.

Then a bit later, at another red light I looked down I saw the bike's temp was 200 so panic again as I thought it was Celcius when it was F reading.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts