Sportbike World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 zx-9r and the manual states that I can wash and re-install my air filter. In the step described as Element cleaning it states : Clean the element in a bath of a high flash-point solvent.

It then goes on to say, dry it then saturate in oil 10W40 SAE etc and squeeze out then install back on the bike.

Now my question is, what is this high flash-point solvent? Any name brands I should be looking for? I called CW and the guy said that he has K&N filter cleaner solution. Is this a suitable substitute?

A response on this would be appreciated since I don't want my 9R to have trouble breathing. I might need a NO2 inhaler if I don't get this done soon! :)

------------------
--------------
DE
2000 ZX-9R Mica Black
1989 ZX600R Black

·
Registered
47 Posts
high flash point solvent sounds like kersene to me. I wouldn't worry about the brand too much but some people prefer BP or shell over what you would get at swifty.

I've never heard of an air filter that you used a solvent to clean. We always cleaned our foam filters in our dirtbikes with soap and water and then oiled them with air filter oil. The K&N stuff only works good on a K&N filter (gauze type).

What type of filter is it?

Luke

------------------

·
Registered
328 Posts
If it says to use solvent, then it's got to be a foam filter... right?

In that case, you could just use some Simple Green diluted in a bucket of water to clean it. Then, after it's completely dry, use foam-filter oil, available at any bike shop.

As Troublemaker stated, don't use K&N oil on a foam filter.

------------------
A fool and his money are soon partying.

[This message has been edited by AZ Scott (edited July 18, 2000).]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not removed the filter yet but in the manual it looks like a white foam filter.

Thanks for the info guys.

------------------
--------------
DE
2000 ZX-9R Mica Black
1989 ZX600R Black

S

·
0 Posts
WASSSUPPPPIIIIIII!!!!

Hey man nice bike(s),

If you are really picky,then go and buy a K&N filter cleaner kit! Its got the oil and those cleaner High Octane solvent things and stuff!

------------------
Hello I ride a motorcycle, please cut me off!

·
Registered
47 Posts
OK, I remember now, you can use K&N oil on a foam filter, but the cleaner is useless for a foam filter. You can not use regular foam filter oil on a K&N filter. Soap and water is the best thing to clean a foam filter.

Luke

------------------

S

·
0 Posts
I use palmolive, Its soft on hands!

------------------
Hello I ride a motorcycle, please cut me off!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Whatever you do don't use regular engine oil , like the manual says , to oil the foam filter. As stated above go to a bike shop and purchase some foam filter oil.

------------------

1 - 8 of 8 Posts