Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heh girls

Anybody else up for ordering after market body work.
I mean shaggin the original stuff costs a fortune and i'm sure you all want to keep the bike in top nick.
Ordering together would bring down the freight costs.....

Well the cheapest to date is an american company sellin complete set inc rear seat for US$ 600. ( all bikes)
I'm checkin some European suppliers as well

If any of you know better deals or have some good leads let me know.

After legend took such good care of the R1 i'd like to keep it that way. ( Apart from the tail piece which has rack damage!!!!!!!!)

Cheers

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
if you race, get into the lp privateer program and score the new hot bodies plastic at their super sale price.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I'm keen ....

Keen as a keen thing ....

Tech 21 has some bits in stock for 01 and 02 Yamahas, not sure of the price but US$600 is about $1,000 singers ... you it'll be cheaper to import our own ??

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
FZR400Tony said:
if you race, get into the lp privateer program and score the new hot bodies plastic at their super sale price.
I agree with the LP/Hot bodies sale.

But if you're not a racer, I've had ok luck with Multi-tech. They take a little effort to get the finish just right, but you can get a complete race kit (without fender) for less than $600.

TK3 sells full kits for about $450 without fender, also, but rumor has it, the factory burned down. I have yet to verify this.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hold your horses big man!!..

Hey Phil,..

Before you drop your pants,..I have contacted Air-Tech in Califonia that have the complete race kit for '99 and '00 R1s. They will need a week to have them made. Headlight openings have to be cut out. Good time to install a REAL HID headlamp kit, as I can procure a set of 2 headlights at a reasonable price,..in the region of S$300 or so,.and then we can split the cost in half as you will need only 1,.b'coz it's so freakin' bright. Great for the nerve wrecking Malaysian ride up to Sepang. Small and compact conversion, only remove the OE bulbs and replace it with these.

The Race fairing are selling them at US$495 per kit. However, that excludes frieght.

The US$600 quoted, does it include freight?

Let's talk.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Have you used a set of Air-techs before?

Just FYI, because most racers I know, including myself will not use Air-tech bodywork.

Granted, Air-tech has an extrememly nice finish to it, due to the gelcoat they use as the surface layer. But gelcoat is brittle by nature and will shatter and spider-web upon impact. Also, Air-tech bodywork is VERY thin. When you go to order Dzus fasteners, they will ask you if you need regular length or Air-tech (short) fasteners. Just something to consider.

I only know one racer (one of my teammates) who is using Air-tech bodywork for his Ducati, and has crashed on the one set many times, but he has exceptional mechanical and fiberglass talent to put it back together.

If this is for street use, make sure the glass-makers can reinforce the high-risk/impact zones with kevlar.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Air-tech stuff

Well,..granted,.my only experience with Air-Tech is from a race solo seat I purchased from Yoshimura when I was riding the GSXR750L.

Finishing is as confirmed by you,.excellent. The primary approach by Air-Tech is that the products made by them are catered to racing,.which their selling point is to lighten the bike as much as possible.

Weight is a major obstacle in RACING. They are doing the best possible engineering feat in helping the racer lose weight. The weight-saving benefits displaces several other factors,.f which we are to consider if we usethe bike for daily transport.

The glass fibres are designed to crack, break on impact only to be repaired and re-used for the next race day. The GP/Superbike versions will disintegrate/contort on impact.

Well,..maybe after some crashes,..the glass fibre panels after each repair becomes stronger, thicker, and more durable as it gets binned. Just food for thought.

Just called them and got a quote for US$402 per kit if we buy 3 kits. Kit includes everyting except rear fenders only. Thickness is confirmed at 80 thou,.and all stress points are re-inforced and thickened. Sounsd like a good deal to me. Shipping is going to cost quite a bit, unless bigphil can make some arrangements. One Box per Size is going to be 40" X 22" X 23".

Anyone interested in this joint buying? we can split the cost of shipping...call me anytime. 96898903.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
How about these guys Armour Bodies? I've heard lots of good things about their products. A bit more expensive, but cheaper than Sharkskinz.

