Sportbike World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I think I'm ready to purchase an aftermarket exhaust system. I would like to get a highmount but not so high that it takes out my turn signals. I really don't want to replace the stock pipe but I continue to drag the pipe when I corner. I don't want to rejet or have to retune the bike at all. I would also like a pipe that has a reasonable sound to it. I don't need everyone in town knowing when I'm coming down the street.

any suggestions....

thanx in advance

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
What's up bro? I have to once again recommend Yoshimura for you. I used to ride with a guy who had a '00 r6 and he had a Yoshimura full system on the bike. It sounded really good and it looked amazing. I would definitely go with Yosh. Here is the bike apps. page:

http://cochise.uia.net/cgi-bin/simple/exhaust.html
You can also call Yoshimura with any questions you may have at: 1-800-634-9166
FYI: The high mount systems are indicated by a "HI" in the model number.

Good luck bro, let us know what you decide...

[Edited by CBR Brutha on 10-23-2000 at 04:30 AM]

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
who cares, have you seen them? And they sound so sweet!
The website gives no numbers, just a dyno curve for an R1. You probably have to contact directly.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Re: thanks

VYPIR said:
I really like that BW Racing high mount. How does it rate compared to others?
How it rates to others I am not sure. On my R1 I estimate around 3-4 HP. The best part was, all I did was bolt on the slip-on, I did nothing with jetting at all. And yes it sounds very sweet. Although it doesn't show well in the pics the carbon fiber is the best I have ever seen. The dual outlet is what snagged me but I have nothing to complain about on anything else. You can see the high mount on my bike at my website http://yzfr1.sportbikeworld.com

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Originally posted by RLJ3RD
You can see the high mount on my bike at my website
Dude, what's up with all that unworn tread on the sides of your tires? :D

Nah really: That pipe looks totally kickin'! Nice tail too! (Not what I meant Pete ;))

·
Registered
275 Posts
jk6672 said:
I'd hate to say this but I'd go with the Akrapovic :D
If I were going with a full system I would too. I'm still not convinced that it is worth it on the street.

G

·
Drooling...

I've told RLJ this before, but I'll say it again, his is THE baddest looking street R1 I have ever seen. The simplicity of the red/white paint scheme, the BW pipe, and the Dussault rear give me serious wood.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Re: Drooling...

Pete said:
I've told RLJ this before, but I'll say it again, his is THE baddest looking street R1 I have ever seen. The simplicity of the red/white paint scheme, the BW pipe, and the Dussault rear give me serious wood.
Thanks Pete, but I seriously have one of the most mundane R1's out there, for now! The changes they are a coming!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well I really can't say what pipe is the best. To be honest every pipe (exhaust) and bike are different. How much money do ya wanna spend???? Do you care only about looks or you want Hp only? Do you care how well the pipe is made (ie. how nice the welds are) As far as I am concerned Akropovich and Leo Vinci and Arrow make the best quality pipes AS far as welds and so forth and well as for my personal opinion the Leo Vinci gave me atleast 7-8 hp. So weigh your options as I did decide and stick with it. Remember and R1 is not an R6 altho similar the BW pipe may not make but 2 hp for your bike. I suggest calling all the manufactures and ask them any and every question you have and they will be glad to help ya!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Correct the R1 is not an R6. Before I reiterate let me say that I in no way work for Black Widow Racing. Of all the manufacturers out there no one has been as helpful as Joe Riley at BWR. Before purchasing the pipe I would call with a question and Joe would literally walk off the production floor to pick up the phone, let me remind you that this is the guy who is welding and making these pipes not some flunky phone rep. I seriously doubt you would get quite the service from most other exhaust company's. Initially I was sold on the BWR cause of the bad ass looks. The performance is asolutely astounding though, remember all I did was clamp the pipe on nothing else, no adjustments or jet kits or needles. I believe I would increase my results by some minor dyno tuning. My purchasing the pipe I did were mostly based on astetics, but wow did I ever make the right decision. I would also add that untill you actually see the pipe I can't explain the quality of the materials and construction. The carbon fiber itself is the best I have ever seen and I have seen alot including some very high end military stuff. All in all I do think that if your looking for a slip-on, with the top end pipes performance will not vary too much so go with which pipe pleases you the most. Just a side note BWR also makes headers that can be added on later, at least for the R1 they do. Like I said I don't work for them I am just one very impressed customer that wants to share a good thing with other riders. Give Joe a call you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
i don't know if mig makes a high mount slip-on for the r6, but i know two guys (and a third who had one) who have them and they are sweet. getting kinda me-too, but i still like them a lot.

they have details on eurobikes.

you can also see them other the pictures section on my webpage.

G

·
Tony, thanks for the mention of Eurobikes. I hadn't yet tried them for a quote on MiG pipes, and just found out that they are almost $200 cheaper than the other quotes I got for the VTR hi pipes. YOU DA MAN!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts