Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today me and several of my friends were riding and one of those friends has a 1999 R1.I was riding beside him after leaving a red light when i heard a loud crashing sound,I looked and my friend was crashing all over the pavement.We were doing about 40 or 50 mph and had just left a red light .The cause of the wreck was his rear hub exploded and sent him and the bike flying.There are alot of witnesses even the drivers of cars stopped to say they had never seen anythig like that.Bike is still under warranty so I hope Yamaha does the right thing but if not I can see a real bad lawsuit coming.

In there quest to make the best and lightest motorcycle possible maybe they have overlooked saftey.I hope other owners of this bike will read this and demand there dealer check there bike because this is not the first hub to blow on those bikes.My friend is sore and scrapped but is pretty much ok and I'm thankfull but why should any of us have to worry about a defect like this.That could have been his life.

------------------
Chris Blackman
If it is GREEN it has to be better!

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Man, here every good road is either dominated
by cars or ruled by squids, it's impossible
to find a good road that's close and clear.
Hey thanks, got that V, I think I'll put
it in my Boss' coffee so I can leave early...
hehe

Thanks again for the call, Sooth my mind...

------------------

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
AAAarrrrrrgggg! I don't need this crap now.
It's technically Monday and the Flyers lost.
I hope that's the end of the bad news today.

Please keep us informed on this one! When
you say it exploded, you mean it just came
apart for no reason? Is he a heavy rider?
Ride w/ passengers alot? Ohh boy....
Arrrg!

------------------

[This message has been edited by chris_y2k_r1 (edited May 30, 2000).]

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Now Chris, that wouldn't be frustration would it? I mean, whatever happened to Get a Yamaha - Be forever Happy? Uh-oh, maybe Young Christopher is beginning to see the light of Team Red.

What could this mean??? THE WORLD IS COMING TO AN END!!! THE SKY IS FALLING!!! EVERYONE...RUNNNNNNN...hehehe :D :D

Sorry man...I couldn't resist. It was a platinum opportunity (platinum even better than golden :D :D) I'm sure you would've grabbed the opportunity had it presented itself to you. Unfortunately for you, I already ride a Honda, so you'll be waiting a LONG while!! HEHEHE

All in fun...
~Nick

------------------
2000 CBR600F4
Piped, Jetted, totally trick...
Keep the Rubber side down
my Bruthas AND Sistas!!!

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Paaallleeeezeee!! I've ridden many Hondas.
I'm not going to bail on Yamaha b/c of this.
I like the Yamis, I love the agressive
riding position and the looks, plus it's
hard to beat the numbers of the R1 too. I'll
rough it out until we find out what the deal
is... Though I must say I'm not happy with
Yamaha.

------------------

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Dude, don't worry. Re-read the last line of my post "All in Fun". I was only jokin' with ya'. I have respect for Yamaha, really! I mean, how many companies can produce a bike as revolutionary as the R1?

Anyway...hope you know I was only kiddin'. Wouldn't wanna make an enemy out of a guy who puts up some of the best doggone posts around :D

------------------
2000 CBR600F4
my Bruthas AND Sistas!!!

[This message has been edited by CBR Brutha (edited May 30, 2000).]

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
I knew u were joking; I'm not upset with that
man, I'm tweaked that I can't beat the hell
out of me bike with faith now until I hear
about some sort of resolution for this
problem....

Anyway I'll be the first to say the Honda has
the leading quality of any manufacturer out
there. I'm not big on the looks and ergos
of the Hondas that's all. Though I'm sure
I like it more for every Yamaha recall I
saw... :D

------------------

·
Registered
6 Posts
Chris,
I'd hope Yamaha had rectified all the recalls on the R1 before the 2K version came out. If I were you,i'd be on the phone to find out for sure. I ain't a "Yamaha rep." by any means, but I know they had several recalls last year: Clutch basket, Rear sprocket carrier (hub) and something about a radiator hose clamp, come to mind. I have a friend who works at the local Yam shop as a tech. I could give him a call if you want to find out the straight scoop, if you don't trust your dealer. :(

Steve

------------------

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
If you could that would be great. I have
no good Yami contacts.. Atleast one that I
would trust in this situation. I would be
indebted if you could make that phone call.

