Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday afternoon, an older guy in a shop commented on my green / white Kawasaki jacket. He said that you weren't supposed to wear green on a bike, but he didn't know why.

Anyone ever heard of this before??? :confused:

It's not like I'm going to sell my jacket, I'm just curious...

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
never even heard of it before

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
all i know is you shouldnt ride a bike that changes colors, especially a zx11 ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
colors in the visible spectrum.

red, and bright colors are most easily noticed by the human eye. Green looks like the shoulder of the road. in most areas. This could be what the guy was getting to, or why he had this idea. The better people see me the safer I am. Contrasting colors are good for riders, that the other drivers will see them easier. Every close call I've ever had was because the driver of the car didn't look, or just didn't see me.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ARKninjaZX9 said:
all i know is you shouldnt ride a bike that changes colors, especially a zx11 ;)
Whew! Good thing I own a colour-changing ZZR 1100. :twofinger

spidieR6 said:
red, and bright colors are most easily noticed by the human eye. Green looks like the shoulder of the road. in most areas. This could be what the guy was getting to, or why he had this idea. The better people see me the safer I am. Contrasting colors are good for riders, that the other drivers will see them easier. Every close call I've ever had was because the driver of the car didn't look, or just didn't see me.
That's why I bought a bright yellow helmet. ;) With the new bike, though, people don't notice anything about me. The day I got it, a guy at a petrol station said he's seen me two hours earlier. I said, "No, that was the previous owner." He didn't notice the dfferent colour helmet or jacket, just the bike! But, hey, if it makes me safe, I'm happy! :thumb:

Kevlar7R said:
Wearing green here in Phoenix assures that you will contrast with your surroundings. There isn't a whole lot of green around here. :)
Yeah, not much green around my area, too, at the moment. :crying:

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
LOL....sorry mate, forgot about that european ZZR business but it dont matter, cause its still a NINJA ! WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO !

·
Registered
860 Posts
From what I understand, Green is considered bad luck in the Auto racing world. As well as eating peanuts in the pits. I would only assume this carried over to Motorcycles as well.

I've also heard that Mr. Davidson thought green was bad due to reasons listed above about blending in and b/c he just didn't like the color. So that might explain the HD myth.

Then there was something about weird tree nymphs...I don't remember the whole story about that one, though.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Actually, your eyes are more receptive to green light, we gain better visual acuity at lower light levels. We also gain better contrasts because of our sensitivity to green light. Main reason why night vision are displayed in green and why most CCD or CMOS sensors have 2x the amount of pixel density compared to the other two colors (red and blue. For every 4 pixels, 2 are green).

Green is also a big marketing move by Kawasaki as it differentiates their bikes among others. This adds distinction that consumers can see as value. This is what branding and associations can do. When you think of "green" and "bike", you will think of Kawasaki first, maybe mongoose.

·
Registered
338 Posts
JBaz said:
Actually, your eyes are more receptive to green light, we gain better visual acuity at lower light levels. We also gain better contrasts because of our sensitivity to green light. Main reason why night vision are displayed in green and why most CCD or CMOS sensors have 2x the amount of pixel density compared to the other two colors (red and blue. For every 4 pixels, 2 are green).

Green is also a big marketing move by Kawasaki as it differentiates their bikes among others. This adds distinction that consumers can see as value. This is what branding and associations can do. When you think of "green" and "bike", you will think of Kawasaki first, maybe mongoose.
Your talking about light sensitivity in light (brightness) is perceived easier than color. Orange is the color best perceived by the eyes and mind and is the reason why construction workers wear orange vests and use orange cones and other stuff. Green in night vision is to illuminate the black white display without making it too bright which would affect your night vision once you stopped looking at the screen. Green for a bike or jacket depending on where you live is not a very good color, it blends with alot of stuff and isn't catchy to the eye.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Nope, I'm talking about color contrast. Technically the color red has the highest color perception with green next. The reason why red isn't chosen in night vision technology (although there were some iterations of it) is the fact that green is more pleasant to the eyes. The contrast ratio from black to red is lower than black to green so more detail can be depicted in green light then what would normally be lost in red light. It also can show better highlights then red.

In the human eye, there are three color receptors (S, M, L-cones). The M-cones covers Bluish-Green (450-630 nm) and L-cones covers Yellowish-Green (500-700 nm) so you have the ability to sense green more readably. S-cones are Blue and cover the 400-500nm wave lengths. Green is around the 530nm wavelength.

Fun Fact:
perhaps as much as 10% of women posses a fourth color receptor and could explain why women are more in depth to color then men (picky or bitchy, however you want to call it).

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, some very interesting points there, guys. I think 'Baz just managed to "out-geek" Catback. :p

The "green being bad luck in racing" almost sounds plausible but for one thing; British Racing Green. It's been around since 1900.

Any more hypotheses???

·
Registered
526 Posts
racing

when I raced my stock cars it was always brought up about greeen is a bad luck color in stock cars. same as the eating peanuts in the pits and also a car with the number 13 on it. there were a couple other things too just dont remeber them anymore.

·
Registered
46 Posts
fire trucks are red

A lot of sience can be discussed. Why don't we just not wear green, and then people won't think we have bad luck. I think Kawi's green is outside the bad luck spectrum.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
spidieR6 said:
Fire trucks are red
Not all of them. Our rural fire brigade trucks are bright yellow.

Found this interesting study on fire truck colours.

Also found this amusing answer to why fire trucks are red:

Firetrucks have four wheels and eight men.
Four and eight make twelve.
There are twelve inches in a foot.
Rulers are a foot long.
Queen Elizabeth II is a ruler and is also the name of the largest ship that sails the seven seas.
Seas have fish and fish have fins.
The Finns fought the Russians and the Russians are red.
Firetrucks are always Russian.
Therefore, firetrucks are red.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts