Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Folks, just to keep you current:

(Baby = '92 Suzuki GS500 race/track bike)

Daddy brought Baby home last week. Daddy & Baby are doing fine.

Baby is now stripped down and pretty much all wired up. She does need new shoes for the track and two highchairs; one for her back end and one for her front end. The "tasks of the moment" are to get a damper (steering) on her head, and a diaper (bellypan) on her bottom. Later, I may do some surgery to help her breathing a little.

Of course Daddy needed to get a new suit to wear when showing Baby off, as Daddy had nothing really suitable should Baby get cranky and toss Daddy on his a$$. (Kobe from Fastlap)

Daddy is signed up for the Ed Bargy class at Roebling Road (Savannah) on 3/22/2002 (next Friday). YESSS! WERA racing to follow successful completion of that activity.

The wooden planks with the the aluminum ends (one for me and one for the bike) will DO the job, but it is a circus. They are nice and straight till you load 'em. Then they sag like wet spagetti. Just as entertaining are their independent wagging. I have a much better appreciation for Hannibal's accomplishment in getting hs elephants down from the Alps now.

Daddy has already succumbed to trying Baby out on the relatively "quiet" freeway near the house... just a little. First time was without any mirrors. Duh! That was tres DUMB. Absolutely AMAZING how useful mirrors are when wearing a full face helmet. I could only change lanes with total fatalism... "Well if today is the day I am supposed to die..."

Daddy is currently sort of shocked :eek: at how many money sucking things lie just over the horizon.... so he's gonna take a little nap now. :)

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
BTW, Handy Industries has some of the best prices for front and rear stands. Good quality too. The steering head front stand comes with 5 spindles which will allow you to use it for the ZX-6R and the GS500(assuming they use different sizes). :cool:

·
Registered
309 Posts
How about putting the upgrading of baby's... um, er.... legs? (suspension) near the top of the list. I imaginge she's gonna "walk" quite a bit differently from your other "child". I would think you would notice this first when she's on the track.

I'm no expert. Don't have any track babies yet... Still using "protection" for the moment.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tip on Handy Ind. John I'll Check it out.

Legs... I forgot to mention, Tigertex. New progressive springs in the front and old stock shock in the back. Complete tune-up, brake flush with ss front line (brakes feel real nice).

The "feel" compared to the ZX-6R is really not too bad. The 6R obviously "feels" wonderful, but it is hard to tell how much of the difference in the GS500 is just the ten years and the 10,000 miles it came already loaded with.

To me, it feels like I know where it is going and what it is doing, but I really haven't pushed it hard either. The rear tire is, honest to God, squared off in the middle. I've heard people talk about that but sort of thought it was an exaggeration. Unh-unh.

The short term plan, past where I am now, is to see what the track has to say. Do minor stuff and ride as much as possible. Long term is to keep the mods to this bike minimal and let Daddy see just how much of a high speed - low drag wannabe he is. If his ability matches his imagined jock size ;) I think he'll trade up for a faster model rather than doing any major surgery on this one. :D

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:)

If you could do it reaching back, over the front seat, and say "Shut your damn mouth or I'll pop you again," it would just make me homesick as hell.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Tristan said:
If I see you at the track baby-talking to your bike I'll be forced to bitch slap you.
LMAO!! :D

There will be no bitch slapping... maybe a little tickling but no slapping. :p

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Tristan said:
There's a fine line between baby talk and pillow talk...
I like to think of it not so much as a fine line but more like a really fat gray line. :D

·
Registered
134 Posts
Joss said:
The rear tire is, honest to God, squared off in the middle. I've heard people talk about that but sort of thought it was an exaggeration. Unh-unh.
Err…, you are putting new tires on, aren’t you? ;)

Might want to do something to increase the grip on those loading planks. Think first thing in the morning you’re not really awake, dew or rain on smooth wood, :eek:! Don’t know what the best solution is. Anybody?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SVBob "...you are putting new tires on, aren’t you?"

ABSOLUTELY, 1000%, AFIRMATIVE!!! I'm working on that now, but may have to put it off till I get to the track. I understand there are almost always tire vendors set up at these things, ready to take your money and make you a winner! :D I can't even get ON the track with these.

Good point about slick planks. I've been thinking about roughing them up. I've got several left over sanding belts from an old belt-sander that's seen better days. Maybe I can make strips out of several belts and glue them to the planks.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You’re doing Bargy at Roebling March 22? See Tardholio’s 3/14 9am post:
http://www.wera.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/006502.html

In general when you are new to track riding do as little maintenance / prep at the track as possible. Even if you have some extra time it’s better to relax than concentrate on getting mechanics right.

The sanding belts sound good so long as they don’t fall apart when wet.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the tip Bob. Sounds like good advise. If I get the steering damper on tonight, the tires are my last problem to solve. Except for the belly pan I'm picking up at the track, but that's not required for Bargy and WERA doesn't crank up till Saturday.

Tardholio's comment raises the pucker factor a lot there. I really thought Bargy would launch into "classroom" first, leaving my friend time to get the new tires finished. Ruh-Row! :eek:

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Joss said:
Thanks for the tip Bob. Sounds like good advise. If I get the steering damper on tonight, the tires are my last problem to solve. Except for the belly pan I'm picking up at the track, but that's not required for Bargy and WERA doesn't crank up till Saturday.

Tardholio's comment raises the pucker factor a lot there. I really thought Bargy would launch into "classroom" first, leaving my friend time to get the new tires finished. Ruh-Row! :eek:
The first thing you will do is get registered then get the bike teched. There will be no time to get tires mounted. Right after everyone gets through tech he will talk with you as a group then it is on the bike for a track "walk down".

The tire guys will also be busy putting tires on for the licensed guys that are practicing.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I won't be there in the morning, but will in the afternoon so I remind you of this. Bring plenty of fluids. Between the sweating from nerves and effort you will become thirsty. Also bring small snacks.
Make a list of things you need to bring this week and go through the list to load up. Helmet, gloves, boots, bike, tools. Everything. That last place you want to be is at the track and remember you left the helmet at home!
I agree, try to get tires next week. How new are the leathers? You want to try to start breaking them in before you actually get to the track. I have been wearing my new set while I am at home playing on the computer.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lacking even the rudimentary tools of the new age, I guess it will be "...or what?!"

For an "or what" picture proceed to the web address below, then imagine the bike ten years older and with red trim instead of black. Uh, also imagine AWAY the mirrors, headlight, signals and substitute clubman bars for the one there. Yep. That's just what my bike looks like. :D

http://www.suzukicycles.com/sr_02/sportstreet/bp_gs500.htm

I just got off the phone wth Mr Bargy, himself, and he told me to chill out. (WHEW!) :rolleyes: There will be time for my pit crew to see to the tires (even if it's one at a time during breaks) before we get to the serious track work.

And Jon, there are a few people in the world just as anal as you. ;) We can compare "Lists" Friday evening. :D

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
For the record Joss, I am not anal. When I need to, I pay attetion to detail! There is a difference. :D
Actually, I am a borderline A-B personality, I just don't want to forget taking anything to the track. The rest of the time "I just don't give a fukkkkkkk!" You'll find out soon enough. ;)

Oh, and you need to get off your duff and get a digital picture of your scooter. If you want, my brother can take some shots of you on the track this weekend for a nominal fee! :) Actually, he does take pictures at the track and has take most of the action shots on our site and should have his own back up shortly.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts