Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cousin is about to purchase a sport bike. I found a '93 Mint Condition Kawasaki Ninja ZX6D for him with under 5,000 miles. The owner wants $4000 for it and it is like brand new.

My question is: What is a ZX6D? What is it compared to a ZX6E? I need every detail you can come up with so I know what the difference is between that and the rest (ZX6r and so on...)

Thanx in advance for your help.

------------------
~Nick
2000 CBR600F4
Piped, Jetted, totally trick...
Keep the Rubber side down
my Bruthas AND Sistas!!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
A ZX6D is pretty much the same bike as the ZX6E. The only thing I can think of is that the ZX6E has ram-air and the D does not.

------------------

C

·
0 Posts
Sorry, I'm just here in case you guys try to attack Nick. I'm watchin' ya. ;)

------------------
Ride Hard!

John

·
Registered
873 Posts
Nick, i think that price is a bit high for a D model. You can find ZX7's for $4000. The E model is the souped up RAM air version of the D model, and the R model is the serious race 600 that was introduced in 1995. The D and E models were bigger, fatter and heavier than the R models, but are better suited for daily rides and road trips than the R model, which is a balls out racer bike.

If you can find an E model i would suggest going that route, or getting a bike like the FZR or a plain ZX7, much better value in the ZX7's

------------------
Fear Green.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help so far...! Does anyone have or know where I can get pics of these particular bikes in this particular year? If so, I'd appreciate the added help. I LOVE this site!!! You guys rule...! :D :D

------------------
~Nick
2000 CBR600F4
Piped, Jetted, totally trick...
Keep the Rubber side down
my Bruthas AND Sistas!!!

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
i could be wrong, but i'm 95% certain that the one hole under the headlight on the zx6d is for ram air (not just fresh air). the e model has two and it is ram air for sure. kawi's been doing ram air for a long time. the e model debuted in 93 or so and i think they had ram air 600's in 91 or 92, but my memory ain't so good.

the c model, which is also similair has no ram air.

there are difference between them, i don't recall them. like minor things. some power increases, i think the e model has better suspension pieces. i wanna cartidge forks on the e. but i'm no kawi expert.

------------------
Tony

00 GSX-R750-yellow & black
88 FZR400-krylon black
94 CBR600F2--sold

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Felt like I was drowining in a bowl of alphabet soup... :D

I own one and I don't know the differences...All I know is I really like my 99' 6e...and yeah its a little more comfy than a 6R or an F4, but I think with the right rider it could hold its own....

Will

------------------
Will Darton
Sportbikeworld Co-Admin
http://azsportbike.net
<A HREF="http://redninja.sportbikeworld.com" TARGET=_blank>
http://redninja.sportbikeworld.com</A>
99ZX-6e

·
Registered
873 Posts
No ram on D model, im pretty sure they had a regular airbox. Its like the ZX11D and E. the 11D had no ram air at all. The 11E had the same system as the 6E for RAM air. pressurizing both the float bowls AND the airbox. The difference on the ZX11 was very noticable!

All the 6R's 7R's 9R's and 12R's have the same functionality in thier ram air. Although there are some differences in the route the air take to get to its destination.

The ZX6A,B and C models (ancient!!) were nothing at all like the D and E (and R) models. Im sure they didnt have any form of ram air either.

------------------
Fear Green.

[This message has been edited by GreenNinja (edited June 30, 2000).]

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use to have a 93 ZX6D and it had no ram air
either way $4000 is alot for it. I paid $2200 two years ago for mine and it was in mint condition and it had 8000 miles on it.
If you plan to ride hard at all this bike isn't what you want. This was the first bike I ever rode and I outgrew it very quick. I would look for something better for $4000.

------------------

·
Registered
525 Posts
Don't know about the abce thing, but 4k is too much for that bike. People are selling 95-97 6R's for 4K-5K.

------------------

·
Registered
873 Posts
I would offer the guy $2900 cash. Several reasons. It is old, 1993, it has no ram air, it is anything BUT a finely tuned sportbike, it is big, it is fat, it is heavy, it is underpowered, the 6E and definately the 6R are just so much better. Hell id rather have a 600R Ninja than a 6D!!!! Much more soul.

------------------
Fear Green.

·
Registered
206 Posts
With a '99 ZX6R for sale in the local paper here for $5000. I'd say that $4000 for a '93 ZX6D is way to much. One thing I have noticed alot lately is that everyone seems to think their bike is worth it's weight in gold. My wife's car goes for $18,000 new, and it is a '93, book on it now is $3400. Would you want to pay more for a bike that is way behind technology wise, I think not.

------------------
Colin
FloridaSportbikers
My Home Page

·
Registered
873 Posts
Just for reference, i paid $3000 cash for my 95 6E all stock with only 5000 miles on it. Book value is $4300 for my bike in the condition i got it in. Phoenix, AZ is a buyers market.

I now have more than $7000 invested in this bike and TO ME it is worth its wieght in Gold, but realistically it is always a losing proposition.

I have it for sale for $5600 which is still a great deal for MY 6E but i honestly doubt i will find a buyer at that price. Lucky for me i dont NEED to sell it, so if i dont ill just keep it.

------------------
Fear Green.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just bought a '6D, with a recently replaced engine. Used to have the a 600R. The D is way heavier, and was (I think) the precursor to the ZZR. Kawa keeps telling me that its parts and the ZZR's parts are often the same.

It moves though, and for the long haul, its a lot of fun. But weighs about 50lbs too much...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I used to have a ZX-6D, which I sold a while ago for $3700. It was very reliable and I never had any problems with it. It was kind of a strange sportbike: Touring ergonomics and racebike engine.
The engine has very little power until8000 rpm (this is with full pipe, jet kit, valve job, ignition advancer and aftermarket filter.) Then it just screamed up to the 14,000 redline. The D has no ram-air, the E does. One of the other things is the reduction of drivetrain lash in the E(The D was terrible in this aspect and I replaced the cush drive with blocks of aluminum, which helped out a little). I'd offer the seller 3500 if the bike is in perfect shape. Also plan on spending a few dollars in the suspension If the bike is going to be used to run with other, newer 600s and 750s.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts