Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lil' suzi'll start in gear, you have to hav the clutch in for the starter to go, you just have put the side stand up :).

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Help!

My '88 Ninja 600 could be push started, as well as other street bikes I have owned....even my old moped from jr.high push started.

The dealer has told me though, that my (first new) bike cannot be push started. I have tried it a couple times (when I let my battery die)....and it will not push start. Can someone explain the difference for the not-so-mechanically-knowledgable?

Thanks!

------------------
Had:86 Ninja,83 CBC250,
78 CB750 & a moped!
Have:99 Kat
Mike

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's weird, the kat can't be push started? i didn't know that. i don't know if i've push started the gsxr, i'll have to try. sometimes on downhill stoplights, i shut bikes off and them let them roll and start 'em up.

i'll have to see.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
:rolleyes: Suzuki :rolleyes:

Just kidding, I gotta get my digs when I can!

IMO, that sounds like a safety issue. Just say... your coming up to a stop light and give the bike a little too much rear brake and lock it up -and the bike engine dies because it was in gear. SO, now you have to put the bike in neutral (cuz they wont start with the electric while in gear) and restart with the electric starter??? Sounds nuts!

------------------
Kyle J.-
email:[email protected]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks!

I swear though, I had a few good push starts with someone behind be and the thing would not turn over....maybe we didn't try hard enough....

...and was that an 88 or 86 ninja...I don't remember...hehe...

------------------
78 CB750 & a moped!
Mike

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
katana's are carbs and fuel pump, like a zx7 or fzr400. the 400 can be push stared. actually the pump on my fizzer is shorting out on it and it'll start even if the pump doesn't work.

------------------
Tony

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
It all depends on HOW DEAD the battery is.
If you left the lights on all day and forgot,
yeah there is probably no way it will start.
Asside from the fuel pump issues with fuel
injection.. Most magnetos don't have enough
juice to try and charge the complete dead
battery and run the coils for ignition. So
you don't get good enough spark. You can try
and disconnection your headlight sometimes
this helps but it doesn't always work with a
completely dead battery.

Chris :p

------------------
If the front wheel's in the air, Your front tire you will spare.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
chris is totally right, i didn't read the dead battery part.

anyway, the fuel injected gsxr750 w/ fuel pump can be push started on a good battery, i tried it.

------------------
Tony

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok. Yeah...the BAD thing about my Kat is there is no Headlight indicator! For a bike being in the beginner price arena, that is a mistake. I left my lights on 2 times the first year I had it.

Thought about installing a manual switch, but then THAT is just one more thing to think about. Instead I have gotten into a habbit (day or night) of placing my glove about 5 centimeters infront of the headlight while turning my key to the PROPER position, to check the reflection. This has been working for me the last 7 months...

:D

------------------
78 CB750 & a moped!
Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts