Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please let me know how you really feel about the R1, and if you think it's going to be number one next year and why.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I absolutely love my R1. I waited eight years for this machine and it was well worth every minutes wait. If I could change one thing it would have been the color selection but I guess that is some thing I will probably change anyway (anyone have a number for Santini down in L.A.). For the street the power is right where you need it, at your finger tips. The bike communicates itself very well and you always seem to know what it is doing in conjunction with the road. I was a little disappointed in the Y2K model though. There were a few more things I would like to have seen; decent ram air, fuel injection (hell I might as well just say it "MORE POWER")
And Yamaha if your listening how about a nice shade of BLACK like that 90' FZR-1000 I drooled over in the showroom window so long ago. As for the lack of improvments I guess it is hard to see the top when your standing there. Yeah I love my R1 and wouldn't trade it for anything, not even an improved one!

------------------
RLJ3RD ... 98' R1
"The only thing worse than regret is not trying"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't had the chance to ride one, and I'd like to buy one, but the first chance I get I will. I think the blue and white color scheme is perfect, but I'd like to see it in yellow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Completely in love with my R1...
I was accustomed to 600s before this year when I picked up my '99 R1 - what a difference. Don't listen to those 600cc guys telling you there is no difference except that they are faster in the corners. I used to look forward to trying other people's bikes just to see what they are like, but now, I'm just pissed that I wasted that time away from my R1! There may be a better bike around the corner (I hope there is), but for now, the R1 is the best thing out there!

·
Registered
1 Posts
6yrs ago I had an ZX-7 90' and thought this was the best bike. Not so, I just bought my 99' R1 3months ago and everytime I think about riding it I get emotional. Just as I've imagined how video games should have been when I was 10 years old (like Quake, or Delta Force) is how I've imagined owning such a machine like the R1. Nothing but death will ever seperate me and my R1. My only complaint is the lack of suspension adjusting, but this can be overcome by investing about $400 int a Race Tech suspension.

MW

·
Registered
1 Posts
I love mine!!! Though I have made some adjustments, it handles like a dream.. Aside from maybe the r6 it is the best handling bike I have rode thus far. I too came from the 600 class and I agree though the 929 maybe some steep competition for next year..
later
------------------

[This message has been edited by yoshi (edited December 13, 1999).]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dont own one. Neighbor does though. Wouldnt let me ride it. I have an fzr 600 which I guess would be a distant ancestor of the yzf series. Nothing else as innovative as the R6 and R1 have come out for years. The R's should get a yellow black option though they do look great in that blue and white.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Fiz,

I saw an R1 painted in the old Yamaha bubble-bee (KR-colors), it looked sweet (in some 98 british rag).

I don't own an R1, but I have rode both of my friend's R1s, he's on his second. After crashing his first, he thought about a 'busa, but went back to the R1. The only way to discribe it is the bike is an FZR400 w/a NOS bottle stuck in the 'on' position. It's wild.

The negatives:

I agree the bike may be undersprung in the suspension area (but the soft suspension actually seemed to work well with me, buut I didn't ride too hard with it). It's a hard bike to adjust to from a 600 (so much power, you can pin-stripe any piece of asphalt).

The riding position is hard to adjust to, though most R1 owners would disagree. From the waist up it's not unlike a 916 (sport-oriented reach to the bars, feel like you're on top of the bike, not bad at all), from the waist down, it reminds me of an EX500. The pegs are WAY too far forward (for my tastes). In all fairness, I think the Ducati 916 and old gsxr's are comfy.

The brakes are un-tapped potential. My friend's 98 had no brake mods and I thought they had no initial bite, but weren't too bad, but really didn't impress me. they seemed to work fine, but not as good as my F2's brakes.

His 99 now has braided lines and EBC HH's. Like night and day. They are incredible. The bike will stop with authority. They coverted me into believing in Yamaha's caliper casting method. They are the best brakes I have ever used, period, including the 916.

Lastly, their crash-worthiness seems questionable. It may just be that people are crashing them at higher speeds than they would normally be. They also suck you into riding faster than you might normally. It doesn't seem unforgiving, but I didn't push it hard enough to find out. I'd imagine high sides are easy to do, but I hear more of lowside and rear brake panic stories with them.

The positives:

I really love the bike a lot. If I bought another street-sportbike, it's R6, R1, 996, depends on the dough I can spend. That's pretty good company. That also says how much I like it. I think my friend lets me ride his so I will buy one.

