Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which production bike was the first one to have a radial 4 valve head?
Hint: It was long before Honda's RFVC

Aris

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is it too hard?

OK just let me know if anybody wants the answer.
Aris

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 851 was one of the early 4 valve Ducatis but the valves were positioned in parallel and not radially.
The bike I 'm looking for is much older also...
Aris

Here's the 851 head:

Attachments

·
Founder
4,761 Posts
ariszr7 said:
Which production bike was the first one to have a radial 4 valve head?
Hint: It was long before Honda's RFVC

Aris
Aris,

Yes, like yourself I have no life outside of motorcycles. ;)

It was the BSA MC1

So what do I win?

Here is a pic.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Re: radial 4 valve head?

Robert said:

Aris,

Yes, like yourself I have no life outside of motorcycles. ;)

Nice try Robert ;)

I'm sorry that your life is like mine :D
My problem is that I'm in Germany and my bikes are in Greece :(

Anyway, you don't win anything because it's not the correct answer.
I made a little investigation on the BSA (great bike!).

'The MC1 was one of BSA's best kept secrets. It was a double-overhead cam 4-valve racer built in the Small Heath Experimental Department. Like some later singles, it took advantage of its multi-valve configuration to use two carbs and two exhaust pipes. Only one machine, this one, was made because factory management refused to let it race unless a win could be guaranteed. Again note the engine is mounted low and forward, like two other racers mentioned above.'

So it wasn't a production bike (1 made) and it didn't have radial valve arrangement.
Do you want the correct answer? I can give it to you, or you want to keep on trying ? :p

Aris

·
Founder
4,761 Posts
Re: Re: Re: radial 4 valve head?

ariszr7 said:
So it wasn't a production bike (1 made) and it didn't have radial valve arrangement.
Do you want the correct answer? I can give it to you, or you want to keep on trying ? :p

Aris
DOH! I'm getting ready to go to bed. But I'd like to think about it some more and submit a new answer tomorrow. :)

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah! Sleep over it :D

I just came to work a couple of hours ago...
I 'm not working tomorrow, so no internet. I'll review your answers on Monday :)

Hint: you are getting closer with the BSA MC1, both for the time and the country! (this should be helpful)

BTW. check the url for listening to the Honda RC149 (and many other crazy Hondas) on the 5 cyl thread, it's worth it!

sleep tight :p

Aris

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
ZR7 team!

Hi Andy,
You 're Andy Bajka aren't you?
Of course you re absolutely right! I thought noone would get this but it seems you ride the right bike for my questions! :D
So tell me what do you want to win?? :)

In fact the picture of the bike is not right. The picture (from http://www.rudge.ndirect.co.uk right?) shows the 500cc Ulster which had the full radial head only in 1932 and then got the 'semi radial' which means only the inlet valves were radially positioned while the exhaust were parallel. The 250 appeared in 1931 and continued with the full radial layout until 1936 with the 'Sports' model .

Check this: http://www.stratford-rudge.co.uk/engine.htm to see the drawings of the engine, it's really good!

Here is a picture of the 250 bike with the full radial head:

Just tell me, did you know the Rudge history, or did you get it with a google search?

Aris

Attachments

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hi Aris,

Yes I'm Andy Bajka. I guess we do think alike.

Yes I used Google. I have never heard of Rudge Whitworth before. It was very interesting to read up on them.

I thought the picture of the Ulster was incorrect but I couldn't find the correct picture.

I thought the prize for winning was the Rudge Whitworth motorcycle.

Thanks for trivia...

Andy

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Now THAT puts the "train" back in valve train.;) Very interesting. I love old machinery, bikes or otherwise.:)

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
trivia feedback

Hi guys,

Andy you win a ride on my ZR7! If you want to ride a classic it can be arranged if you plan to come to Greece for a holiday!
I have a 1957 BMW R26 waiting for you :D

Dad, I'm glad you liked the trivia question. Why don't you try creating/answering one yourself?
It seems I'm more into old bikes than others on the forum, but the next question is not for such old bikes, so that anybody can answer ;)

Andy, this one can't be found with google I'm afraid :cool:
You'll have to try harder for this one :)

Aris

1 - 15 of 15 Posts