Sportbike World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd ask, I am currently 16 and will be turning 17 in July in which I plan to already have my license via the MSF course. I plan on buying a decent helmet, gloves, and a textile w/ armor jacket (joe rocket) and I will be riding a Ninja 250r.

I really only plan on riding it to school etc. with the average speed limit ranging from 45-60. I consider myself an Intelligent rider and I will ride safely (I also will not be riding for extended periods of time in the first few months)

Traffic in my area isn't to bad, although I will probably be lane-splitting a bit once I get enough confidence and expirience. I'll do this under 30 mph because traffic can get a little congested at times and I've heard sitting in stop/go traffic is more dangerous than lanesplitting as long as you are aware and careful.

Based on the above do you guys think I'd be ok? I'm not afraid of crashing or anything I just thought I'd ask you guys on your opinions on my situation and if you have any tips or advice to give to a future rider it would be appriciated.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
If everything goes as you've planned (which isn't always the case!), you should be just fine.

As far as newbie advice, there is TONS of information on that topic on this boards Stickies.

Welcome and good luck to you! :cheers:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I will let the others say, BUT I did copy some lines that sort of cought my attention being :
"--I really only plan on riding it to school etc. with the average speed limit ranging from 45-60. I consider myself an Intelligent rider and I will ride safely (I also will not be riding for extended periods of time in the first few months)

Traffic in my area isn't to bad, although I will probably be lane-splitting a bit once I get enough confidence and expirience. I'll do this under 30 mph because traffic can get a little congested at times and I've heard sitting in stop/go traffic is more dangerous than lanesplitting as long as you are aware and careful.

Based on the above do you guys think I'd be ok? I'm not afraid of crashing or anything --"

I did not think lane splitting was legal in your State, & though intent was to travel 45-60mph the bit obout not being frightened of crashing or anything did stand out strongly. I take it you know what the pavement is like when you come off your bike at said 30 to 45-60mph not to mention the possible damage of your bike, but then it is only metal & not human?

Could you be basing your knowledge on crashes of road racers in the TV or video?

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Smitty's right about lane splitting, the only state I've ever read where its not outright illegal is California. You may see people do it, but that doesn't mean its not against the law.

Welcome :cheers:

·
Banned
93 Posts
SilentSilver if you use your bike and do stupid shit things, stupid shit things will happen to you!

Ride safe and don't show off while riding the bike.

I live in Florida, the others who made comments about lane splitting in Florida do not.
SilentSilver lane splitting is a dumbass thing to do in Florida and it will get you a ticket. [SIZE=-1]Capiche![/SIZE]

·
Registered
369 Posts
I don't want to jack this thread into a lane splitting one, but tickets notwithstanding, it's probably not a great idea to lane split in a state where it is illegal, for no other reason than drivers don't expect it. I do it, but I live in California, and drivers are used to it. When I'm in another state I don't.

There are, however, a few states that allow lane filtering, which is slightly different - this is where you ride in between the lanes past stopped traffic at an intersection. I don't think you can do that in Florida either.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Finally! I can post again! (havent been able to since they changed the site)

Now about lane splitting....When i was in cali i did it all the time because the traffic there is so shitty its pretty much stop and go on most hiways and thats when i did it. doing it while traffic is moving isn't the smartest thing to do. I have also heard of lane filtering but dont know where it is legal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for yall's responses. I had no idea that it was illegal, in the area I live I see people doing it all the time. They seem to do it at red lights, they just ride all the way up to the front at a red light and then gun it in front of everybody when it turns green.

-Thanks for the heads up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts