Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The R1 beat out the RC51, GSXR750,and the R6!!! shazam!!!

------------------
Kyle M. m/16 Noblesville,IN

If you're a poser and you know it, clap your hands.

"Big Dick's HARDCORE Road Racing School, where we drag more than our knees."

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
r1's suck.....

....up pavement like nobody's business

they are awesome bikes. i'm just surprised, didn't motorcyclist say that the 929 was better a couple of months ago. in this case, i think they made the best call, unless the 929 is really better (either that or honda forgot to mail in its check).

as for the gsxr1000, i'm not sure that it'll be much faster, if at all. if i had an r1 wouldn't go jumpin' on the gsx-r bandwagon yet.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Hey Johnny boy take that!! Heheeee!

I love my R1 to death - it is the meanest
thing I've ever ridden however I claim no
manufacturer longterm loyalty. It looks like
the Gixxer 1000 will be the Liter Bike of the
year for 2001. I want one!!

On this note - R1 owners, I sware I could use
more power... I'm just use to what it's got.
Anyone else out there feel the same way??

Chris

------------------
I really should be working...

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chris_y2k_r1:
Hey Johnny boy take that!! Heheeee!

I love my R1 to death - it is the meanest
thing I've ever ridden however I claim no
manufacturer longterm loyalty. It looks like
the Gixxer 1000 will be the Liter Bike of the
year for 2001. I want one!!

On this note - R1 owners, I sware I could use
more power... I'm just use to what it's got.
Anyone else out there feel the same way??

Chris

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL!!! :D

I guess I will have to cancel that subscription now. ;)

It's kind of funny that the reason the RC-51 lost is the reason I bought the RC-51... focused purpose. :) At least I think that is why. I didn't watch the whole show. :confused:

Seriously, I think the R1 is a damn nice machine and even I feel it was the best all around of that group. Not really much competition. :cool:

I'm with you on the '01 Gixxer1000. It should be sweet and will probably de-throne the 929 next year in FXtreme. ;)

BTW, I witnessed a '00 Gixxer750 on a dyno this weekend. It just had a Hindle exhaust and no re-map yet. Put out 125 at rear wheel. Not bad at all. I have watched a couple of other bikes on the dyno and it appears to be a pretty accurate dyno. :)

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
IMO the GSXR 1000 will be the bike to beat in FXtreme. And I am looking for a sugar momma to assist in me getting one. I might even consider a sugardaddy for the black/gray paintjob. But I would need a matching tankbag too.

------------------
If if if....
If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass every time he jumps!

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
i think the 929 will be the bike to beat in fx next year. reason--erion has more money than anyone else.

though the black 1000 is awesome looking.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cbrf2boy:
i think the 929 will be the bike to beat in fx next year. reason--erion has more money than anyone else.

though the black 1000 is awesome looking.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 929 is definitely the one to beat. I also think that Lopez or Hopkins will do it as long as the GSXR is reliable. :)

When you're champ you are always the one to beat. ;)

------------------
John

·
Registered
275 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by funksouljon:
IMO the GSXR 1000 will be the bike to beat in FXtreme.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah and if a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his ass everytime he ..... Yeah never mind! I 'll say it again I woulsn't hold my breath on the 1000 Gixxer just yet.

------------------
RLJ3RD
"Those whom the gods would destroy they first make proud"

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RLJ3RD:
Yeah and if a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his ass everytime he ..... Yeah never mind! I 'll say it again I woulsn't hold my breath on the 1000 Gixxer just yet.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're right... it may struggle in beating the 929 but it will probably roast the R1 even after it craps its requisite 2 gears. :rolleyes: :p :D

Seriously, I think we could agree that it should be a better battle next year. The Yamis looked better at Willow even considering the locals' experience. It would be nice if Kawi would bring something to the fight too. :)

------------------
John

[This message has been edited by RCjohn (edited October 05, 2000).]

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
I will agree with that reliability statement.
First year issue machines are always hairy.
I must admit that the R1 is the FIRST bike
I've owned that has not blown up in some
manner, tranny or motor throughout a whole
season. The first, and that's ten years
worth of motor shrapnel I'm talking here
so props to Yamaha!! I'm not sure it will
take another years worth of whoop-ass though.
I hope so.

On that note I would like to add that the
worst motors I have ever dealt with as far
as abuse tolerance were clearly Kawisakis.
I blew up 3 motors in one year and that
wasn't coming close to the level of abuse I
can dish out now and it was NOT on the track
either. Not to mention that everything I've
ever owned allthough it got the piss beat
out of it, was well mantained.

Food for thought.

Chris

Go Yami - Go Yami! :D

------------------
I really should be working...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ha ha, Yammie wins again!! For those out there who are baggin on the R1 that don't own a liter bike, well........
Let's compare apples to apples. I OWN a R1, I don't borrow one or rode my brother's or what ever story has been said. I don't own a 600cc rode a couple but I surely don't claim to be the 600cc guru. What I can relate to is liter bikes. Prior to my R1 I had a GSXR 1100.
I relate to the GSXR like an american vehicle, I'll never buy one again. Could care less about changes, blah, blah, blah.
I have rode the 900RR and the 929RR and I like what Honda has done but the HP isn't there for me bone stock.
Kawasaki I relate to as a little league team trying to play in the major's. Go back to the drawing board.
A leopard can change his colors but not his spots. Lookie here, f****'g Yamaha after 3 production years still can fix the wonderful 2nd gear blowing up and the sob's won't cover it under any warranty. As for the GSXR 1000, I'll see it, ride it and I'm guestimating like every 1st year model it will have it's inevitable problems. Look at the '98 R1 (cush drive, kickstand, brake pads, coolant clamp), you couldn't GIVE me a '98.
As for most magazines have complained/compared the bikes, (ie: lack of h.p. (929), poor braking systems (R1), weak shocks (R1) and forks (R1 again!), I'd love for one of them magazine boneheads to come ride MY R1. Not only is the color unique (still looks somewhat stock, it's definitely not!), BUT where I know Yamaha has failed, I have spent $$ and corrected. Race Tech gold valves & springs, Fox twin clicker out back, Storz steering dampner, Full Micron w/DJ jet and Rohm advancer (146.5 rwhp) and Galfer lines with performance friction pads.
I've put a sheeeeyite load of $$ into my bike, (thank God the wife don't know about the secret credit card!) and I wouldn't part with my bike for anything! My bike is faster than any (non-turbo'd or nitroused) 900/929 or GSXR 1000, handles almost as well as fat ass Haga's R7, stops on a dime, and she looks just as beautiful as the aformentioned spouse.
So where the hell is the rambling going on here, my point is this, if you want a stock bike, your never going to put a dime into aftermarket parts and you think them little orange/yellow warning stickers look cool all over your bike, I say knock yourselves out. I try to be different, gain as much performance and handling as I can with as much as my credit line will support.
I know alot of people are going to blaze me. Fine! As long as the pot is stirred there's gonna be some cookin' going on here. Hey, I was 21 at one time and could only scrape together enough $$ to really appreciate my '90 FZR 600 with V&H Supersport system. But I did dream about that FZR 1000, wow I thought, how fast could I go? That dream was satisfied one year ago this month when I got my R1. Every day when I ride my R1 or just look at it, I think back to my FZR 600 and can appreciate what I have right now. And for everyone that emails me directly and says let's run, fine. Let me know when the next open track day is. Don't email me about your 1/4 mile times, It means jack squat to me. I ran my bike in the 1/4 and it accomplisted two things. One, D207's get a flat spot after 10 runs, you can't use them on the street 'cos of the flat spot and they cost $120 new mounted and balanced. Two, the 1/4 mile did for me was appreciate my R1 for what she is.......
........a sportbike. Not a 1/4 mile drag bike.
IMO, I have the best R1 out there with my modifications and any time any bone stock liter sportbike wants to play, as Doc Holliday says "I'm your huckleberry".
I'm out.........

------------------
"There may be many like my R1 but there is only 1"

www.weaselracingR1.homestead.com

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Weasel, you better relax a bit. LOL :D :D

I would like to add an opinion to the Sport Rider article. I've lost a bit of respect for the gentlemens' riding abilities. If I read it correctly, they ran a faster lap on the R6 than the RC 51, on the big track. I'm sorry but that shows riders who can't ride a twin. On the streets of Willow maybe it would make more sense but not on the big track. RC 51 has 10mph higher top speed, ~20 more horsepower. The telemetry showed faster corner speeds(in the tight stuff :confused: ) on the RC over the R6 which should say the extra weight of the RC was actually not an issue. The riders' comments and opinions just didn't agree with the numbers. :)

Oh, for you R1 guys patting yourselves on the back. You do have the most expensive bike of the 4 and you have the liter/cylinder advantage over the rest also. They were definitely comparing apple to oranges.

------------------
John

[This message has been edited by RCjohn (edited October 09, 2000).]

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cbrf2boy:
r1's suck.....

....up pavement like nobody's business
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Kyle M. m/16 Noblesville,IN

If you're a poser and you know it, clap your hands.

"Big Dick's HARDCORE Road Racing School, where we drag more than our knees."

·
Registered
292 Posts
I don't know, John, I just witnessed Kent Kunitsugu dice with Mike Smith for the lead in the Pro Thunder race at Willow Springs. Both were on Ducati 748's. He ended up second to him but not by much...and they were clearly ahead of everybody else. Kent can ride. I don't know about the rest of the staff. I remember when Motorcyclist did their "Does Size Matter?" over a year ago, comparing the R6, GSXR 750 and R1 on the track and street. Everyone went fastest on the R6 except the guest professional rider (Curtis Adams.) He went fastest on the R1 despite its severe headshake woes exiting corners and its tendency to tuck the front on entry. Curtis was good enought to ride around the problems of the bike. I would think Kent could do the same. How did he do on the RC51 vs. the R6?

