Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
I use a Passport 8500 but not on the bike (yet). Attachement seems pretty simple since it comes with an easy electrical splicer. Suction cups to windshield, ear bud speaker.

·
Registered
282 Posts
the big question is does it work?

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Karmastuntra said:
the big question is does it work?
On the car, yes, very well. To properly use any detector successfully you have to understand that you depend on bounced radar/laser signatures. Thus, if you're out by yourself speeding along your detector is highly unlikely to be helpful.

·
Registered
126 Posts
detectors do work against radar, but laser (since it travels at the speed of light) is hard to react to.

Althought radar is easy to defend against, cops are getting smarter and waiting till you are 20 ft away from them to turn on their radar, therefore, you have no time to react (just like laser)

Fortunately, some cops are lazy and keep it on, thus saving you a few bucks

http://www.radardetector.net/

^^^they'll set you up with what you need, its a great forum

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use one in my truck and, to be totally honest, I think it's one of the best investments I've ever made. Now, I'm no fan of speeding, but on some roads there's just no way that it's supposed to be 45, and don't get me started on highways.
So, for whenever I'm in a rush, a bit of insurance never hurts. And, it's really fun listening to it go off and try to guess how many more seconds will pass before I see Mr.Blue&White sitting on the side of the road.

Make sure to check your state laws. They were illegal in CT until about 6 years ago, and the "scramblers" are still illegal. But the detectors are all you'll need.

·
Registered
369 Posts
WSU Tony said:
I know up here in mini they are illegal to have.... I cant amagine trying to hide one while on a bike!
Actually, the precedent has already been set in Federal case law that you are entitled to receive any broadcast signal that may be present at your home, on your person or in your vehicle. Of course, the challenge would be an expensive proposition, but it would be winnable if you wanted to push it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Mister Tee said:
Actually, the precedent has already been set in Federal case law that you are entitled to receive any broadcast signal that may be present at your home, on your person or in your vehicle. Of course, the challenge would be an expensive proposition, but it would be winnable if you wanted to push it.
Maybe it's legal to receive them, but is it legal to use said transmissions to aid in the commission of a crime?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Whoaru99 said:
Maybe it's legal to receive them, but is it legal to use said transmissions to aid in the commission of a crime?
Short answer - yes.

We're talking about different issues here. It's legal to receive said transmissions. It's illegal to commit a crime. This argument is the basic cause-and-effect fallacy that you learn in first year law school. There are numerous legal (and illegal) activities that one could do that would aid in the commission of a crime, but unless there is specific legislation that prohibits an activity in the aid of a crime, the two are not connected.

An example of such a law would be the use of a firearm during the commission of a crime - many States have laws that address this, and it is a standalone and separate charge count. Another example is some localities have laws allowing for the confiscation of vehicles, if a car is used for the purpose of soliciting prostitution. Again, a separate law, and a separate charge.

I honestly don't think a law that defines the use of radar detection as an aid to speeding would stand up in the appellate courts (and I'm not aware of any such laws at the present.) It would fail on a few tests - for example, radar detection is a passive activity, unlike the use of a car or a firearm. Secondly, it doesn't constitute a threat to others. Thirdly, appellate courts have already found radar detection to be within the doctrine of reasonability.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Radar Detecors are usually not illegal because they do not manipulate/interfere with radio waves. Once you start changing those "waves", then the FCC is allowed to press charges

go to the website that i posted earlier in this thread and they will tell you everything

·
Registered
369 Posts
Broadcast radar jamming transmissions are illegal by Federal regulations, and additionally by most States as well. That's a different issue though, since your standard radar detectors are not jammers. The FCC has jurisdiction over enforcement over radio broadcast issues, although local law enforcement may also cite where State regulations are also violated.

Note this only applies to radar since radar is a radio device. Unless your State has anti-Lidar jamming legislation, you're free to jam Lidar if you can. Although, I'm not sure how you would do that.

·
Registered
369 Posts
jaimela said:
I know for a fact that all forms of radar detectors were illegal in Canada. I was living in Toronto when I got my first bike so naturally I looked into getting a radar detector... no dice.
Good point - I should clarify that my previous posts are applicable to the U.S. only.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I've got the Beltronics X65 in my car...love having it. Someone mentioned laser isn't helpful if they turn it on the last second..may be true, but for when the cops leave the gun on, it picks it up from a FAR distance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts