Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This racing motorcycle is made by one of the most famous motorcycle manufacturers in the world. However very little information is available on the internet. What is it?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I love this stuff. I really don't have a clue, but here are some observations.

It appears to be a water cooled v8 with shaft drive. Since the engine is mounted longitudinally, it's not the famed Moto Guzzi v8 gp racer, but it does appear to have a mount for a dustbin fairing. You stated that it wasn't built in the 50's, but it has drum brakes, leading link front suspension, twin rear shock suspension, so unless it's a retro replica, it has to be 60's or earlier. Dustbin fairings were outlawed in gp in the late 50's, so I'm at a loss.

The water cooling has me guessing, so I'll guess it's Italian in origin. Even close on date and origin?

This is a good one!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi vfroger,

Very good observations. I said it was not from the late 50's. Your correct, it is from the early 50's. Yes it is Italian. Yes it does use a dust bin.

Andy

·
Registered
231 Posts
oH oH meee!

Ok, if it's not kawasaki's latest update to the ZX-7R, then surely it's an offering from Beneilli (sp?)???

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hmm... The top is very flat, as if the rider is supposed to lie lengthwise across the bike. It looks as if it is purpose built for land speed racing. Am I even close?

·
Registered
47 Posts
More guessing with a little research info thrown in:

Piero Remo worked for Gilera in the early 50's and designed a four cylinder dohc engine for racing. One of his protégés was Arturo Magni who left for MV Agusta and managed their race program for many years. I have seen MV's from this time period but have been unable to come up with a pic of a Gilera. Is this one those? The longitudinal mounting made me think it was a v8 but I as study the photo, I think it's only a four??? Are we getting close?

I've ow found a pic of the Gilera. It's air cooled and transversely mounted. Still, I think I'm on the right path.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ariszr7 said:
Hmmm, this is a hard one :confused:

Aris
Hi Aris, glad I found one difficult enough for you. :)

Here is another picture of the same bike. It is the same year and make.

BTW it is a four cylinder engine.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is another glimps of this very hard to find and un-documented racebike from one of the most famous motorcycle makers of all time.

·
Registered
377 Posts
This is a hard one.

It does look a bit like a "half " V8 Guzzi. The V8 was green and Guzzie are known for their shafties. And Guzzi were building in line 4cyls back in the 1930's.

I'll keep googling

:)

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
I think it is the Guzzi 500 inline 4, that was raced during the 1953 season, before the 500 V8.
As you mentioned Andy, there is no info about it on the net.

Aris

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 18 of 18 Posts