That's just my opinion of course.

------------------
Tony

94 CBR600F2 and 88 FZR400

·
Registered
7 Posts
Don't own one, but could be convinced to buy one (guess I'd have to change my name to yammie_man or something *grin*)
An instructor I know has one, and said he tried the ZX-9R, and had the bike at 110%, while he was only at 85%. Then he jumped on the R1, and it was the other way around - he was riding at 110%, while only using 80% of the R1's ability.
Anyone else out the ridden both bikes enough to give their own opinion.
Also looking for a recent comparison/shootout.

------------------
"It's all fun and games until someone scratches your bike!"

Mark [email protected]

·
Registered
2 Posts
MCN just came out with the first real world test of the 929RR, seems disappointing. I was expecting more from Honda. Seems the weight and hp claims were a bit exagerated and the fuel injection has it's problems. Because of this, I think the R1 will still be king in 2000. Actually, I'll bet the new GSXR750 will take the 929. Here's part of what MCN had to say about the 929:

"HONDA'S year 2000 FireBlade is a new bike from the wheels to the mirrors
and with a pedigree like the CBR900RR it's no surprise it's the sharpest
Blade ever built.

Feels smaller and more compact than the old bike
We rode the £8495 bike at its world launch at the Estoril circuit in Portugal
and found there's few road bikes that can lap a track so fast and feel so
easy to ride on the edge. It's not the grunty R1-beater the world's been
waiting for, but it is a blindingly quick road bike that takes the FireBlade
name to a higher level. It's like the CBR600 to the more extreme Yamaha
R6.

With a claimed 150bhp at the crank and claimed dry weight of 170kg it was
never going to be a slouch. From the moment it's fired-up it's obvious the
new fuel-injected 929cc bike offers a lot more than the softer 1998
version. The engine barks and the needle jumps round the rev-counter at a
ferocious rate. Aiming it on to the track it feels much smaller and compact
than the old bike. But the riding position isn't as radical as the Blade's
nearest Yamaha rival. It feels light, certainly not 170kg light, but you can
instantly tell it's a much tighter package.

There's not quite as much grunt as the R1 anywhere, and there's a slightly
unwelcome glitch at 3000 rpm, but compared to the old Blade it's stronger
everywhere. First gear can be a bit choppy as the fuel-injection switches
in and out, but there's no problem with it in other gears. Slip it in to
second and the power's on hard enough to make sure your weight is over
the front as it hits 5000rpm. By 8000rpm the digital speedo's playing games
with your eyes and it's charging hard with the trademark Blade whir.

Maximum power's kicking in at around 10,750rpm and there's really is no
need to rev it any further. In fact it's got more than enough to short shift
and still make very rapid progress.

Luckily the bike's new pivotless aluminium beam-frame keeps everything in
check and the handling's divine. The Blade's trademark 16" front wheel has
been junked for a conventional 17in front and Michelin Pilot Sport tyres
front and rear, which work well on the bike and hardly blistered after
continuous fast laps.

Get on the brakes hard and the new four-piston Nissin calipers bite hard
with plenty of control and lots of power. Let off the brakes and it turns in
quickly and mid-corner there's so much more feedback at the front end.

If it's about to let go you'll know about it early, something that couldn't be
said about the old bike. Unfortunately I didn't get too ride it on the road,
but there's no doubt it's a fantastic and well-built road bike. Sadly, it might
not be extreme enough for some."

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
Coop,

Riding a bike is 80% rider and 20% bike. I don't think your GSXR is better then an R1, it's just that you are a better rider than your friends.

------------------
Robert Basil
Sportbikeworld Admin
90 ZX7, 94 ZX9R, 97 ZX7R, 98 ZX9R.
It ain't easy being green, but it sure is fun!

·
Registered
1 Posts
first of all i don't want to hurt anyone,s feelings but till ya'll ride a 750 suzuki i would not buy a R-1 ! i have ridden 3 R-1's and one 750 needless to say i bought a 750 within a week !!!! handle 10 times better and the power is not that much different my stock 98 750 dyno run was 119 hp corrected and 123 actual ( STOCK ) i have out ran
R-1's on top end and in any given gear and a couple of zx-9's that wear supposedly fast so until you ride a suzuki srad 750 don't rule them out and if you own a R-1 go ride a buddy's GSXR 750 i will bet you will trade yours in very soon to go get one !!! i know threee guys who own R-1's and one got a suk. a couple days ago and the other 2 are in the process of getting one now see what i am talking about ??? just thought i would put my 2 cents in !! enjoy !!!