Thanks man!!! :)

------------------

·
Registered
6 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chris_y2k_r1:
If you could that would be great. I have
no good Yami contacts.. Atleast one that I
would trust in this situation. I would be
indebted if you could make that phone call.

Thanks man!!! :)
I talked to my pal, and he said the 2000 model is "good to go!". He mentioned the '99 also got front pads and side stand bolts. So wheelie on! :D
Bring that R1 down to my neck of the woods and let me see if I can grind the pegs down some. :)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Thanks man, thank God. I was not happy.
Are you anywhere near GAP?

Man this crappy weather is beating the hell
out of my bad foot (guard rail won that one).
Somebody email me a percocet.

Later!
Chris

------------------

·
Registered
6 Posts
Where's GAP? are you talking about the infamous Deal's Gap? No. I'm up in the NE corner of TN. 3 hours from the Gap. Nice area here. Relatively unknown (as in squid magnet :), like Deal's). Lotta curves, lotta good roads.
The weather has been about as bad here. :( Got a good ride in Sat. afternoon. Open your e-drive (CD) on your computer tower. I emailed you a valium. :D

------------------

·
Registered
292 Posts
R1's are known to have weak cush drives. Did your friend pull lots of wheelies? That's what usually breaks them down. I don't know if they strengthened it for 2000 or not.

------------------
1999 Blue/White YZF-R1: 2 Bros. C4 exhaust, Dynojet jet kit, timing tricker, dyno-tuned by Graves

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The thing that is so bad is my friend(Jason)is not an aggresive rider he does not know how to wheelie no more than what the bike does when you take off.He also took the bike in for all recalls and they never mentioned the rear hub.This is real sad because he may not get another bike he is really shook up.It did not explode it ripped all the spokes loose from the hub and slammed him to the groung with a very hard loop,bike landed on him.I have pictures on my website of the bike at the scene on my web site at sportbike world.
http://qbclub13.sportbikeworld.com/

------------------
Chris Blackman

[This message has been edited by qbclub13 (edited May 30, 2000).]

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey Chris,
If your friend's R1 is still under warrentee, then Yamaha will have to make all nessesary repairs free of charge. Right?

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Damn, I just checked out that picture Chris
and that is F*%&$%*$ up bro... I hope your
buddy gets everything he deserves and more
from Yamaha... If they've ruined riding for
him then I think they owe him big!!!

I really hope that your buddy at the shop is
right b/c if that happens to me I probably
won't be going slow... It's obviously not
the cush drive it's the damn casting of the
frikkin rear wheel... SOOOO SHADEY!!!

Bad Yamaha! Bad bad bad!

Arrrrrggg!

------------------

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Holy ---- dude! I just looked at that pic and I have to say that I'm goin' with Chris on this one. Yamaha needs to pay big for that. That is completely unacceptable. I would say the same had it been Honda or anyone else. That could have hurt your friend a lot more than it did, and if it killed the passion in Jason that most of us share for riding, than he needs to get a lot more than free repairs. I mean a LOT more!!! Now I'm pissed!!! I could go on and on, but I won't. Just make sure that dude gets justice!

------------------
2000 CBR600F4
my Bruthas AND Sistas!!!

[This message has been edited by CBR Brutha (edited May 31, 2000).]

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The feeling we are getting from Yamaha dealer is that the warranty will not cover it and he is going to have to get his insurance to pay.I have talked to my Kawi dealer they looked at the bike and he is going to get his lawyer to help Jason get with Yamaha.Jason is not a big lawsuit guy all he wants is his medical bill paid and a new bike(not an r1).He also wants to make sure this does not happen to anyone else.

My Dad is an x-ray tech that does all kinds of testing and he is gonna test the part when the insurance company sends it to him he looked at it and said that there is no way yamaha can claim no fault.

Please if you ride this bike take your rim to a testing place and let them test the casting.It is not that costly and could save your life.I'm happy to say that if Jason rides again it will be on a 929 or a ZX-9r.SO if Yamaha sends him a new r1 You can get it from him at cost.

------------------
Chris Blackman

1 - 20 of 91 Posts