Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, a little over 2 weeks ago I wrecked and I got some pretty bad road rash, most of it has healed but my left side is still swollen. It almost looks like a bone is sticking out of my side, and my side is numb as well. The doctor told me the day after I wrecked it was just bruised and swollen, but it has barely went down since the day I wrecked. Should I go back and get this checked out? I was going about 60 when I crashed and I landed on my side pretty hard, so is it normal for something like that to take a while to go down in swelling?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi purdue1719-

Could be edema that just hasn't been reabsorbed yet. Perhaps you should consider a follow-up visit with the physician? Taking a chance on injuries that aren't healing correctly just isn't worth the long-term risk to your health.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Yuppers, go see the doc.

·
Registered
217 Posts
could be an infection....def go get it checked out....just isnt worth the risk

·
Registered
295 Posts
tru im assuming he had a helmet on but what if he just had like a hoodie or somthing ya know, thats all just wondering and then if he was im just wondering what gear he had and what his thoughts on it were etc

·
Registered
515 Posts
well, I hope you were wearing the gear shown in your new riders' post. By side, did you mean side of your chest? you may have broken some ribs, but as long as you're not having problems breathing it will just take a while to heal.

You know your body best, so if something still feels uncomfortably wrong, go see a doctor immediately. I'd hate to say it but MDs are humans too and things can be overlooked, so getting things double checked, especially when it doesn't feel right is not a bad idea.

edit: unless you don't have insurance, then you may have to suck it up a bit :twofinger get better soon man.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
if the area is still swollen, then your body is not removing the excess body fluids in that area. Mainly joints have problems when swelling. Taking advil will help, but if you seen no change, go see a doctor. They may prescribe nabumetone tablets. I'd also suggest taking either vitamin E or anti-oxidents for boosting the immune system. Get enough sleep and eat proper.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
for those wondering about the crash itself, check out this post http://sbw.sportbikes.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58654 this was the thread i made right after i crashed....i was wearing a helmet but other than that, jeans and a polo, so i got pretty ripped up....pretty lucky only being sore and nothing broken for going that fast tho, my shoulder is still sore, but i already had x-rays and nothings broken and its a million times better than it was right after i crashed....my side did go down some, but my next day off is monday and if its not gone by then im gonna go in. thanks for the tips though

·
Registered
423 Posts
Why are you asking a bunch of sportbike riders this question?? Get your butt to the doctor man! If its nothing you only wasted a few hours of your life but you'll have the piece of mind that a qualified professional told ya.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Hope you have followed the advise of the others & seen a doctor. After all we are just m/c riders with limited experience & yes even our advise can be with errors in it.

Though speaking from 60 yrs of riding experience along with 42 yrs of tough dirt comp--------you deal with the provessional DOCTOR.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im going tommorow morning, my manager at work saw it today and said hes not going to let me work anymore until i go get it checked out

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
after i cleaned the dirt and stuff off of it, it looks a lot better than me and my friends thought it was....only the engine cover and gasket broke which is already replaced, the left handlebar got knocked over a little but thats being fixed, no big deal with that...and just the plastic, turn signals, and mirros....the plastic isn't that bad, im going to eventually replace the side fairing, but the back me and my friend are going to sand down and paint b/c we know this guy that does car painting and he is willing to do it for free for us. The turnsignals don't matter b/c I was already replacing them, I have flushmount for front and back now. The front fender is cracked and the front fairing is cracked, which I plan on just saving up and fixing. I don't care too much right now, it's just when I want to sell it. I'm not even going to fix the plastic at all until the winter in case I drop it again and then I'll just claim it on my insurance and get it all replaced. So for a 60 mph crash, I got pretty lucky, the bike skidded off the road into a ditch pretty quickly, I stayed on the road however. The bike landed in a like 4 foot deep ditch, luckily it landed wheels first b/c it had to hit that going at least 30 or so because the tires where imbedded in the ditch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts