Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi all,

i have a question about the CA model bikes.
are all bikes sold in CA different from bikes sold in other states?
and is it possible to register a bike in CA if the bike is a 49-state bike?
i'm asking this cuz i'm looking to buy a bike but it seems like not many people sell bikes in CA especially in L.A.

·
Registered
515 Posts
in the last year or so, all bikes are the

same(meaning they all meet calif.standards(smog)) earlier bikes(calif) had some smog crap and differant cams..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, i'm looking at the 2002 suzuki catalog and CA model bikes have different weight, so they're not the same.

·
Registered
20 Posts
beksa said:

and is it possible to register a bike in CA if the bike is a 49-state bike?
i'm asking this cuz i'm looking to buy a bike but it seems like not many people sell bikes in CA especially in L.A.
You can register a 49 state bike in CA, however you cannot buy 49 state bike in CA:mad: I least this is what I have been told.

·
Registered
530 Posts
THEY ARE NOT THE SAME!

Here is how:

KAWASAKI ZX6R -
Igniter (CDI)
Carbs
Jetting
Carb Solenoids
Filter Components

YAMAHA YZF-R6 -
Igniter (CDI)
Air Box Lowers

Yes, the emissions standards may be the same to some degree. But mechanically, the machines have varying parts from CA to US/CANADA!

Hope This Helps! :thumb:

Johnny
Team No Limit Racing &#169 1996-2002
http://www.teamnolimitracing.com

·
Registered
86 Posts
CA bikes = inferior

Jammin_Johnny said:
THEY ARE NOT THE SAME!

Here is how:

KAWASAKI ZX6R -
Igniter (CDI)
Carbs
Jetting
Carb Solenoids
Filter Components

YAMAHA YZF-R6 -
Igniter (CDI)
Air Box Lowers

Yes, the emissions standards may be the same to some degree. But mechanically, the machines have varying parts from CA to US/CANADA!

CA has stricter emissions than the other 49, so a CA bike could be registered in AZ without problem, but an AZ bike cannot be reg'd in CA without getting the environmental sticker (extra charge) unless the mfr certified the bike meets CA standards. I think the muffler has an extra catalytic converter in CA bikes (heavier/more restricted), in addition to the electronics being slightly different to reduce emissions, in addition to the parts above (apparently...).

Check out the dyno charts to see how the CA mods affect performance: http://www.factorypro.com/

·
Registered
269 Posts
i got a good one:
why is all the cereal made in CA?

...cuz thats where all the fruits, nuts, and flakes come from.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Many bike models have different parts (extra emission controls) in CA. Now that most car manufacturers have figured out how to make 50 state cars, the governor just signed a bill the ratchets up CA's emission standards starting in 2006 or 2008 or something. We get to "lead" the nation once again.:(

Let the whining begin.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanx for your replies.
i guess i cant buy any bikes out of state. :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
INTRODUCTION
The rules for registering new vehicles in California are different for California residents and for people moving to California from other states.

In other words, in order to prevent California residents from buying a NEW motorcycle in another state or country and then importing it into California thereby bypassing the more expensive and stricter emissions required by California, the state says you must have at least have 7,500 miles on the bike to bring it in.

Exceptions are made if you acquire a vehicle through a transfer by inheritance or by a decree of divorce. Also, the bar to registration would not appy if your vehicle was damaged or stolen while out of California and you had to replace that vehicle while out of California.

These rules clearly amount to selective enforcement and an injustice perpetrated upon California residents that probably would not pass muster in a class action suit or civil claim against the DMV. You could appeal to the DMV asking for logic in the matter and request a waiver citing selective enforcement.

IMPORTING MOTORCYCLES FROM OTHER STATES BY CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
Individuals are prohibited from importing, purchasing, or leasing a new vehicle from another state, unless the vehicle was manufactured for sale in California, and the EPA label certifies the vehicle has California smog equipment. California considers a new vehicle to be any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE.

In other words, in order to prevent California residents from buying a NEW motorcycle in another state or country and then importing it into California thereby bypassing the more expensive and stricter emissions (read lower performance models) required by California, the state says you must have at least have 7,500 miles on the bike to bring it in.

The 7,500 mile requirement is ONLY for vehicles that don't meet the California emissions requirements. There is no 7,500 mile minimum requirement for motorcycles that have a manufacturer’s sticker indicating that they comply with California standards.

The odometer statement on the title or bill of sale should exceed 7,500 miles. The California DMV wants the mileage to be over 7,500 miles at the time it enters the state. They check the odometer reading against the odometer statement on the title and/or bill of sale. They consider the date of the sale (i.e. when you take ownership) as the time the bike "enters the state". If your bike was purchased and documented with 3,000 miles, and you try to bring it in with an odometer reading 7,500+ miles, you’ve got a problem.

When you attempt to register the bike for the first time the emissions label is inspected at the Department of Motor Vehicles to determine what standards the bike meets, and the odometer reading taken. The DMV doesn’t visually check that the California emissions equipment is actually installed, so swapping parts with a California-certified bike to obtain the manufacturer’s emissions sticker could be a work-around (depending where on the bike the sticker is mounted). There is no emissions testing of motorcycles in California.

·
Premium Member
4,762 Posts
I'll be moving to California in a little over a month and my bike has over 7,500 miles on it. (I bought it new in AZ) so I am assuming that I'll be able to register it in California with no problem?

·
Premium Member
7,434 Posts
Robert said:
I'll be moving to California in a little over a month and my bike has over 7,500 miles on it. (I bought it new in AZ) so I am assuming that I'll be able to register it in California with no problem?
You'll be fine. I didn't have too much trouble registering an F4 I bought in Indiana out here. No emissions test, just an inspection of VIN#'s to make sure it wasn't stolen. It would have been really easy had the inspector had legible handwriting and filled out the form correctly the first time.

