Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still new to the sportbike world, havent even gotten a bike yet. Figured that getting a new bike would be the same as far as plastic prices go anyway.

From what I have researched the CBR seems the way to go, but theres a 99 R6 still at my dealer that was just shoved over to make room for the 2000s.

Its a beautiful bike, WAY better looking than the other 600s with maybe the exception of the GSX-R. It just came out of the shop with some mods such as frame sliders ( A thing I would be doing right away anyway) and some aluminum cosmetic add ons. Hes asking 9000 CDN so which would be 6000 US I know I can get him to knock off another 500 if I purchase some other stuff. He dont know I need a helment and jacket anyhow.

But from what I have also heard is that the R6 is not exactly the starter bike for someone who plans to do a lot of sport touring. I have sat on almost all 600s and feel comfortable on all. Yes I am a little more stretched out on the CBR so... Any opinions.

Also one other thing, Y2Kr1girl :) :) :), marry me??

------------------
Real Rebels Ride Rice Burners
-so take that, you cellular totin', cruiser riding wannabe!

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
have you considered the sv650s? you're canadian, you can get them, do it.

i've met guys who tour on r1's and they're way uncomfortable compared to the r6.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok now how does a R1 compare to the R6..is it the R1 has a tighter body position?

Also havent really seen any SV650s around here yet, I will ask around. But I still think this R6 is too beautiful of a bike to pass up. Until I see another bike that really catches my eye, which could happen considering my attention span. Cant really ever make up my mind until the cash is actually ploppped down on whatever is holding my mind at the time.

------------------

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And if I am correct, isnt a SV650 a v-twin? Arent twins notorious for being heavy, as I plan to do a lot of my riding solo so I am aiming for the lightest bike possible.

------------------

·
Registered
503 Posts
i say get that r6 b4 someone else does.. & since your new.. spend some money on a few schools.. msf.. a track school.. & some good saftey equipment (DONT scimp here.. scimp on the bike if u have too).

------------------

G

·
Claimed dry weights on the SV650 and R6 are 363 lbs. and 370 lbs., respectively.

------------------
Pete
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey I have a 2000 R6 If you have NEVER EVER dealt with a clutch before be sure to take your time with this bike. It is different but I love it I AM 5'2 AND 115LBS and I loved the way this bike felt out of all the 600s. If you like something don't let people talk you out of it. Just take your time. :D Any other questions feel free to email me

------------------
My Speed World

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well 1fastchick, previous experience has been gained on my kx250 but I know the two are completely different but at least the clutch is down pat, just have to watch not to get back into the bad habit of speed shifting.

Now just another hurdle to get over, my cars. Mom and dad have played their trump card of " too many toys, get rid of one"! No prob, I already had one of them in the auto trader for next week.

------------------

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
The R6 is an excellent bike. Not what I would consider a starter bike either, in most hands. Don't let that scare you away from it.

Do yourself a favor and check out the SV650 first. It is one of the fastest bikes you will find in the tight twisties and one of the most comfortable and easy to drive sportbikes on the market. The most blast for the buck out there. I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, that the Canadian version comes with the same half fairing as the European models. Beautiful bike with the half fairing.

The R6 is a great bike but will take longer to learn to go fast on(compared to the SV) and isn't very comfortable. If you get some training and are good at controlling your "go fast urges" then you can learn on an R6. ;)

SVs are easier to pick out in a crowd since everybody and their brother/sister has an R6 or R1. :rolleyes:

------------------
Ride Hard!

John

·
Registered
71 Posts
KX is a dirtbike??? I think I have been racing dirtbikes since I was 12 :) BUt about being comfortable the only thing that bothered me was my clutch hand the first day but other than that I love riding the bike. Goind fast isn't a problem either if you can handle a KX you will have no problems on this bike. Then again I am still in the breakin period. Still peeling stickers off of it :p If you like it and its a new 99 I would take it seriously you could always sell the thing. I mean around here the 99's w/3000+ miles are stilll going for 7500. Almost for what a new one is going.

