Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Ok 6R is a little faster and the R6 handles a little better. Anything else?

I'm leaning towards the 6R because all things being equal, ORANGE ROCKS

·
Registered
46 Posts
WHAT!?!?!? Why would you get a kawasucky ov a yamaha? I know a few people with 03 6r's and they say they wish they would have gotten the r6 instead. And hey, what bike came in first AND second in 2003 AMA supersport? Exactly, the r6, and exactly where were the kawi's? And you could always paint it orange, and if you did that you would be the only one with an orange r6, plus the r6 is lighter!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hoping for something more in-depth than "Why would you get a kawasucky ov a yamaha?"

I'm intersted in the pro/cons of each.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Buy whatever makes you happy. Opinions are like *ssholes everyone has one. Let your friends chime in as soon as they kick in for the purchase price.

It's been said many times before. There are no bad motorcycles anymore.

:thumb:

P.S. Harley's are of course excluded from the statement above

·
Registered
169 Posts
the 6R is 636cc while the R6 is 600cc (or 599cc, whateva)

i would guess the 6R would beat the pants off the 600cc since it can hang w/ GSXR-750's

im not sure how "LIGHT" the R6 is, but i know the 636 weighs 355lbs or so dry...(i remember comparing stats of the bikes last summer when i got my 6RR (600CC), i was pretty sure the kawi's were the LIGHTEST...although i dont see how much the weight effects the bike, if you have a bike that is 5lbs lighter than the next guy, but you weigh 40 more lbs that the guy on the heavier bike, i would guess the weight of the bike is cancelled out!:2cents: )

either way you go, im guessing you will be happy since really you have to ride both of those bikes on a track to really appreciate their power (i had mine up to an indicated 160mph)

unless you are new to riding, in which case you should get something tamer...like a sv650 or ninja 500

i got the kawi last year and loved it, i wanted to get a R6 but there were practically NONE in FL, and once i saw the 6RR in green in person, i fell in love

·
Registered
471 Posts
well for starters, i hope this is quandry over bikes dosn't imply that it's your *first* bike. in which case you should get neither. (see all other posts on best first bike)

assuming that it's not going to be your first bike, I'd say go for the R6. as for the Kawisaki (not that i've ever riden one), friends who have them and numerous reviews of them say that the suspension is really really stiff and can be lead to kind nervous handling. unless your going to be at the track, don't even bother worring about stuff like top speed, 1/4 mile, etc. you'll NEVER even come close to utalizing all the potential any 600cc sport bike has on the street. sit on them and see what fits you well, see how comfy/uncomfy the seat is, what you think of the looks, etc...you obviously want to get a bike that you have some kinda emotional reaction to, so best bet is to go with that (again, this is all under the assumption that 600cc bike is *not* your first bike).
personally, i just don't think you can beat the overall looks, comfort, and handling of the Yamaha bikes...but i'm biased.
the R6 has the dopest dashboard, too. :)

-chr|s

·
Registered
25 Posts
Having owned both a zx6 and currently own an R6...

The R6 by far, IMO is a better bike. Just couldn't get rid of my Kawai fast enough.

Kawi is a nice bike, but for me, it was "short-rider" unfriendly. The R6 was just easier to handle for me.

Anyway, first bike/ neither. Get a GS500 or a Kawi 500R . Both 600cc are a little torquie for a first time/first time bike owner.

I started on a ysr 50 worked my way up to my current bike. I owned a 250 ninja for a year prior to getting a Kawai ZX6. Then 6 months later, I got my R6.

I have to agree on the "aesthetic" appeal of the Yammy's. Which is why I own two Yami's ( YSR and the R6 )

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chris Sedition said:
well for starters, i hope this is quandry over bikes dosn't imply that it's your *first* bike. in which case you should get neither. (see all other posts on best first bike)

assuming that it's not going to be your first bike, I'd say go for the R6. as for the Kawisaki (not that i've ever riden one), friends who have them and numerous reviews of them say that the suspension is really really stiff and can be lead to kind nervous handling. unless your going to be at the track, don't even bother worring about stuff like top speed, 1/4 mile, etc. you'll NEVER even come close to utalizing all the potential any 600cc sport bike has on the street. sit on them and see what fits you well, see how comfy/uncomfy the seat is, what you think of the looks, etc...you obviously want to get a bike that you have some kinda emotional reaction to, so best bet is to go with that (again, this is all under the assumption that 600cc bike is *not* your first bike).
personally, i just don't think you can beat the overall looks, comfort, and handling of the Yamaha bikes...but i'm biased.
the R6 has the dopest dashboard, too. :)

-chr|s
It's not my first bike. My first bike is my current bike: a 2000 Honda CBR F4. I know your not supposed to start with a sportbike, but I didn't want to get something I'd sell in 6 months.

Anyway, I understand Kawi has softened the suspension for '04.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was wondering how your learning experience was on a 600cc bike since it's usually not recommended as a first bike to learn on. I'm due to get my first bike which is a cbr600f4i, and I wanted to know how you did on yours.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I really liked the ZX6R as well but the ergos just didn't work for me. Way to long and low. The R6 fit the best and does have way better guages than the Kawi. Something just to keep in mind as well, where I'm from, Vancouver, BC, the resale value on an R6 is much better than a Kawi.:2cents:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've been on both bikes, both the 2003 and the 2004 models.

I liked them both..., for me, I went with an 04 R6. I think the handling is way better, and honestly, that's where it's at, at least for me. The 636 did feel like it wanted to pull a little sooner, but all that means is you gotta get those RPMs up on the Yamaha.

I agree with an earlier post..., don't base your decision on numbers/times/whatever from races and/or magazines. I'm willing to bet you're not a professional racer, so they mean nothing. A pro can destroyer any of us street boys on any bike in the same class (more than likely). Here's some, in my opinion, pros/cons of both (this is a stock somparo, mind you)

636-
smooth throttle, liked the braking, but heavy on the corners. Felt quicker. ABSOLUTELY HATE the stupid digital tach.

R6-
abrupt throttle makes for heavy engine braking when tooling around. Love the light front end, all I do is think about cornering and she goes. runs with the best at higher RPMs...., stock front brakes are soft, gonna replace them ASAP.

Comes to personal preference..., ultimately, I just liek the R6 looks better. Sorry so long, hope it helps.

·
Registered
88 Posts
They always use the 636 (ZX6R) in the comparos cuz a ZX6RR (the 600cc) has no outstanding features. So yeah they cheat. Even thought it may be faster, it doesn't handle as well. In the long run the YZF-R6 is faster cuz the 636 will be in the shop after wiping out around the corner.:rolleyes: h:twofinger

·
Registered
471 Posts
yeah, too bad kawi has to make a 636 to keep up with the other 600's. If Yammi, Honda, and Suzook all made 636's, kawi would be at the back of tha pack.

in that crowd, R6 all the way.

-sedition

·
Registered
264 Posts
Waxmaster,
I started out with an R6, and I have to say that the power is not a big deal. I personally wish it had more. I am a big guy though and that might have something to do with it(6'2 215). I grew racing dirt bikes. My KX250 is more of a handful than my r6. I can't even get the front off the ground without clutching it(which I have not tried). My 250 will wheelie through all six gears. Now, I am not telling you to go buy an R1. I am glad I didn't, but I will most likley buy one next season. I would say that if you have a lot of experience on a dirt bike, then a 600cc streat bike won't be a big deal because you are use to breaking the tire loose in corners, and keeping the front end down under hard acceleration. Just remember that pavement is less forgiving than dirt and buy the proper equipment.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
If the comparison is still going, then keep in mind that the 05 bikes are completely different, at least for 636. Although Kawasaki cheats in displacement, it doesn't really matter for the streets. Kawasaki has been rated best handling as well, and it's in number 1 Supersport position for most credible mags.

Personally, I don't like the aesthetics, I think the 03-04 ZX-6R looked better even without the undertail.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
snickerz said:
Buy whatever makes you happy. Opinions are like *ssholes everyone has one. Let your friends chime in as soon as they kick in for the purchase price.

It's been said many times before. There are no bad motorcycles anymore.

:thumb:

P.S. Harley's are of course excluded from the statement above

no they arent...

harleys arent motorcycles. :twofinger

1 - 20 of 20 Posts