Sportbike World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do such things exist? What are the quietest helmets, and do the manufacturers or any other organizations actually publish noise levels/rating to an established standard/testing protocol? When I replace my CL-11, I want something QUIET!!!

Grace and peace,
BD

------------------
"It came to pass..."

P

·
0 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by motociclista:
Snip...Most importantly, look for lots of cushy padding inside and especially around the neck area, which will keep noise from entering from what is really the only opening once the helmet is one and the visor shut.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't forget about the air vents. Typically, the better ventilation a helmet has, the more noisier it is.

------------------
Pete
Email: [email protected]

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Unless you wear earplugs, wind noise will make you deaf no matter which helmet you wear.

------------------
'98 Superhawk

·
Premium Member
4,762 Posts
BD,

If you do not want to wear earplugs the quiest helmet I have ever owned is my current Shoei RF800

------------------
Robert Basil
It ain't easy being green - Kermit the frog
But it sure is fun! - Robert Basil

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've never seen ratings of noise levels in helmets but I can tell you from personal experience there is a HUGE difference between models. My AGV Q3 is the quietest I've worn.

Look for a tight seal around the visor and a visor that fits flush to the surface of the helmet at the hinge points instead of having plates that protrude into the wind right near your ears. Most importantly, look for lots of cushy padding inside and especially around the neck area, which will keep noise from entering from what is really the only opening once the helmet is one and the visor shut.

------------------

·
Registered
560 Posts
I've heard rave reviews about the Shoei RF800 and I am very pleased with my Arai Quantum.

However, I don't have good hearing.

------------------
Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've had a few different helmets, and my RF-800's are the quietest I've ever had. Between my wife and I we currently have 4 RF-800's.

------------------
Tony Anderson
Blue '99 ZX9R

[This message has been edited by goforlow (edited June 14, 2000).]

·
Registered
30 Posts
One way to make a helmet quieter is by adjusting the visor. The visor can be adjusted by removing it and loosening the screws where the visor meets the helmet and adjusting the receiver. It takes a little playing but you will want the visor as close to the helmet as possible so the it still opens without catching on the air vent.

There was a thread earlier about weather or not to wear ear plugs. Bottom line is you should always wear ear plugs or slowly loose your hearing. Trust me on this one.

As for which helmets are the most quiet, all helmets fit differently and the better the fit the less noise. As far as accessories go a good helmet is a must (dont think you have to spend $400-$500 on a race replica but somthing around $195-$250 is a good ballpark).

------------------
Dave

600 Bandit

J

·
0 Posts
I have only ridden with HJC and my current Shoei RF800. No contest between the two although I've been told that the HJC have improved greatly.

My best friend has owned AGV, Shoie, and Arai. He has ranked the from quietest to loudest -- Shoei-Arai-AGV. He prefers the fit of the Arai and AGV and says the Shoei is not bad. He said the Shoei is definitly quieter.

Ride Hard!

John

------------------

·
Registered
873 Posts
MY HJC IS SO QUIET IT HASNT DAMAGED MY HEARING ONE BIT.. I SAID MY HJC IS SO QUIET IT HASNT DAMAGED MY HEARING ONE BIT.

WHAT??

I SAID MY HJC IS SO QUIET IT HASNT DAMAGED MY HEARING ONE BIT!!!!

HUH?

OH NEVERMIND!

:(

I am hoping my AGV is better.

------------------
Fear Green.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have owned 4 helmets a hjc(cl-12),shoei (rf-800 manako)which I even crash tested for you :rolleyes: after which I bought another rf-800 picotte and I now wear a arai sakata.

The rf-800 is the most quiet of the 3 brands but I like the arai for the better fit and more comfort.

------------------
Chris Blackman
If it is GREEN it has to be better!
www.memphissportbikes.com

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have found that my cheap HJC is much quieter than my Arai Quantum, but the Arai has much better ventilation. Just for kicks I tried the Bell racing helmet I have and it is about the same as the Arai.

------------------

·
Registered
74 Posts
My Shoei RF 800 is the most quiet helmet out there! ITs's great. Wind noise is un avoidable, but wear some plugs in your ear's and you wont hear anything but a mumble when you talk to someone at a stop light :D

Ive heard Arai's are kinda noisy due to their vents on the front for the inner changeable visor....shoei has wrap around visors :)

Tiff

------------------
"It only counts on a racetrack... and the road ain't one"
See my website: www.sportbikegirl.com

·
Registered
206 Posts
I hear the Shoei X-SP is the quietest you can get, if you don't mind spending the money. It is also vented better than the RF-800. When I used to own an X-8 it ws quieter than my RF-800, but they replaced them with the more expensive X-SP. :(

------------------
Colin
FloridaSportbikers
My Home Page

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just another datapoint... My first helmet was a Bieffe B-8, and it was every bit as quiet as you would expect an $80 helmet to be :)

My new helmet (the Nolan N-100 clamshell) is about twice as quiet, and cost twice as much, and neither could compare to a good set of 79 cent earplugs.

But heck, my stock 89 radian standard bike barely makes enough noise to bother anybody in the first place...

------------------
"The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to eventually close it again on something solid" (GK Chesterton)

·
Registered
367 Posts
I,too, have an HJC and it's very loud. The visor does not stay closed at anything above 50 mph. I have been checking out the Arai and Shoei helmets too. The HJC cushion is not as cushy as when bought just 6 months ago. I do wear my helmet everyday and I do not want to be buying helmets every 6 months. The Arai has removeable cushions that can be replaced. The Shoei is less expensive. You make the call :)

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600
39 speeding tickets and now I have a V1.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
My HJC CL-12 is noisy, a fair trade-off for lots of vents. I have no problem with the shield opening by itself at any speed (well, up to 160 anyway). I have found it difficult to get the shield locked into place after removing/replacing it- this could be your problem Todd. Mine has about 15K miles on it, the liner and everything else are in great shape. You're supposed to replace your helmet every few years because of the breakdown of the inner EPS liner anyway, and I'd rather spend $150 than $400+

------------------
Heeeere piggy piggy...

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tristan:
Unless you wear earplugs, wind noise will make you deaf no matter which helmet you wear.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tristan nailed it (and I'm not talkin' pigs). Regardless of which helmet you wear, it's not quiet enough to prevent hearing loss. Find the helmet that fits you best, and fork out the *Washington* for a set of ear plugs. A couple of years down the road, you'll be thankful you did. I SAID, YOU'LL BE THANKFUL YOU DID!

I once offered a set to a guy on a twin, and he declined them saying that he couldn't hear the rumble of his pipes (cuz' twins are supposed to make yer ears bleed!).

I didn't wear ear plugs for a long time, and now I have to ride around with a 'hearing ear dog.' It's not so bad until that bastard starts chasing cars! :D

------------------
-Paul
If God dropped acid, would he see people?

·
Registered
192 Posts
My Shoei RF-R is pretty quiet, though I have noticed that it has gotten louder since I put the windshield on my ZR. That does tend to generate a lot of noise. Of course if I am going further than down the block I'll put in my Hearos earplugs. Those make a huge difference, no matter which helmet you have.

------------------
Richard M. Poniarski
'00 Kawasaki ZR750F2, a.k.a. ZR-7
AMA #674623
NY S666C
ZR7OA #3

1 - 19 of 19 Posts