------------------
My Speed World

·
Registered
37 Posts
Leslie - I think if I was in your shoes, I would buy the R6. Sure, I'm a little biased, but that's not the reason. Although I agree that the SV650 is a great streetbike, it is very light and maneuverable, I think the R6 will teach you more than the SV will. The R6 is a bike that rewards good riding technique, and if you do something you shouldn't, it will let you know without throwing you off. Not only that, but the suspension is fully adjustable, there are tons of aftermarket parts available, and most of all IT'S FASTER!!! ;)

Even though it is not considered a "beginner" bike (whatever that is), I think the bike is very easy to ride, and it's not going to just take off on you unless you ask it to. Hope this helps.

1fastchick - SE Michigan seems to be well represented on this post. Nice looking photos on your website by the way :)

------------------

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
FYI for those that haven't seen the new Motorcyclist. They have some neat graphics now that shows the measurements of the bikes from pegs to seat and set to handlebars(clip-ons). They have all of the top 600s,the RC 51 and I think the R1 represented. :cool:

BTW, the R6 is not faster than the SV in all places and in all hands(just most places). ;)

------------------
Ride Hard!

John

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
i don't know that a faster bike can teach you more that's very debatable. education is the only real way to learn.

anyway, sv info is here: http://svrider.com/

either bike you buy, you'll have pick a good one.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I didn't mean that the R6 will teach you more because it's faster. I think it will teach you more and it's faster. The stiffer and more responsive chassis of the R6 has tought me quite a bit about proper riding technique - throttle control, braking, body position, steering, etc. I used to do all sorts of things incorrectly on my F2 and it never complained. While this is an advantage at the very beginning, when a rider gets more advanced and starts going faster, those bad habits you used to be able to get away with on a forgiving bike can get you into trouble. But, you are correct cbrf2boy, either bike is great for riding on the street or at the track. But given the choice, I'd take the R6 ;)

------------------

[This message has been edited by R6Racer (edited July 05, 2000).]

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by R6Racer:
I didn't mean that the R6 will teach you more because it's faster. I think it will teach you more and it's faster. The stiffer and more responsive chassis of the R6 has tought me quite a bit about proper riding technique - throttle control, braking, body position, steering, etc. I used to do all sorts of things incorrectly on my F2 and it never complained. While this is an advantage at the very beginning, when a rider gets more advanced and starts going faster, those bad habits you used to be able to get away with on a forgiving bike can get you into trouble. But, you are correct cbrf2boy, either bike is great for riding on the street or at the track. But given the choice, I'd take the R6 ;)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to agree, a bike like the f2 can cover up a lot of riding mistakes, that i'm sure the r6 can bring out. f2's are great for covering up mistakes of the rider.

------------------
Tony

·
Registered
331 Posts
Get the R6 - It rocks! But you can forget about that "touring" part, unless you have an iron butt. The Honda is alot more user friendly but pales in comparison to the look of the R6. Just my .02

------------------
Ride Fast - Take Chances

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Iron butt?? Hmmm....I dont know just a nice one for the girls to look at while riding!

Well I was considering the F4 before I saw this particular blue R6. The R6 has looks that just drops jaws here as like RCJohn said , everyone and their sisters has one but in my case its the CBR here, 'specially the yellows and reds orange isnt too bad.

Anyway still taking in opinions as I have one of my muscle cars for sale and am taking my bike classes the week of July 17th.

------------------

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Leslie - I had an R6 last year, THE THING
ROCKED! I have no idea why Yamaha said it
was an experts bike, it is totally compliant
and it rocks!!! Get one dude, you WILL NOT
be dissapointed I would still have it; had it
not been stolen bro. Plus it does look
so much meaner than say an F4.. Nothin
personal Honda guys..

------------------
If the front wheel's in the air, Your front tire you will spare.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 99' r6 I bought it last nov. I have over 7000 miles on it. A couple of weeks ago i rode it down to Deals Gap via Blue Rige parkway. The furthest south that i went was Suches Georgia (TWO). then back to detroit in one week, 2600 miles, camping the whole way. I have toured with it. Last night i took it to the drag strip for the first time, out of three runs I did 11.4/122mph. all that i have done to the bike is put tires on it and change the oil. still happy with the R6

------------------

1 - 20 of 26 Posts