Sportbike World banner

R-750+cc's flickable?

2K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  TheToy 
#1 ·
Hi all. Im trying to get some info for next bike i buy. I want to try at least one bike that is over 600cc. Im very happy and satisfied to just stay with 600's because they are awsome in the corners. However i just have to try at least 1 big bore power wheelie suicide machine. But will they handle like a 600? (i think no) If they dont how poor are they in comparison? magazines say big bores seem wheelie prone mid corner if u dont keep eye on tach. I sat on a ZX-9 and didnt like how my knee hits the tank trying to manage the shifter. what else are negatives about the big bikes?

------------------
Keep Your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked!

#2 ·
flickable....

i don't know, r1's steers very light. gsxr's feel almost as light. they steer well.

they don't steer like an old fzr1000 (heavy).

they will go from as far as i can a full lean left to right and back well (and easily).

in otherwords, the racy liter bikes and new gsxr are pretty damn good at being tossed around.

as for mid-corner wheelies. do you mean while still turning or do you mean at exit.

there's a big difference. either way, r1's (which i still see as the king of the jungle) aren't going to do anything you don't make it do.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy

#4 ·
If you want flickable, definately check out the new Gixxer (power of the 9's, handling of the 6's). Steer clear of the 7R though, it's flickable.......just in its own way. :D

I've ridden big bore bikes (R1, 929, ZX-9R) - in general, they perform a lot like 600's.......just with more power and not quite as flickable.

------------------

#5 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheToy:
magazines say big bores seem wheelie prone mid corner if u dont keep eye on tach.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

......a sign of too much power. :D

Personally, I like smaller, higher-revving bikes. I own a 750 now, and my next bike is probably gonna be a 600.

------------------

G
#6 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spitfire:
......a sign of too much power.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or perhaps too little balls? :D

------------------
Pete
"The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of
age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers."

#8 ·
The newer 750 Plus bikes are fairly flickable.
The 929 and GSX-R are quite flickable and the
R1 is a bit heavier than the two of them but
benefits elsewhere. As far as being as
flickable as a 600, no, not quite.

Hey Pete - Your isignia - One thing wrong
with it when it comes to me - deep down some
believe and the rest KNOW!! :D :D

Chris :p :cool: :p

------------------
I've got what it takes to take what you've got.

#9 ·
to me, the r1 feels lighter than the gsxr due to the steering damper on the gsxr.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy

#10 ·
You want 600cc flickability with liter bike power? There are two choices. The 929 or the new Gixxer. The R1 has the power, but falls just short of being flickable. I have ridden both the Gixxer and the 929, and there is not much to choose from between the two in handling. The 929 has it over the Gixxer in the power dept, though not by all that much at the top end (about 8 to 10 peak rwhp), but where at absolutely slaughters the Gixxer is in the low to mid range. The 929 has gobs more power than the Gixxer, lower in the power curve where you spend 90% of your time when riding on the street. Another more expensive option would be the 996SPS, but both the 929 and the Gixxer will beat it around a track, and for less than 1/3 the price.

------------------
Rossco.

[This message has been edited by Rossco929 (edited August 22, 2000).]

#11 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rossco929:
Another more expensive option would be the 996SPS, but both the 929 and the Gixxer will beat it around a track, and for less than 1/3 the price. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not true........although it depends on the track.

If there's one thing that the 996 is good at (besides lookin' really f*ckin' cool :D ), it's racin'.

------------------

#13 ·
Originally posted by Spitfire:
Not true........although it depends on the track.

If there's one thing that the 996 is good at (besides lookin' really f*ckin' cool :D ), it's racin'.

Read the July issue of Fast Bikes. They do a comparo between the 996BP, 996SPS, GSXR, R1, RC51, 929. The Gixxer and the 929 blew them all away, including the 996SPS. The 996SPS used to be the absolute benchmark for a track bike. The mark has now been raised. It is time for Ducati to give it a few tweeks (a 20lb diet, and about 10 more rwhp should do it), as it has been the same for too many years now, and the cometition has finally passed it. Maybe next year it will be on top again, but this year it has been bumped by two bikes which, together, cost less than one 996SPS. By the way, if you want a 996 for the looks, buy the Biposto. It is much cheaper and looks identical except for the tiny SPS sticker on the tail.

------------------
Rossco.

[This message has been edited by Rossco929 (edited August 22, 2000).]

#15 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spitfire:
Hmm.......didn't see that issue. In all of the reviews I've read the Duck has beat out the competition. Doesn't matter though, they're all good bikes.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a fact!

------------------
Rossco.

#16 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rossco929:

That's a fact!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which part? The fact that I didn't see the issue; the fact that the Duck beat out the competition in all of the other reviews I've read, or the fact that all sportbikes these days kick ass?

------------------

#17 ·
I may be wrong but... I believe the 996SPS is not street legal in the US.

As mentioned though, the 996SPS has not always won in the comparos and the other 996s seldom have won against the Y2K bikes. :(

This is not a flame. The 996SPS is an awesome track weapon. It damn well should be for the price. ;)

One thing stated that is a fact, they are all awesome. :cool:

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

#18 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RCjohn:
One thing stated that is a fact, they are all awesome, except Honda's - they just flat out suck. :cool:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Couldn't have put it better myself. :D :D

------------------

#19 ·
So it seems that the Honda929 would be the way for me to go. Power down low and reasonably close cornering capability to a 600cc. Im not current in motorcycle knowledge so is the 929 the next generation of what used to be the 900RR(Fireblade)?

------------------

G
#20 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheToy:
Im not current in motorcycle knowledge so is the 929 the next generation of what used to be the 900RR(Fireblade)?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Affirmative.

------------------
Pete
"The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of
age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers."

#21 ·
Which part? The fact that I didn't see the issue; the fact that the Duck beat out the competition in all of the other reviews I've read, or the fact that all sportbikes these days kick ass?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The last one. I am sure the other two are also true, but I only know the last one to be fact.

------------------
Rossco.

[This message has been edited by Rossco929 (edited August 23, 2000).]

#22 ·
So it seems that the Honda929 would be the way for me to go.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is what I think but, then again, I am biased. My advice would be to ride the 929, R1, and the new Gixxer, and see which one you like better. The other thing I would do (if you are not in a rush to change bikes) is wait for the 2001 GSXR-1000 (or whatever displacement it ends up being). It might be well worth the wait, but it will still be a Suzuki, and we all know that Hondas are the best.

------------------
Rossco.

#23 ·
Thanks for the info Roscco929. I definitly believe honda is the best. And from what i've heard the 929 is the way i will go. Im not buying anything this year. Maybe to end of 2001 and for sure start of 2002 i will trade in the R6 I got. I just want some early ideas on what bikes are like nowadays. Im going to start reading the magazines again and watching the T.V shows to get more updated. But when push comes to shove and all the bikes seem evenly matched. I will 4 sure go back to honda. I liked my 95F3 more than this R6 i got.

------------------

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.