------------------
"You must be fast 'cuz I was haulin' ass when I passed you"

1999 Blue/White YZF-R1: 2 Bros. C4 exhaust, Dynojet jet kit, timing tricker, dyno-tuned by Graves
2000 NBM/Lt Oak int/Blk top C5 Convertible - MN6, Z51, Vortex Rammer, A&A Exhaust, C/R X-pipe, Corsa tips, !CAGS

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mashuri:
I don't know, John, I just witnessed Kent Kunitsugu dice with Mike Smith for the lead in the Pro Thunder race at Willow Springs. Both were on Ducati 748's. He ended up second to him but not by much...and they were clearly ahead of everybody else. Kent can ride. I don't know about the rest of the staff. I remember when Motorcyclist did their "Does Size Matter?" over a year ago, comparing the R6, GSXR 750 and R1 on the track and street. Everyone went fastest on the R6 except the guest professional rider (Curtis Adams.) He went fastest on the R1 despite its severe headshake woes exiting corners and its tendency to tuck the front on entry. Curtis was good enought to ride around the problems of the bike. I would think Kent could do the same. How did he do on the RC51 vs. the R6?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure how Kent did on the RC and the R6. He is an excellent rider. The jury is still out on the other two though. :D The best lap time on the R6 was approx 1 second faster than the best RC lap, while the RC had higher power to weight ratio, higher top speed, faster roll ons, about same 1/4 mile speed. :confused: I'm sure that I would be faster around that track on an R6 than my RC but I'm no racer. ;) Gixxer and R1 are much more capable in street trim. :cool:

I was thinking that the previous comparo was held at the Streets of Willow. That was a great comparo for showing the advantages of an experienced racer(Curtis Adams) versus a less experience one. :)

------------------
John

·
Registered
292 Posts
Actually the comparo I was talking about was on the big track. They said Curtis did things on the R1 that would cause them (the MC staff) to taste tarmac in an instant. He ran over a second faster than he could do on the R6 and GSXR. Everyone else was most comfortable on the R6. Maybe there was a handling problem with the stock RC51 that hurt the SR staff's confidence a little. Perhaps the front end was a little vague or the chassis geometry just couldn't find a good comprimise (in stock trim.) I know a good rear shock and steering damper do wonders for the '98-'99 R1.

------------------

1999 Blue/White YZF-R1: 2 Bros. C4 exhaust, Dynojet jet kit, timing tricker, dyno-tuned by Graves
2000 NBM/Lt Oak int/Blk top C5 Convertible - MN6, Z51, Vortex Rammer, A&A Exhaust, C/R X-pipe, Corsa tips, !CAGS

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mashuri:
Actually the comparo I was talking about was on the big track. They said Curtis did things on the R1 that would cause them (the MC staff) to taste tarmac in an instant. He ran over a second faster than he could do on the R6 and GSXR. Everyone else was most comfortable on the R6. Maybe there was a handling problem with the stock RC51 that hurt the SR staff's confidence a little. Perhaps the front end was a little vague or the chassis geometry just couldn't find a good comprimise (in stock trim.) I know a good rear shock and steering damper do wonders for the '98-'99 R1.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Curtis Adams is amazing on that track. :)

I would say you are probably right on the RC suspension. :)

------------------
John

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
i think was mark junge who tested the '51 and the new gixxer in rrw and he made a lot of suspension changes to the '51. i wanna say he dropped the front like 8mm total, it was huge, plus all of the other fiddling.

also being the only twin, it likely felt a little hard to turn in after riding bikes like the r6/1 and gixxer. just a guess, since i haven't ridden a '51, but the 916 was like that. just a guess.

------------------
Tony

[This message has been edited by cbrf2boy (edited October 10, 2000).]

·
Registered
275 Posts
I don't know, John, I just witnessed Kent Kunitsugu dice with Mike Smith for the lead in the Pro Thunder race at Willow Springs.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was about the funniest damn thing I ever saw. Smith is tooling around the track thinking he is on the last lap and has everyone snuffed. BAM, around comes Kent while Mike was showing off to the crowd. Good thing he came to his senses in time to pass Kent before the checkered. Would have loved to see Kent pull that one off!

------------------
RLJ3RD
"Those whom the gods would destroy they first make proud"

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hey, Lee, I looked all over for you at the track man! Were you wearing that black cap the whole time or did you take it off? I stayed in the stands at turn four and it turned out to be where all the action was anyway! Watching Picotte slide into the hay bails and Bostrom get in that NASTY highside was killer! Was Kirsty able to find you there?

------------------

1 - 20 of 28 Posts