Sportbike World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, this may sound like a completely stupid question, but I am going to ask anyway.

When you are leaving a left hand drive country, and entering a right hand drive country... How do you change lanes / How do the roads change to accommodate? I realize there may or may not be customs check points or what not, but I am too tired, and I still cannot picture how it would be done.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
I'm thinking that the only time you might see that is from India (not in Europe) to a neighboring country. England is water-locked so that's a non-issue. All the Scandanavians and I thought all the central Europeans were right-handed but it has been a somewhat long while since I traveled the continent. A quick view of Wikipedia proves me correct about Europe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Countries_driving_on_the_left_or_right.svg

·
Registered
14 Posts
As Kanwisch has stated, all of mainland Europe, including Scandinavia, is LHD (same as you guys). Great Britain and the Republic of Ireland are all RHD but, as you have to either get a ferry or car train to get here, there is no having to swap lanes at the border etc. Most of Europe is now part of the European Union (EU), which is kind of like the USA but with lots of countries instead of states and different languages in each one. This means that there are no border crossings/guards/machine guns/big dogs etc. now between any of the member nations. The EU has been very good at standardising most road signs and markings, even the driving licences across the EU have been standardised. The only difference being the individual countries have them printed in their relevant language.

So, if you're thinking of a trip to Europe you only get your passport stamped at point of entry into the EU, not each individual country as used to be the case.

Hope my rambling helped answer your question.

Phil

1 - 4 of 4 Posts