Sportbike World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a bike and I found a 93 honda cbr f2 with 14,000 miles. Do you think there are too many miles on it?

·
Registered
72 Posts
14K miles is really nothing. It's always a good idea to ask to see records if the current owner has owned the bike for quite some time, and that will give you a good idea of how careful the bike has been cared for recently.

HTH,

TR

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Log Books required on all m/cs old or new.

Milage is low. Pity most riders of new m/cs do not keep a log book on their bike & an issue of a m/c test on that very bike. I have a log book on an '87 TZR-250 along with a m/c test of the bike that year. Both will jive up the selling of the bike. So this is a tip to those with new bike OR a 'used' bike.
Simply use a normal 3-leaf folder book. Date make, model, year, colours etc & cost.
Put down lst day the bike was ridden, milage at the start finish, fuel put in it, trip meter & any info on the bike like lubed chain, etc.
From then on it is simply put in the date the bike was refuled, amount of fuel, trip meter & that might be all.
Possibly next recording will be date, milage & possibly all one did was wash & wax the bike or it could be where one noted a scratch on the fairing, or possibly it was a search for a rattle & how it was spotted to being corrected.
I was forced into this as I was racing 'factory' bikes & suddenly realized a simpler version could be set up for my personal bikes & so did the latter in early 50s & ever since.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Sometimes when I see a bike for sale with a good chunk of miles on it, I feel as though that person was a rider and not someone who bought it; put 3000k wheelie/drag racing miles on it in a summer; then sells it the next summer.

If they have some maintenence history and the bike is in good shape, I think higher mileage bikes aren't bad. At least you know they acutally RODE it to find the twisites. Not 10-20 wheelie ridden miles per day.

....of course, I could be wrong; there are exceptions to that theory. Like if they guy has Trophies in his garage from Stunt/Wheelie contests; or Trophies for "Longest Burnout", or "longest sustained redline".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts