Sportbike World banner

R1 for 1st bike story

4K views 29 replies 21 participants last post by  bazoda 
#1 ·
brand new, belonged to a friend of mine, racing on a narrow curvey road, only had 500 miles on it and was his first bike (not too smart), couldn't take the curve and tumbled 140ft into the woods, broke both femurs, both arms, both shoulders, all ribs, had spleen removed, coma for a week or two, amputed left foot halfway down from his shin, and has spinal problems, he'll be able to walk again but it was a close one. BE CAREFUL....

Not my story just saw it and thought I'd post a link to it and the pic of the bike. Now the newbies can see why everyone says to stay the hell away from the liter bikes for a 1st ride.

This is from http://www.sportbikes.dhs.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=displayit&Picture_ID=28934

#3 ·
I could say the same thing about bathtubs. Damn deathtraps.

#5 ·
I knew a guy in highschool that got killed while riding a 50cc scooter. No joke its true. He was ran over by a drunk driver in a 6.6 liter Trans AM.
He was dragged for over a mile under the engine bay. All the way to the drunks drive way. All they had to do was follow the trail of red grease and body parts.
Unfortunatly it was too late in the afternoon to catch the drunk, drunk. So she got off the charges.

#6 ·
I just bought a 750 Katana for a first bike , I hate the fact that I can't keep up with most of these ssBikes , but I know I would probably be in a hospital right now if I was on a faster lighter bike .

Next year I'm getting a Busa though:D

#9 ·
A friend I think...

I have a neighbor that I regard pretty well. His main ambition in life is to own a Harley. . I offered to let him ride my ZX900 a couple months ago and he replied "your not goin kill me".

I ran too fast into a exit ramp yesterday and slid my way through it. A scary ass feeling for me.

I have always believed that some people have a latent death wish and will find a means to shorten their life.

Power can save or end your life on a Bike. Its really your choice.

#10 ·
kvpZX9R said:
brand new, belonged to a friend of mine, racing on a narrow curvey road, only had 500 miles on it and was his first bike (not too smart), couldn't take the curve and tumbled 140ft into the woods, broke both femurs, both arms, both shoulders, all ribs, had spleen removed, coma for a week or two, amputed left foot halfway down from his shin, and has spinal problems, he'll be able to walk again but it was a close one. BE CAREFUL....

Not my story just saw it and thought I'd post a link to it and the pic of the bike. Now the newbies can see why everyone says to stay the hell away from the liter bikes for a 1st ride.

This is from http://www.sportbikes.dhs.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=displayit&Picture_ID=28934
The term "wadded" comess to mind:eek:

#13 ·
Damn, talk about learning the hard way. Sorry to hear about that. Were you with him when he bought that bike. Or did he mention anything to you about wanting a R1. I'm not blaming you or anything, but someone should have steered him twards another bike.

#14 ·
ouch

RC51inJapan said:
I knew a guy in highschool that got killed while riding a 50cc scooter. No joke its true. He was ran over by a drunk driver in a 6.6 liter Trans AM.
He was dragged for over a mile under the engine bay. All the way to the drunks drive way. All they had to do was follow the trail of red grease and body parts.
Unfortunatly it was too late in the afternoon to catch the drunk, drunk. So she got off the charges.
instant house-burned down for her.

#15 · (Edited)
GIX said:
Damn, talk about learning the hard way. Sorry to hear about that. Were you with him when he bought that bike. Or did he mention anything to you about wanting a R1. I'm not blaming you or anything, but someone should have steered him twards another bike.

But the Dealer said it was a great begginer bike, Seriously, this is a good example of why graduated licensing is needed and insurance rates are ridiculous,

the stealerships should be sued over stuff like this, or at least some Dateline hidden camera thing, they don't care about riders or motorcycling and most would rather have the commision on ten grand in their pocket than sell a begginer bike for a lower one and then have a possible repeat customer for many years to come.

I went into a local kawasaki place wanting to buy a leftover 01 EX250 that was on sale, I rode in on my M750 and the saleswoman said that she wouldn't sell me the bike and that it was too slow for even her, a girl. and that it sucked and I should be buying a ZX9 or 12, I had the money for the bike in my pocket, but I left, I came back the next day and had to by the bike from a different salesperson.

here is another example of why there should be just a tad more respect for sportbikes,

http://www.sportbikes.dhs.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=displayit&Picture_ID=29404

#16 ·
I don't know why the dealership should be sued for someone being stupid... They are sales people and if they say a bike is a good beginer bike it is still the person who buys its reponsiblity to look into what he is getting. If the person buying the bike is not smart enough to know what he/she can and can't handle its not the dealers fault.

I am also the believer that it takes responibilty to ride and you can get killed on a slow ZX6 (1/4 time faster than a Zo6 vett) as you can on a R1.

I don't have a bike yet always wanted one... Waiting till I believe I am mature enough to handle something that can kill me if I don't respect it. I will get one when I stop thinking about how fast I can go on it and more about how much fun it will be just cruising around with some friends.

#17 ·
Should we sue car dealerships that sell a rich kid a new Porche 911 and they wrap themselves around a tree in the mountains? :rolleyes:

There are too damn many lawsuits in this country as it is. Let's sue the parents of teenage children that buy their kids sportbikes to ride or sportscars to drive. Hell, they drive up our insurance rates. :mad:

#19 ·
hey, heres an idea!

this may be crazy, but what if we simply let people know what theyre getting into before they buy something like that for the first time!?! how about there should be more interest in promoting warnings and enthusiasm in talking new riders into an older 600 or less? there is probably a person each day that starts a thread: "what bike to get?" it aint that hard and lawsuits aint gonna do sheeeit.

#20 ·
Re: hey, heres an idea!

dash said:
this may be crazy, but what if we simply let people know what theyre getting into before they buy something like that for the first time!?! how about there should be more interest in promoting warnings and enthusiasm in talking new riders into an older 600 or less? there is probably a person each day that starts a thread: "what bike to get?" it aint that hard and lawsuits aint gonna do sheeeit.
Be careful what you wish for.

In Europe they have a "stepped " Licensing system. The way I understand it is that, at first, you only get a license for a small c.c. bike and then you have to wait a year and pass some kind of test before you can get a license to get a bigger c.c. bike.

Maybe someone like Smitty can elaborate, but it sounds like it sucks.

#21 ·
I'm just not sure I buy the conservative "first bike" philosophies anymore; not because they're not valid, but...the problem really doesn't seem to be about the bike at all.

I have about 1300 miles or so on my TT, and had some dirt bike/mild street experience as a kid, and about a year of sportbike experience prior to the TT. But only *now* am I even coming anywhere near what I would call "pushing" both myself and the bike. Had I attempted riding in this spirited manner a few months ago, I likely would have ended up like the R1 rider. Same is true if I owned an EX500. See where I'm going here?

This isn't a motorcycle issue; it's a discipline/self-restraint/common sense issue. And many folks just don't have it.

Robert

#22 ·
Re: Re: hey, heres an idea!

desmo079 said:

Be careful what you wish for.

In Europe they have a "stepped " Licensing system. The way I understand it is that, at first, you only get a license for a small c.c. bike and then you have to wait a year and pass some kind of test before you can get a license to get a bigger c.c. bike.

Maybe someone like Smitty can elaborate, but it sounds like it sucks.
its going to come to that eventually anyway. back in the "wild west" no one really cared if you walked in a bar and shot somebody, right..? maybe today we dont care if a kid walks in a dealership and buys an r1. pretty soon the people in charge will figure it all out...
wont they?

#23 ·
Re: Re: Re: hey, heres an idea!

dash said:

its going to come to that eventually anyway. back in the "wild west" no one really cared if you walked in a bar and shot somebody, right..? maybe today we dont care if a kid walks in a dealership and buys an r1. pretty soon the people in charge will figure it all out...
wont they?
Let's hope not. This country doesn't need anymore democrats making laws protecting us from ourselves.

#24 ·
Re: Re: Re: Re: hey, heres an idea!

desmo079 said:
Let's hope not. This country doesn't need anymore democrats making laws protecting us from ourselves.
True. If all the pictures and stories aren't enough to shake some sense into people, then destiny will take it's own course. I am seeing a lot more stunting on the freeways and city streets here in the Bay Area than I've seen in a long time. I'm sure they've all seen and heard the stories, but it doesn't stop them.

#25 ·
Re: Re: Re: Re: hey, heres an idea!

desmo079 said:
im not saying i want that to happen, cuz i dont, just being realistic. personally i could give a shit less if some geek kills himself on a brand new bike. i start to give a shit when it affects my insurance or if it affects someone elses safety.
a stepped licensing system wont create more democrats either, that doesnt make any sense. that was a good sneaky way to establish your political stance though..

#26 ·
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: hey, heres an idea!

dash said:

im not saying i want that to happen, cuz i dont, just being realistic. personally i could give a shit less if some geek kills himself on a brand new bike. i start to give a shit when it affects my insurance or if it affects someone elses safety.
a stepped licensing system wont create more democrats either, that doesnt make any sense. that was a good sneaky way to establish your political stance though..
Thank you:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.