I was going to go with them for my 03 racebike, but they don't do anything for the Greens.

http://www.armourbodies.ca/

·
Registered
560 Posts
Re: Air-tech stuff

m0j0 said:
Anyone interested in this joint buying? we can split the cost of shipping...call me anytime. 96898903.
Do they have a web-page that we could look at first. Would be interested, but need a look.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Re: Re: Air-tech stuff

Silva Bullet said:

Do they have a web-page that we could look at first. Would be interested, but need a look.:rolleyes:
Hi Silva,..try "www.airtech-streamlining.com". The price I got was from my telephone conversation with them and is not posted in their webpage.

Guess you must be looking for a kit meant for the R6.

Good Luck.

ps..I will be going to CA in 2 weeks. Will meet with these guys if time permits. They are 50 miles north of San Diego.

·
Registered
55 Posts
rear fairing

Hi all,

I have a new set of carbon fiber front fender and rear hugger for 00 and 01 R1. Selling for S$300 for both.

And a rear seat fairing(black). Selling for S$300 as well.

Interested buyer please drop me a mail.

:)

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all for posting

MOJO: count me in for the CA stuff.
Just an idea but some airlines allow you extra freight if you can prove it's for an official sporting event ( Normally surf boards etc) We brought back tyres from Sentul once in 97 and got through customs with this explanation! So you might carry at least one set for yourself!!!!!!! Of course you being a top bloke you'd bring mine as well eh?? Just take your racing licience with ya.

Unsprayed is fine as i'm a dab hand with a spray gun. No fancy stuff but just good paint finish. SO there,s more money saved.
Not bad at repairs either.
I've got all my fibre glass gear at the workshop.
Not that worried about the weight difference from brand to brand as i can always eat less roti prata and quite drinkin beer for a week or two and save more weight than an aerospace tech ever could.

Let me know how you get on

Cheers

·
Registered
146 Posts
Re: rear fairing

Seven said:
Hi all,

I have a new set of carbon fiber front fender and rear hugger for 00 and 01 R1. Selling for S$300 for both.

And a rear seat fairing(black). Selling for S$300 as well.

Interested buyer please drop me a mail.

:)
Mr. Fude,..

Can you call me at 96898903?..Need to findout what you have.

Thanks,

·
Registered
146 Posts
Good info and comparison ...

Gixxer_Dave said:
Make sure you check out: http://www.racersden.com/ from Queensland.

I have a full set (front guard, upper, lower and tail) and it's really good stuff.....

and being a little closer, freight shouldn't be as crazy as the U.S.
Thanks GD,

The link has provided me/us an option. Works out to almost the same cost from AirTech.

Except that shipping from California will be exorbitant. I reckon from what I understood last, shipping will be US$200/ per box.

Maybe racersden option is more logical and cost effective.

What say you Big Boy Phil?...call me to discuss what r our plans...

·
Registered
560 Posts
Gixxer_Dave said:
Make sure you check out: http://www.racersden.com/ from Queensland.

I have a full set (front guard, upper, lower and tail) and it's really good stuff.....

and being a little closer, freight shouldn't be as crazy as the U.S.
Would have been nice IF THEY MADE BODYWORK FOR R6'S !!!
:mad:

Looks nice though, and as you say freight must be lower than $200...
Do you have any suggestions for r6's please, please??:crying: :crying:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Oi ... Silva ...

why bother with a race fairing bro .... your original already looks like shite ... hahahaha:finger: :finger: :finger: :finger:

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Silva Bullet said:

Would have been nice IF THEY MADE BODYWORK FOR R6'S !!!
:mad:
Sorry SB, I'll have to dig a little deeper.... you should email them just to make sure. Maybe their web site is outta date??

So Ledge, where is this 4th place MSS report of yours then???? You still to busy polishing your prize??? Hahahaha...... :cool:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Re: Oi ... Silva ...

Legend said:
why bother with a race fairing bro .... your original already looks like shite ... hahahaha:finger: :finger: :finger: :finger:
Well mate, I'm trying to do something about that, right? Not that I'm complaining about things like "the ugly white area that would look SOOO much better if it was black or red on me 2003 R1, but I put some Chinese sign on it meaning 'Challenge'..."
:twofinger :twofinger

Me on the other hand only have some nice au'naturel scrape marks after I binned it.
Hmm, the bike would like nice in red or maybe blue or black though... Thinking about it, I'll put on some Chinese sign meaning "Legend is a poof" or something.:twofinger

1 - 20 of 22 Posts