Sportbike World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone carry a passenger on an r1 comfortably? don't want to hear the get her a bike line unless you're buying.

------------------
Tony

00 GSX-R750-yellow & black--coming!!!
88 FZR400-krylon black
F2 is outta here!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I still have my ZX7R and my wife hates it.. she says it makes her ass fly high.. and she took one look at My R1 and said Hell No! So just by the looks of it....she aint riding....but I cant say for sure that its any worse. but then again is there a sportbike bike make with passenger comforts in mind?......It does look more uncomfortable than the Zx7.....
My 2 cents

------------------

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
I had a passenger once ot twice on my R6
last year and they said it was like riding
on a 2x4.

Haven't put anyone on the R1 yet but hey
screw everybody else anyway.

------------------

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i rode her on my friend's r1 and the problem seems to be the distance from my ass to the passenger seat, making her lean over really far. she can barely see over me. i was wondering if anyone had suggestions

------------------
Tony

88 FZR400-krylon black
F2 is outta here!!!

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
When I was looking for another bike last summer my two final choices were the 1998 ZX9r and the 1999 R1.

I love the R1, but I also like to carry a passenger on the back once in a while.

I got the 1998 ZX9R. (And beat most R1's around here through the twisties, even with a passenger on the back) :)

------------------
Robert Basil
It ain't easy being green,
but it sure is fun!

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i've kicked the 9r around too. it's a sweet bike with a bad rap from 1994.

------------------
Tony

88 FZR400-krylon black
F2 is outta here!!!

·
Registered
292 Posts
I bought the Corbin passenger seat to alleviate the pain for a passenger but it still isn't very comfortable or safe. There's nothing to hold on to and it sets the passenger too far from the rider. If the GF wants to come along, we take the convertible. ;)

------------------
1999 Blue/White YZF-R1: 2 Bros. C4 exhaust, Dynojet jet kit, timing tricker, dyno-tuned by Graves

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Like built it padding? IE a big butt!
Hehehe.

I was acutally thinking of buying an extra
rear cowl and making grab rails for the
passenger. I don't know why there isn't a
law mandating grab rails on the rear.

Oh well... I must be on crack or something.

------------------

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i've had her (i mean rode her, err, she was a passenger on my friend's r1 with me riding).

the hard seat isn't the problem. it's the distance between rear of the rider's seat to her. she doesn't have a gut to fill in the space. i'm working on it, but i haven't filled in the r1 seat either (yet).

it leaves a big gap. my friend's r1 has different seat from stock (done to match the paint). the grab strap is too tight for her to grab. so basically, she's leaned way the hell over so she can wrap her arms around me. has anyone figured a way around this. my friend has a cowl he usually has on instead of the seat, and he doesn't really remember much about the orginal grab strap.

everything else seems okay. the seat is hard, but apparantly the f2 seat wasn't much of a sofa either. the pegs are high, but she doesn't keep a lot of pressure on her legs anymore, so they didn't bother her. it was just the leaning over. i thought about having her sit on the back of the rider seat, i think we;d both fit.

------------------
Tony

88 FZR400-krylon black
F2 is outta here!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was going to take the "b--ch" seat off. My wife said leaving it on was a condition of sale.Although no one has gone more 50 miles on the rear,the kids didn't seem to mind. The wife agreed with one of the bike mags, that it had a seat like a sopository. It is a little deadly riding two up, because the front gets really light under power. I decided to leave the seat on to keep all the stuff in when you are on the road and tie the helmet on. Besides a 12 pack fits on it so nicely. It is a great grocery getter!! Hal

------------------

·
Registered
71 Posts
Why would you want to ruin your bike just so someone else Can go for an occassional ride?? If someone is so set on riding a streetbike you ought to try to convice them to get there own. I understand your GF or Wife or whatever but still I wouldn't "modify" my bike for someone who is only going to ride every once in a while. O well that just my .02 then again I have only ridden on the back of one bike. I don't want or ever will be a passenger I want my own bike and I want to be able to drive it and race it myself. Not be on the back w/no control while someone else is driving.

------------------
My Speed World

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Fastchick! I have a philosophical problem that you might be able to help with. When I met my wife, I had a YZ400 Yamaha dirtbike and an old Honda CB7500. I have had and rode bikes now for over 30 years. I still own the Honda. When I met her I sold the Yamaha and she even liked riding on the Honda, even in the rain. After we married she never rode with me again. I even bought a CB400 Honda,4 cyl. six speed so she could learn to ride, but she never got around to it. She even showed interest in snowmobiles till I bought two of them. She did go on a 10 mile ride on the new R-1 I bought this year, but that was on April first. My question is!! Should I now try to buy a sidecar for the Yamaha YZF R-1, Tee Hee, Or try to find a new wife. Or should I just be happy that she lets me out of the house to go play with my friends. Hal

------------------

1 - 13 of 13 Posts