Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know why race gas leaves that white powder on your can? Is it just the gas they've got at my track or is all racing gas? This wasn't the super crazy $25 a gallon race gas, just your run of the mill $4 a gallon stuff.

Is it because it's oxygenated and it burns cleaner? What's the deal?

------------------

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm not a fuel expert but I do know it is because of the lead. In the "Muscle Car" days that's how we tuned 'em. Black on the pipes, too rich, white on the pipes, just right!

------------------
Marty

·
Registered
62 Posts
Higher octane gas will do nothing to help the performance of your bike unless it is rebuilt to utilize it. The only thing race gas will help on is the fact that it has no pollution crap in it, thus it will make it run better, but not faster. If you are running pump gas, 87 octane will give you a stronger punch than 92. Higher octane gas will burn slower making less horse UNLESS your bike is built to handle and utilize it.

- Jeff -

------------------

Kahuna's Home Page
ICQ # - 14578052

[This message has been edited by Kahuna (edited August 27, 2000).]

·
Registered
23 Posts
What do you mean by built to use it?? and does it make a difference if you change back and forth. 94-87-94 octane.

------------------

[This message has been edited by snyder (edited August 27, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by snyder (edited August 28, 2000).]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, no offense taken, I guess I came across too harsh. Should have used a smilie. :)

So that's the answer - it's leaded gas, so it leaves a white powder on my can?

------------------

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
what 47 is referring to is 110+ octane (which will increase power, but to me not enough to justify the costs).

the white should be from the mixture being a lean. i don't know why it does it though.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I'm talking about the 110 octane stuff they sell you at the track. I was at a track day and that's all they had.

From what I understand, race fuels are a more refined product than pump gas. Pump gas is a chemical soup of a bunch of different petroleum distillates. In the process of further refining race fuels, they specifically chose a mixture that has low volatility so that it won't detonate in high compression race engines. The problem is that low volatility also means slow vaporization, which can mean slow burn and hurt performance.

All this I know. I just want to find out why my pipe had white powdery shit at the tip. :confused:

------------------

·
Registered
987 Posts
Unless compression ratio & ign timing are modified to take advantage of the different qualities of race gas, you're not likely to see much of an improvement.

------------------

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, yes, yes, I know all of that! Race gas helps high compression race engines avoid detonation. It's useless on a street bike and can actually hurt performance. I know this.

Here is my question (again): What is that white crap on my exhaust tip???

------------------

·
Registered
62 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by snyder:
What do you mean by built to use it?? and does it make a difference if you change back and forth. 94-87-94 octane.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The motor, any motor... car or motorcycle, has to have high enough compression to make a difference of the added octane. Try running 87 octane in it, take off like you're racing and listen to the motor. If it dosent spark knock, then you do not have to put any higher octane in it... you're just wasting your money. The only reason why it (race gas) might seem like it has more power is because it doesn't have the anti-pollution crap and all the other additives that street gas has. But the benefit of the loss of the anti-pollutants in race gas doesn't out weigh the fact that it burns slower, thus robbing you of HP. It isn't going to hurt anything except your wallet running higher octane.

------------------

Kahuna's Home Page
ICQ # - 14578052

[This message has been edited by Kahuna (edited August 29, 2000).]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts