Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Triumph Sprint RS for riding schools and track days. My BMW Cordura/Gore-Tex riding suit won't cut it for track use, so I'm looking for a set of racing leathers. Problems is, I'm 45 years old and, um, expanding in the waist. I have a 34-inch waist and 30-inch inseam.

All the off-the-rack leathers I've seen are made for Kevin Schwantz clones. I could have fit into them 20 years and 30 pounds ago, but now I have a choice of getting the right waist size with the legs four inches too long, or getting the knee pads on my knees and the zipper refusing to budge.

So, where can I get a set of leathers that fit real people without paying for custom tailoring? I need the track armor, and would prefer a one-piece suit.

------------------
"For every action there is an equal and moronic overreaction."
Peter Egan

·
Registered
167 Posts
You're probably not going to find off-the-rack suits to fit you, but getting a custom made one isn't necessarily as much more expensive as you might think. Check out Z Custom Leathers. They have a web site, but I forget the URL. They have a good reputation.

Also, a Cordura suit with armor is acceptable for many race schools. Are you saying yours is not OK because the schools won't allow it or because you're not comfortable wearing it on the track?

------------------

[This message has been edited by motociclista (edited August 14, 2000).]

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
zcustom, vanson, et al make custom suits, but get out the check book. they are worth the price, but...

check out newenough.com as well. if you don't mind used (or in some cases last year's model) you can save big. my dainese leathers were only 465+shipping. they are great people. if you tell them what you're looking for, they'll give you the best advice they can.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by motociclista:
Also, a Cordura suit with armor is acceptable for many race schools. Are you saying yours is not OK because the schools won't allow it or because you're not comfortable wearing it on the track?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The BMW suit passes muster for the riding schools, but the Sprint RS is yellow, and the BMW suit is purple/red/silver and looks rather silly sitting on top of the Triumph. That's a good thing in traffic (gets the attention of people in their cages) but hey, I gotta look cool on the track.

I've checked out Vanson, Z Custom and New Enough. I'll probably end up getting a two-piece perforated Vanson suit unless Z Custom can come close to the Vanson prices. I really want a yellow and black suit for the track days, just because.

I really, really need to lose the weight anyway. This could be the motivation I need.

------------------
"For every action there is an equal and moronic overreaction."
Peter Egan

·
Registered
110 Posts
I ordered the perforated pants (PTSV) custom sized from Vanson. The only complaints that I have about them is the price, and they were three weeks late on their promised delivery date.

------------------
Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that sportbike riding will cause swelling of the testicles, shrinkage of the brain, and possible severe trauma to the ego.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I went with a Z Leather suit. I really like it and it's VERY comfortable. I didn't mind the price cause if I ever go down I want the suit to fit ME, not the average rider. :D

------------------
Dan F4 Red/Black

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Your dimensions seem pretty regular to me, how many "off the rack" suits have you tried?
BTW, I'm 6'0", 185, 36X32 pants and my AGV size 46 suit fits perfect. Make sure you get into "riding position" when trying suits on before judging fit.

------------------
'98 Superhawk

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Getting into the suit to try it was the problem. Taking the advice given above I ordered a one-piece suit from New Enough. Closeout price: $385!

Now let's hope it fits.

------------------
"I was born yesterday, but I was up late last night."
Gary P. Nunn

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
No 1 piece leather suit is going to slip on like a pair of sweatpants, or like your Aerostitch for that matter. I have to sit on the floor to get my suit on, and at first it feels like a full-body cast. After a little riding/sweating it transforms into a "second skin" that is actually more comfortable than my cordura 2-piece (except when walking). Good luck with the mail-order suit fitting.

------------------
'98 Superhawk

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update:

The Fieldsheer leathers arrived about one hour ago and fit fine. I just got back from a 30-mile test ride. Yes, Tristan, they're a bit difficult to get on, and my son had to help me get them off, but they'll break in and get better (I hope).

Thanks to all who suggested New Enough. They're great people to work with. I saved enough on the leathers to get myself a nice Vanson cordura two-piece suit for street riding. Got a great pair of Prexport boots to go with the leathers too.

------------------
"I was born yesterday, but I was up late last night."
Gary P. Nunn

1 - 11 of 11 Posts