------------------
coop

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
I recently bought the Jan issue of Bike (a British magazine). It had Carlo Checa's R1. The word wow comes to mind.

------------------
Tony

94 CBR600F2 streetbike
88 FZR400 trackbike
e-mail:[email protected]

·
Registered
2 Posts
The bottom line here is that yeah the '00 R1 will prob be a great bike, when it runs! Look at the 98 R1, cush gear and numerous tranny problems in first & second. No thanks! That is why I got a '99, no problems no sweat. think about it, almost every time a manufacturer comes out with something new it's always got it's bugs. I'll wait for the '01 or '02. Just my .02 cents

------------------
** 99 R1 **

G

·
James, waiting for the '01 or '02 is easy for you when you already have the '99! ;-)
You're right though, most new models of anything have their bugs.

Got any pics of your bike that you can share?

Oh, BTW, welcome!

------------------
Pete
1994 VFR 750

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the welcome. I am still waiting on getting my scanner this weekend to be able to scan pix and stuff. I'm not computer literate, so this may be a very long trial n error session. If your really interested, ask Robert, we ride almost every weekend.

------------------
1999 Blue R1

·
Registered
4 Posts
WORKING AT A DEALER I'VE RIDDEN PRETTY MUCH EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN(EXCEPT MAYBE A MV AUGUSTA :) ) ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS THAT THE 99 R1 IS THE ONE I SUNK MY OWN MONEY INTO, AND LOVE IT. DON'T REGRET IT A BIT. I ALREADY GOT 5100 MILES ON THE CLOCK SINCE NOVEMBER.THE ONLY THING IS IT DOES NEED A STEERING DAMPER IN BIG WAY :)

------------------
WHAT'S GREEN ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD?
GRASS, A TREE OR A KAWI :)
PASCAL, '99 R1 BLUE

·
Registered
3 Posts
To put it mildly, I would marry this bike if it were allowed. Mine is a 2000 and handles great,would not trade it for any other bike. I am lucky enough to have good friends that wor for almost all brand of bike dealerships and have ridden everything I wanted to, although most are short rides, and still would keep the R1. Hopefully will get to try the 929 saturday but don,t believe it has what it takes to take me away from the R1. Anyone found a way totalk the woman into sharing the bedroom with an R1?

------------------

AL
2000 R1

·
Registered
22 Posts
I got my Y2K R1 on March 24th. It is an awesome ride. This is my 6th Yamaha and I may never need to buy another bike!

From what I've read on the new 929, the R1 will remain the top bike. The Fuel injection problems with the 929 and RC51 sound nasty.

Things I Love:
The feedback from the road is excellent, and the handling is effortless. The riding position is agressive but wasn't as bad getting used to as people warned me about. The power and zoomability is almost instant at any revs above 2k, oh in any gear too. I think the brakes are great as on my 00 YZF600R too. I think all YZF bikes use the Sumitomo sp? brakes and I think most agree they are some of the best out there.

Things I don't love:
Don't get me wrong here, I love my bike and would not sell or trade it for anything but... The seat gets uncomfortable at about the 150 mile range. It has a slight buzz in the bars between 4200-5000 RPM, most prominent in 3rd gear. Lastly, the silencer could be a little less effective.

Jason
00 YZF-R1
00 YZF600R

[This message has been edited by Arcanum (edited April 27, 2000).]

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Wow, Tough ???

I love my Y2K R1 becuase:

It got humongous balls, extremley intense
brakes. Looks like nothing I've ever seen
before, chassis is sooooo solid and it's
the most flickable liter bike ever.
Not to mention that 500 yard wheelies are
totally achievable.

Things I could do without:

It eats tires for breakfast, er, um, er ....
uhhh.... thinking... uhh it gets too many
bugs on it.. uh... err... It doesn't handle
quite like the R6, uh.... it cost too much...
uh,.... It hasn't made me breakfast yet or
bl**n me yet either... uh... Oh Oh yeah I got
a good one, it really could use a little more
wind protection.

Yeah I think it's a keeper, no new bike for
me in the foreseeable future!

As far as the GSX 750 goes, well I came from
an R6 and I still think that the R1 could
use more power (not that it's slow, I'm just
sick)... So I have no desire to purchase
something with less torque even it it handles
better, I'll just ride it harder. Must