I'm probably opening up a whole can of worms I don't want to, but is it too much to ask that people in the US can speak and write the language? Especially if their job requires them to do so? I'm all for people wanting to come here and make a better life for themselves, but go through the proper channels and at least attempt to learn the language and culture.

·
Registered
25 Posts
IMPORTING MOTORCYCLES FROM OTHER STATES BY NEW CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
Non-resident motorcycle owners (recent arrivals) must register their out-of-state bikes in California within 20 days of the date they accept employment or establish residency in California. Special rules apply for people in the Armed Forces.

In order to register your motorcycle you will need to:

(1) Complete an Application for Registration Form Reg 343/31 available from http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg343.pdf

(2) Submit your out-of-state registration certificate.

(3) Submit your out-of-state title if you have it.

(4) Provide an odometer mileage certification if your bike is less than 10 years old.

(5) Bring your vehicle to a DMV office for verification of the vehicle identification numbers. Set up an appointment ahead of time if you want. The DMV agent visually checks both the VIN and the engine number on motorcycles.
If the numbers don't match the out-of-state title and/or registration you could have a serious administrative hassle to get it permanently registered. If necessary, you pay your fee, get a temporary registration, and get sent to the California Highway Patrol for a more detailed inspection and resolution of the issue.

(6) Proof of insurance (from your CA insurance company)

(7) Pay the registration and license fees. You have to pay a California Vehicle License Fee on the (declared market value, so try to save yourself some money here) value of the bike and a registration fee ($32). The Vehicle License Fee (VLF) is the portion of the registration renewal fees paid in lieu of personal property taxes.

That’s it. Also, note that California motorcycles (unlike cars and trucks) do not have to be smogged (inspected for tailpipe emissions).

For more information see:http://www.dmv.ca.gov/newtoca/newtoca.htm

Don’t forget you also need to get a California motorcycle license so you need to bring your birth certificate (post 9/11).

·
Premium Member
7,434 Posts
Shazaam! said:
IMPORTING MOTORCYCLES FROM OTHER STATES BY NEW CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
Non-resident motorcycle owners (recent arrivals) must register their out-of-state bikes in California within 20 days of the date they accept employment or establish residency in California. Special rules apply for people in the Armed Forces.

(5) Bring your vehicle to a DMV office for verification of the vehicle identification numbers. Set up an appointment ahead of time if you want.
I don't know about the Armed Forces part of it, but I registered mine about 7 months after getting here. I just told them I came out for work and brought everything at a later date. So if you don't have a chance to get there right away, its not (or wasn't for me) a problem.

As far as making an appointment, I would definitely say make one. Out here there are SO many people that it doesn't matter what day or time you go, you will wait forever if you don't have an appointment. Other that that, those Cali DMV sites Shazaam! posted were the ones I used. It was really a pretty quick and painless process. It costed me right around $100 for the whole thing I think. Good luck!

·
Registered
269 Posts
spicersh said:

It would have been really easy had the inspector had legible handwriting and filled out the form correctly the first time.

I'm probably opening up a whole can of worms I don't want to, but is it too much to ask that people in the US can speak and write the language? Especially if their job requires them to do so? I'm all for people wanting to come here and make a better life for themselves, but go through the proper channels and at least attempt to learn the language and culture.
can of worms? more like Ford Galaxy trunk-full of mexicans.

·
Some days are like this.
3,132 Posts
Okay, I don't know what spicersh is whining about... I'm the one that stood in line an additional 2 TIMES at the DMV to get the *&%$# F4 registered (he's doing the car, I'm through!).

He took it initially, they did the inspection, took all the paperwork and issued him plates and stickers on the spot :thumb:, then sent a letter a week later : "Ooops, we screwed up on your inspection, can you bring the bike back?" Yeah, NO. I went back, argued with them, they fixed the paperwork. Week later we get another letter: Oooops, we screwed up again, we need you to come back and provide your IN registration card. :finger: (and every time they realized they goofed, they invalidated the plates on the bike) :finger: Like I had nothing better to do on my lunch hour than be ogled by creepy people that hadn't bathed in a year... ugh.

My advice: if you're bringing in your bike with over 7500 miles on it, bring EVERY piece of paper that is pertinent to your bike.

- Proof of insurance (in CA)
- Registration card from state you last had it registered in
- Title (if you have it)
- etc
- etc
- Firstborn child
- Blood sample

(just kidding on the last two, but it sure feels like it!)

yeah, Cali sucks law-wise. The DMV got nailed a few years ago for charging new arrivals to the state $400 per car for smog fees. People got pissed, sued and DMV had to refund the money - but you had to ask for it and provide proof you paid it in the first place. Nice, huh? :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
7,434 Posts
spicerke said:
Okay, I don't know what spicersh is whining about... I'm the one that stood in line an additional 2 TIMES at the DMV to get the *&%$# F4 registered (he's doing the car, I'm through!).
Well, like I said, I didn't have much trouble registering it....:twofinger

·
Some days are like this.
3,132 Posts
yeah, yeah, yeah... step into my office...

because you're :finger: F***ING FIRED!

:D

Like I said...

you're registering that damn truck.

·
Registered
269 Posts
ok ok...

you two get a counselor and keep the domestic violence in Antich, ok?

·
Premium Member
7,434 Posts
Re: ok ok...

dash said:
you two get a counselor and keep the domestic violence in Antich, ok?

ROTFLMAO!!!

Would you believe we are getting married in 9 days!!:D :D

Most people tell us we sound like we've been married for 10 years!:twofinger

1 - 20 of 32 Posts