Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been searchin around out of boredom and reading old posts and such and I've noticed a hell of a lot of suggestions for wheelies that say "tug/pull on the bars". Um... anyone ever thought this one out? Honestly? Think about it. You're standing on THE BIKE... yup, you're on the pegs. You stand up, maybe give ONE bounce (the whole half dozen bounces thing confuses me as well) and power up/clutch up your wheelie and tug on the bars? Now tell me what in the world thats gonna do? You're not pulling the bike off the ground, you're attached to it! there is nothing that gets any force added to it that could possibly help raise the bike. You're simply yanking on the clipons, and they don't go anywhere. Don't believe it does no good? Go out to your bike. Stand on the pegs, and just tug the bars. Then look at yourself and go "oh... shit. It doesn't do anything". Tugging on the bars only effects your body position. Its a bad habit and bad advice. Bouncing can be very helpful. Sometimes necessary. As far as multiple bounces, I don't get it. But if it works for you then fine. Just be careful with your body position. I don't want to hear about anyone getting hurt because they were misinformed or were doing something unnecessary

The reason I made this thread is because my brother brought a friend over last night who just got a new bike. Went for a ride with him and he was trying to wheelie by jumpin on the bike and powering it up with a tuggin on the bars. Almost got himself and one of the guys riding with us hurt really bad. He got his wheelie info off a board like this one. I'd hate to see one of our members doing somethin like this. So consider this constructive critisism. Thats my :2cents:

~ the super :squid:

·
Registered
105 Posts
I hear you man...

I believe that yanking on the clip-ons only helps you because you end up (inadvertently) shifting your weight back. This helps to get the front end off the ground initially.

I think the moral is:
1. When you yank on the clip-ons you are jerking the forks one way or the other. Try comming down with your front wheel turned. Bad idea!
2. You may think you are helping, but it is just your weight shift that is helping.

The bike will come up. People need to figure out how to get it up using the power that the bike has and the clutch as a motivator.

Listen to me...I cannot even ride one out and I am acting like I know what I am talking about.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Try this, get a bicycle, stand on the back pegs, and jerk on the bars, the front end will come off the ground, it is how you do manuals on a bicycle.
So in theory you are helping the bike come up.
Now i'm not saying that is the best way to bring up a wheelie, i know i do not clutch my wheelies up, so i do give a small bounce when i pull it up in third, and as i bounce i am giving the bars a pull.

·
Registered
105 Posts
LOL, with not much effort, stock gearing, i have brought it up in 4th, no clutch, but its alot of work
How can it be done with not much effort, but still be alot of work???

Anyway, tell me how to do one in third without a clutch.

I can only do one in second at the perfect time. In other words, the road has to be slightly inclined and I must really lean back.

·
Registered
434 Posts
What i meant was, 3rd is almost effortless, 4th is alot of work, that is on my 1000.

On my 750, third is quite a bit of work, you gotta be in the power range, and preload, and pull, but it will come up, i prob got some video of third gear hwy wheelies on that bike. Secon on that bike should be pretty effortless.

But it's all in practice, i cannot tell you how many people have said that their new 600 would not pull up in second, then i get on their bike and pull it up in second, and third

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Welp roadstain, while I dont disagree that its bad form, it does do something.
If you pull on the bars, you are using your body as a lever and pushing on the pegs. In effect you are transfering weight to the back of the bike. Also its hard to tug on the bars while leaned forward, so you are also moving your weight higher up, which helps for a wheelie.

Again, I agree that its bad form and shouldnt be done.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Vash, if I ride my 600R to Lexington in Oct, will you show me how to do a better wheelie?

I can do one about 1/5 tries, and that one comes up a ways (no idea how far) and then most of the time I slam it back down. Every once in a while I'll set it back down easy. Once in a great while I'll chase it for 15-20ft before I set it down, but most of the time I just bring it up and get scared as it feels like it's still coming up (it is because I don't have that good throttle control) and chop off the throttle.

Knees locked on the tank save my manhood!

·
Registered
414 Posts
When pulling on the bars your body will act as a lever. when standing or sitting it will not do anything but maybe help a little with weight transfer because of the backwards jerking motion. If you stand on the rear pegs jerking on the bars will do something. I have also seen riders bounce a dozen times. I tend to give my bike one or two bounces before I will power it up. Bouncing will just take your weight off of the bike thus making the front end of the bike easier to come up.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, what I was goin with for this is the fact that it isn't necessary. Yes, it does help with weight transfer, but if you clutch it right there's no need for it. Powering, well we all know where I stand on that. But to each thier own I guess. thats a battle I will probably never win. I still wanna see someone stunt a parking lot or do tank wheelies powering it. Yes, on a bicycle (which doesn't weigh dick) you can lift the front off. But like I said. Short of throwing weight backwards, on a motorcycle there are no moving parts that are lifted or moved. Just your weight gettin tossed to the back wheel. In effect you're only messing with your body position. Why tug on the bars and risk messin up your body position or twisting the bars just to lean back. Why not just .... lean back? You don't even have to worry about it if you do your stand ups staggered stance.

As far as bouncing.. I bounce 4th gear wheelies up. Highway wheelies on a geared bike are too high in the rpm range for 2nd gear. put it in 4th, give one bounce to rebound the shocks and clutch it up. Its all in timing. Just like with powering it. All the same I just use the clutch. I've just never been comfortable with powering due to the need to chase it to bp and it really is unpredictable. I've bounced up 4th gear on a stock 600rr just to prove a point to someone. I could bring my gixxer up in 6th. It's all timing and technique. One technique that I've found does more harm than good, is tugging on the bars. To each thier own. If you feel it helps, then so be it. But honestly, I don't see any reason in it.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Sindic:
Sure. I've never wheelied a 600 (I dont commonly wheelie other peoples bikes) but I'm sure I can figure it out in a few tries. Same thing only more revs right?
Honestly, it sounds like you are on the right track. You are just in that scared phase of chopping the throttle as soon as the bike comes up. Try hitting the rear brake instead of chopping the throttle. Teach yourself a good habit. And after that its just practice.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I am not doubting 3rd gear wheelies, I said without a clutch.

Also, I realize that you could shift up to third, fourth, fifth, sixth.

I just have never seen anyone do a throtle wheelie in third with no clutch.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I've seen it done, even in forth, but I swear there is some vodoo involved. I couldnt power wheelie in second, on a liter...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts