Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was riding today at about 55mph on a 4 lane road, and a gixxer 600 pulled up next to me, don't know the year they all look kinda the same I know it wasn't a 04, but looked pretty new, he got in front of me and gassed it so did I in 5th gear didn't shift down and we stayed close and I was pulleing on him at around 100mph, but I had to let off seeings how I got cords showing from my rear tire.

How can this be I thought gixxers were faster than cbr's?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Roll on race

From a 5th gear roll-on, peak horsepower isn't going to come into play as much. Gearing, aerodynamics, and general condition of the bike will have an influence.

In a straight up drag race (like at a quarter mile strip), given equal riders, the GSXR will probably have you covered. But even then, given that there is only about a 10 horsepower difference between the bikes, it would still be fairly close.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
All of the bikes from the big four in Jpn are very competitive to each other. Also you could have come across a bike even a bit older then you 600 only kept as clean as a whistle.

If that was in town then I could see the reason of slowing down or that the max on the road might not be 100mph. If he had a ticket or two that might have slowed down his pace.

I would not brag about out dragging, beating another bike or staying with them----still your choice, but I leave that to squids.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Tire

Oh, another thing.

Dude, cords showing through that rear tire?! WTF?

Get a new tire TODAY.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not cords but pretty close. I bought it that way am going tommorow to get my new tire put on.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you know what is funny?

When someone calls someone a squid cause they get on there bike a bit, I think it is foolish to have a sport bike if you are just going to cruise really slow and casual, that is a what cruisers and harleys are for. you know what that is called a poser, so either you are a squid for going fast, or a poser if you go slow. I like to get up to speed and them cruise, but my GOD I better not do that or I am a squid, WTF?

I have never know of anyone that has ever owned a sport bike that doesn't get on that thing. so everyone that rides these things around these parts are squids, every guy I come up on the road or at a stop sign gets on his bike had to try to beat me it seems, cruisers or not, so I guess in my town every rider old man or young buck is a squid!!

get over the squid term man. Ride the way you ride and we will ride the way we ride. you dont see us calling you a pussy cause you ride slow. Oh I forgot you are a poser.

·
Registered
699 Posts
gs500f said:
you know what is funny?

When someone calls someone a squid cause they get on there bike a bit, I think it is foolish to have a sport bike if you are just going to cruise really slow and casual, that is a what cruisers and harleys are for. you know what that is called a poser, so either you are a squid for going fast, or a poser if you go slow. I like to get up to speed and them cruise, but my GOD I better not do that or I am a squid, WTF?

I have never know of anyone that has ever owned a sport bike that doesn't get on that thing. so everyone that rides these things around these parts are squids, every guy I come up on the road or at a stop sign gets on his bike had to try to beat me it seems, cruisers or not, so I guess in my town every rider old man or young buck is a squid!!

get over the squid term man. Ride the way you ride and we will ride the way we ride. you dont see us calling you a pussy cause you ride slow. Oh I forgot you are a poser.
I don't think this is called for... I think you owe someone here an apology. People here aren't here to knock you, only here to help you in what might be in your best interests.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Squid vs fast rider

There's a big difference between being a squid and being a sportbiker who rides fast.

First of all, just because someone "gets on it a bit" doesn't make them a squid. We all "get on it" at least once in a while. Hell, I know I do. That's what sportbikes are for. Mostly, it's a matter of being smart with your speed. If you want to preserve life, limb, and license it is important to choose WHERE you speed. If you're gonna bust past 120+, do it on a wide open, no traffic road out in the boonies. A squid will do it in town. If you're going to tear up a canyon road, do it someplace that you've already familiarized yourself with. And be sure to slow down when you come across the occasional farmhouse or school bus-stop. A squid will just blindly and recklessly go through the corners without concern for his safety or the safety of others. Furthermore, he won't do it very well because a squid is more concerned with appearances and ego than in actually improving his riding technique.

See the difference?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
YZFr6-TX said:
I don't think this is called for... I think you owe someone here an apology. People here aren't here to knock you, only here to help you in what might be in your best interests.
The downside is, when insurence goes up. :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
i mean really dude,

its cool to run it out, but braggin about racin in a straight line when you've been riding how long, and doin this on a bald tires nonetheless...im betting 90% of the people that read this forum all thought "SQUID" after reading your post

im guessing your 20ish yrs old(who knows), Smitty's been riding for 50+ yrs prolly (he can correct me on this if he feels like it, but after being called a poser and a pussy, when he was a RACER before we were born, is pretty weak, especially when he has skidmarks older than us)

just think about that before you feel like rippin on Smitty

Yes the purpose of a sportbike is to go fast, speed kills though, especially when you don't know what your doin.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
GS500f: Just a short while before you got into riding, meaning in late 40s, I was modifying street irons for road racing (also for dirt comp) as bikes aimed specificially for said forms of comp were not on the market especially in North America.

Still from the road racers with flat bars, changed footrest positions with linkage for gearchanging moved back farther & such. I noted the lean forward position suited my hwy riding style rather then an upright riding position.

So continued to make them & even doing the same with some of the Jpn bikes. These were also being knowen as Cafe Racers & yes a maze of components were being churned out in the UK that I bought from.

Still the m/c makers started to come out with these "Sports Class" bikes to later be called sportbikes & there were the very bikes we often tried to build though our 500 to 650 or 750cc modified irons were not up to what was being made in Jpn., when in fact we realized these were the next thing to their road racers of the prior yr only street legal with lights & all.

Said riding position still suited me & that is why I have had a number of bikes in cafe racer form to present & past sportbikes.

Said bikes certainly can trot faster due to the power in them, these amazing disc brakes in comparison to the drum brakes I churned out with massive air scoups, the amazing suspension & such to where I can cruise at speeds well above the max or what the cafe racers did. On other major thing is the compound of the tyres & how they are built. What we looked upon as the best would send any rider of a normal 500 & up bike on their ear due to lack in traction & reasons the feeler for the limit at the bends on the race circuits were simply the side of the boot sole.

Going fast is one thing & must admit I seem to get a lot of speeding tickets so like some other riders I tend to slow it down a bit on some parts of the hwys.

In reality there is no way the normal m/cist at home with sport bikes can scoot along at even close to the speeds of these bikes now.

No I will NOT lower myself to a cruiser because at some times I will be going around their same pace, for when it comes to some twisties I am in under control (slow) & out fast which is something that a cruiser will not do BESIDES with my back injuries I simply would not be able to ride a cruiser without agony & the same goes to my cage.

One does not buy a sportbike with the intent of screaming down the hwy at speeds that will simply floor others. One also buys a sportbike due to its superior stopping power, handeling, & riding position when on the hwy.
-------------------------
One minor question being why do you use the handle of GS500f when in fact you have a 600cc? After all it is a bit confusing.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
YZFr6-TX said:
I think what he said was completely reasonable. He's on a 4 lane road so plenty of space and no mention of traffic they had to dodge. He only got up to 100 which take a 1/4 mile or maybe a little more from a roll on so he could likely see much farther than his braking distance (ie he could stop or slow well before an accident if something appeared on the road).

I mean come on people, throwing out "squid" just for rolling it up to 100??

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
apexismaximus said:
Would it change anything if the cords were showing as claimed in the original post?;)

I've seen enough of his posts and I hope he IS lucky 'cause there's a bunch of things he ain't. ;)

Dude, you're heading for a world of hurt. I hate to see that happen to ANYBODY, especially another rider. You've ignored a BUNCH of good advice. Take it down a few notches for a while ESPECIALLY when your equipment isn't in good working order. If you're that convinced that you're the one in a billion that's just natural, then take it to a track. You'll either find out you ARE:thumb: and deserve kudos, or you're NOT but can benefit from the instruction, or you're riding all balls and can crash there where they'll make sure you have on good gear and if that's not enough, there's an ambulance in the waiting. I've seen the whole scenario many many times and it NEVER has a nice ending.:(

One thing you'll NEVER be able to say is, "I wish someone would have told me".

Good luck to you, sincerely!:thumb:

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
apexismaximus said:
I think what he said was completely reasonable. He's on a 4 lane road so plenty of space and no mention of traffic they had to dodge. He only got up to 100 which take a 1/4 mile or maybe a little more from a roll on so he could likely see much farther than his braking distance (ie he could stop or slow well before an accident if something appeared on the road).

+1

Seems to be human nature that when I'm doing something it's ok because I'm in control, but when you're doing the same thing you're just a reckless squid. I've seen this attitude applied on here many times.

That being said though, I also agree with Dad. The original poster needs to know when the right times for this behavior is. Sounds like location wise he was ok, but if the bike isn't 100% it's never a good idea. These are things you learn over time though. Experience is that thing that you don't get until right after you needed it. So now gs500f has a little more and will hopefully learn from this. I don't think any of us can really say whether he rides like a squid or not without being there with him. :2cents:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I never called him a pussy, I just hate the squid term, it always gets used when someone talkes about getting on there bike.

If you read my post we were on a 4 lane road with nonone around, I was going around 55 to 60, and I got on it up to 100 or so, that took 3 seconds then I got off it, that is a squid? my GOD if it is I am one than for sure. My tire has life yet on it , but I am over cautious and felt why take the chance, my post was why was my bike pulling on that gixxer, I was suprised and wanted some opinions not to be referenced to as a squid.

It is a dead issue to me, if I am a squid than everyone I know that rides is one cause I take it way easier than them.

If I offended you smitty I apologize, but I was a bit offended myself if you couldn't tell.

my user name is what it is cause it can;t be changed, I have had that name for a whille, and don't really care to take the time to change it.

If that offends you I will change it for you.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
There can be several reasons your bike pulled with him. First, something that has been said many times, the performance difference is so small in all of these bikes that there isn't the day and night difference that the magazine hype will lead you to believe. They talk all WOW when the ET's are within 1 or 2 tenths. The slightest bobble, bad launch, or slightly mis-timed shift will make that difference. Their own numbers bear that out when you look at their exact performance statistics. In many posts on the subject you'll often hear the advice to "get whatever fits you best or you like the looks of the best", because the performance is so close you'll probably never find the difference.

The next thing is, you said it was a basic roll on. Who knows, he may have been in sixth, may not have opened it up, etc etc. For max performance, fifth gear was probably three gears too high on yours with the most of your power being up there. You wouldn't have even been in the real power band yet in fifth at 55MPH. Chances are, between those two bikes, the one who hits everything right will win in a race, even a roll-on drag race. Launching from a dead stop and hitting a tree right in a true drag race puts a lot more burden on the rider's skill. On the twisties, it will absolutely be the best rider and not the bike. If you get two very equal riders, they'll have fun with each other. At the outer reaches of the performance limits, the really good riders will identify differences in bikes, and they can also be preferences, not out and out performance. One rider may be comfortable with a looser suspension, another with a tire that's a little less aggressive on turn in, etc etc. Good skills on a bike that's to your liking will inspire confidence which will convert to good lap times.

Don't worry about the bike's ability to go, work on your ability to use what it's got. That means, first and foremost, selecting the right environment, then working on technique NOT SPEED. When technique's right, the speed takes care of itself. Always at a speed that's totally relaxed because riding tight is the FIRST MAJOR ERROR that makes everything else go to shit. If your learning curve is good AND you've studied the various books on the subject, expect that learning curve to be spread out over a good 10,000 miles of experience, practicing technique. Don't count just total miles because much of that can be interstate droning which isn't much of a skill builder.

Maybe you're getting a little religion as you go but arguing against these points from a whole bunch of people who've been there is the source of folks calling you a squid, for those who did, along with some of your posts. First ride, redlining several gears in a neighborhood, racing a bike up to a hundred with cords showing, dirt riders don't need to listen to the start smaller advice, and so on. Hey they're YOUR words and in case you don't know it, that's squid behavior if I ever saw it. You'll one day be advising the same if you don't hurt yourself first. It's for your own good that folks advise you as they do and when you basically slam them for that, don't go gettin' all defensive when they use their experience based set of facts to call BS. My main reason to answer this at all is for the other new riders who read this stuff and may be misled if your posts were left standing, unopposed. I long ago figured you weren't listening. If you are and any of it sinks in, GREAT! I sincerely only wish you the best as I'm sure the other responders do, too. That's why they take the time to answer and that's why the answers are what they are. For your own good, please heed the advice that's been given. You've already got a bike that's a little on the strong side for learning but taking it back a few notches will help when you run into one of those situations that you don't yet have the skills to expertly handle. They come up out of nowhere, especially when you haven't yet learned enough to see them coming.

Oh... and get a tire on that thing.;) Good luck.:thumb:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Wonderful post, Dad! A big thank you to you, Smitty & all the other experienced riders who share with new ones like myself. Yup, 3000 miles later, I still think of myself as "new". And if I ever start getting cocky, I know I can count on you to give me a needed little slap!:thumb: :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks DAD for the advice you have giving, I take it, and appreciate it. My bad ! got my new tire today, fell much better

thanks all for the input.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
gs500f said:
Thanks DAD for the advice you have giving, I take it, and appreciate it. My bad ! got my new tire today, fell much better

thanks all for the input.
You're certainly welcome.:) Take it easy, study, and in time you can become quite good at this. It's really fun, too.:thumb: Every day you don't ball it up, that's another day you can go out and work on getting better.:thumb:

There seems to be a pretty active group from Michigan that posts here all of the time. Redline, in case you hadn't noticed. Seem like a pretty good bunch and many with quite a bit of experience. You might see about hooking up with some of them. Probably a good time as well as a lot of good help. Again, good luck!:thumb: :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts